Kelly "Best QB ever for the Bills"/ Who is number 2?

HT02

Our history with RBs is so much better:

http://www.pro-football-reference.com/teams/buf/career-rushing.htm

Darryl Lamonica mostly sat the bench for us and had his best years elsewhere.

Bledsoe was good for about a half-season for us.

Flutie, IMHO, is the most overrated QB in Bills history. The D would play good for 4 quarters while Flutie would play good for 1 quarter - the 4th - and get all the credit.

Ferguson's job in the beginning was to hand off to OJ. But over the years he eventually developed into a fine QB.

Jack Kemp had better leadership skills than passing skills.

Dennis Shaw was offensive rookie of the year way back when. But was never actually any good.

I'll go with Kemp at #2 but it's a sad list.

Edited by hondo in seattle

• Replies 147
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

1. Brady

2. Bledsoe

3. Grogan

4. Eason had one good year lol

Can I count Plunkett even though they traded him to the Raiders? (Ugh talk about an incompetent organization back then.)

I always use Plunkett when we talk about late bloomers at the QB position. It took that guy a long time to turn into a good NFL QB.

Okay so I thought I'd start a, hopefully fun, off-season "or hanging out in the bar" Bills discussion. Two part question...

I was just reading this article on TBD about Whaley meeting with Chad Kelly (http://www.newyorkupstate.com/buffalo-bills/index.ssf/2017/01/senior_bowl_2017_chad_kelly_draft_doug_whaley_buffalo_bills_jim_kelly.html) and it contained the pretty much undisputed statement that " Chad's uncle Jim is the best to ever play the position for the Bills". It got me thinking, who is the second best QB in Bills history, most likely Joe Ferguson, Jack Kemp or maybe Daryle Lamonica.

Secondly, which team has the biggest gap between GOAT (greatest of all time) for the franchise versus second best. The Jets came to mind immediately Joe Namath and ????? Testaverde? Ken O'Brien? Boomer? Not an impressive lot. When considering your answer I'm defining best/second best in terms of years with that team. As an example with the Jets you couldn't list Brett Farve because although he is HOF quality he wasn't in his year with the Jersey Jets.

(*meeting with Chad Kelly* (shudder))

I would have to say #2 Jack Kemp. I don't see how there can be a dispute on that. I would say there could be an argument for him being #1. Just a tough, smart player.

1) 4 straight AFL playoffs (5 total), 2 straight AFL Championships.

2) The game was very different then, but in his time, he led the league in career completions and yards gained passing (can't compare total passing yards or completions to a modern QB).

3) Not thought of as a scrambling or running QB, he is also #3 all time (NFL or AFL) rushing TD by a QB.

IMHO having Broadway Joe selected above him as the "All time AFL team" QB was in no way deserved. Nothing against Broadway Joe, but it was mostly a case of "I heard of him" due to his "superbowl guarantee".

I know I said it, but I'll say it again: you can't compare completion percentage or yards gained passing to a modern QB, or even a QB of Kelly's era. The game was different then. You could knock the WR into next week. You could knock the QB into next week, well after he threw the pass. Different game.

Edited by Hapless Bills Fan

1. Brady

2. Bledsoe

3. Grogan

4. Eason had one good year lol

Can I count Plunkett even though they traded him to the Raiders? (Ugh talk about an incompetent organization back then.)

Not a knock at you PatsFanNH but I'd be surprised to know how many current Pat's fans can even list 5 of their starting qbs.

I love stats as many here know, but one can't use stats to compare a 60s era QB to a 90s era QB to a modern QB.

If Tom Brady played in the '60s, he'd have been begging for mercy. If Ryan Fitzpatrick played in the '60s, Wall Street woulda looked mighty good.

Not really. He was always a talented NFL QB who was beaten to hell with the Patriots and 49ers.

Maybe so. But he wasn't viewed as being talented when he was completing less than 50% of his passes in his years in New England.

All his stats were better with the Raiders, even 1983 when he was sacked 42 times (more than he was ever sacked in Beantown).

I think the Raider offense better suited him. But I also think he grew as a QB over the years.

Maybe so. But he wasn't viewed as being talented when he was completing less than 50% of his passes in his years in New England.

All his stats were better with the Raiders, even 1983 when he was sacked 42 times (more than he was ever sacked in Beantown).

I think the Raider offense better suited him. But I also think he grew as a QB over the years.

He didn't have a lot to work with in either NE or SF.

Our history with RBs is so much better:

http://www.pro-football-reference.com/teams/buf/career-rushing.htm

Darryl Lamonica mostly sat the bench for us and had his best years elsewhere.

Bledsoe was good for about a half-season for us.

Flutie, IMHO, is the most overrated QB in Bills history. The D would play good for 4 quarters while Flutie would play good for 1 quarter - the 4th - and get all the credit.

Ferguson's job in the beginning was to hand off to OJ. But over the years he eventually developed into a fine QB.

Jack Kemp had better leadership skills than passing skills.

Dennis Shaw was offensive rookie of the year way back when. But was never actually any good.

I'll go with Kemp at #2 but it's a sad list.

Sad is an understatement.

1.Kelly

2.Ferguson

3. Kemp

Very easy for me, Fergie was a much better passer than Kemp and didn't have the supporting cast. Also, he didn't get yanked for the backup QB. Kemp was the weakest part of the championship teams.

Fergie had great talent around him. OJ, Cribbs, Butler, Frank Lewis, Chandler and one of the best O lines of that era. He wasn't very good.

Edited by klos63

Only 3...

1. Kelly

2. Kemp (2 championships)

3. Fergy

Everyone else is a reach.

That's what I think also, Lamonica came off the bench and won some exciting games, but Kemp was still the man. However, Lamonica never should have been traded. If he stayed in Buffalo he'd be on this list.