Kelly "Best QB ever for the Bills"/ Who is number 2?

HT02

Kelly was surrounded by talent

Wil Wilford (3X pro bowl), Jim Richter(2X pro bowl), Kent Hull(3X pro bowl), John Davis, House Ballard(2X pro bowl)

Andre Reed(7X pro bowl), james lofton (8X pro bowl), Don Beebe, Pete Metzelaars

Thurmond Thomas (5X pro bowl, NFL MVP)

• Replies 147
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Kelly was surrounded by talent

Wil Wilford (3X pro bowl), Jim Richter(2X pro bowl), Kent Hull(3X pro bowl), John Davis, House Ballard(2X pro bowl)

Andre Reed(7X pro bowl), james lofton (8X pro bowl), Don Beebe, Pete Metzelaars

Thurmond Thomas (5X pro bowl, NFL MVP)

and 3 of those Pro Bowlers are in the Hall of Fame. Not too shabby an offense, was it?

Oh, and Keith McKeller and Kenny Davis too.

Flutie is so under rated, he had us in the playoffs two years in a row. Without him there is a good chance the franchise would have moved to LA and the year they cut him loose we were 8 - 8, the gold standard for this bunch today.

As Utah John commented, that defense had us in the playoffs, not Flutie.

1999 was arguably Flutie's best year with the Bills. He had a 10-5 record as a starter. He thew for 3171 yards (barely 200 yards per game) - his most as a Bill and the 2nd best yardage total of his long career.

Our D was ranked #1 in the league that year. The D allowed a paltry 14.3 points per game.

Our O, on the other hand, was pedestrian. We were 16th in the NFL in scoring, managing just 20 points per game. And that's despite a defense that gave the ball to the offense in good field position.

To make a modern comparison, when TT was playing with ALynn as OC, the Bills averaged 27 points per game. And that's despite a D that typically gave the ball to the O in bad field position.

Edited by hondo in seattle

My opinion ('Modern era'):

1. Kelly

2. Taylor

3. Flutie

4. Bledsoe

5. Fitzpatrick

Using PFR's tools:

Top 10 'Modern Era' Bills QBs going by Adjusted Net Yards per Attempt

Rk	Player			Cmp%	Yds	TD	TD%	Int	Int%	Y/G	Rate	ANY/A
1	Tyrod Taylor		62.6	6058	37	4.5	12	1.5	208.9	94.2	6.55
2	Doug Flutie		56.3	7582	47	4.4	30	2.8	194.4	81.7	6.17
3	Jim Kelly		60.1	35467	237	5.0	175	3.7	221.7	84.4	5.86
4	Kyle Orton		64.2	3018	18	4.0	10	2.2	251.5	87.8	5.69
5	Thaddeus Lewis		59.2	1092	4	2.5	3	1.9	182.0	81.0	5.35
6	Ryan Fitzpatrick	59.8	11654	80	4.6	64	3.7	211.9	79.8	5.33
7	Rob Johnson		60.5	4798	27	4.1	17	2.6	159.9	85.5	5.06
8	Drew Bledsoe		59.1	10151	55	3.6	43	2.8	211.5	79.2	5.00
9	Frank Reich		58.9	2540	18	4.8	12	3.2	27.3	81.9	4.99
10	EJ Manuel		58.3	3502	19	3.5	15	2.7	120.8	77.5	4.98

I am a Pats fan but are you trying to say TT is better than Kelly? If so you are very very high.

He had skills, but rarely took advantage of those skills. He made the most bonehead plays at the most critical times. I've said this many times on here, Jay Cutler is Fergie cloned. For fans too young to have seen him play, just watch Cutler. It's amazing. Super talented, mentally just doesn't have the fortitude and makes horrible decisions.

I originally objected to the categorization of "not very good", without getting into a deep semantical argument, I think his record shows better than that.

As for Cutler, consulting PFR, I think Joe at his peak had superior normalized passer ratings. He had a couple of especially good seasons at avoiding interceptions.

I'm not saying he was a hall of famer, and like anyone else he had his flaws. He did have a tendency to show bad body language at times. I don't think he was as poor a leader as Cutler. I remember him playing with a "severally" injured ankle against SD in the playoffs, and providing inspirational leadership to the team. Cutler OTOH we have all seen him bag out on his team in the playoffs due to more minor injury.

Thanks for the interesting dialogue.

I originally objected to the categorization of "not very good", without getting into a deep semantical argument, I think his record shows better than that.

As for Cutler, consulting PFR, I think Joe at his peak had superior normalized passer ratings. He had a couple of especially good seasons at avoiding interceptions.

I'm not saying he was a hall of famer, and like anyone else he had his flaws. He did have a tendency to show bad body language at times. I don't think he was as poor a leader as Cutler. I remember him playing with a "severally" injured ankle against SD in the playoffs, and providing inspirational leadership to the team. Cutler OTOH we have all seen him bag out on his team in the playoffs due to more minor injury.

Thanks for the interesting dialogue.

His performance against SD in the playoff game with the severally injured ankle was probably his finest hour. If only Charlie Romes picked that Fouts pass off....

Daryle Lamonica , the mad bomber

Great choice. He played well enough to split time with Kemp -then was all-world for the Raiders before Stabler.

I'll likely get grief here, but its a toss up for me between Fergy and Frank Reich. Both were steady for years, and occasionally great. Frank obviously didn't have as many starts, but he made more out of his starts (with a very talented roster) with game management and TD's to INT's.