Kelly "Best QB ever for the Bills"/ Who is number 2?

HT02

Flutie is so under rated, he had us in the playoffs two years in a row. Without him there is a good chance the franchise would have moved to LA and the year they cut him loose we were 8 - 8, the gold standard for this bunch today.

He's certainly one of my all time favorite players.

• Replies 147
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Our history with RBs is so much better:

http://www.pro-football-reference.com/teams/buf/career-rushing.htm

Darryl Lamonica mostly sat the bench for us and had his best years elsewhere.

Bledsoe was good for about a half-season for us.

Flutie, IMHO, is the most overrated QB in Bills history. The D would play good for 4 quarters while Flutie would play good for 1 quarter - the 4th - and get all the credit.

Ferguson's job in the beginning was to hand off to OJ. But over the years he eventually developed into a fine QB.

Jack Kemp had better leadership skills than passing skills.

Dennis Shaw was offensive rookie of the year way back when. But was never actually any good.

I'll go with Kemp at #2 but it's a sad list.

I see we have some alternative facts seeping in here.

I originally objected to the categorization of "not very good", without getting into a deep semantical argument, I think his record shows better than that.

As for Cutler, consulting PFR, I think Joe at his peak had superior normalized passer ratings. He had a couple of especially good seasons at avoiding interceptions.

I'm not saying he was a hall of famer, and like anyone else he had his flaws. He did have a tendency to show bad body language at times. I don't think he was as poor a leader as Cutler. I remember him playing with a "severally" injured ankle against SD in the playoffs, and providing inspirational leadership to the team. Cutler OTOH we have all seen him bag out on his team in the playoffs due to more minor injury.

Thanks for the interesting dialogue.

Yeah, I remember Fergy walking to the sidelines with his head down after throwing an interception.

1. Brady**

2. Bledsoe

3. Grogan

4. Eason had one good year lol

Can I count Plunkett even though they traded him to the Raiders? (Ugh talk about an incompetent organization back then.)

**Caught cheating & messing with the integrity of the game numerous times.

He forgot to add: "Without including cheaters, only honest players allowed"

I corrected your list.

So, in conclusion, not much of drop-off between Bledsoe & Grogan, both led team to Super Bowl.

Anyway I would say Bears:

Sid Luckman

Jay Cutler

But... It has been so long between the two who the hell remembers Luckman playing? Then all the scrubs in the middle!

So time between two makes Bears my choice. And you think Bills got it bad!

The Kemp of the championship teams was the team leader and game manager. He was a decent passer. He was good enough to direct those teams to conference championships. The Kemp of the late 60's lost his arm strength and could not throw a sideline pass. Unfortunately, he kept trying. I used to say he was excellent at isolating the linebacker, for the interception. As bad as he was at that point and as much as I hated him then, you still have to give him credit for those previous years.

I first understood football in '68 and really got it in '69. I just remember Kemp being bad......But, I remember my father and uncle saying "he knows what to do. He just can't do it anymore."

I loved his quote when he ran for Congress (I think in '70) - when he got elected he said the people voted for him because he said if he didn't win, he'd keep playing.

Good list and Lamonica is in there somewhere as well.

The largest gap IMO is probably the Saints from Brees to Manning. I know that his teams sucked but there is quite a gap between what they accomplished. He had a few good (to great) years but there is a pretty big difference IMO. Denver comes to mind as well but Manning had those great few years too. How about the Patriots?

Who is #2 in Minny after Fran? Who are 1 and 2 in Tampa? What about Seattle. I would think RW is there long enough now to be #1, but who is #2? What about Atlanta?

Who is #2 in Minny after Fran? Who are 1 and 2 in Tampa? What about Seattle. I would think RW is there long enough now to be #1, but who is #2? What about Atlanta?

Tommy Kramer. Steve Young & Doug Williams. Dave Krieg. Steve Bartkowski/MikeVick/Chris Chandler

As Utah John commented, that defense had us in the playoffs, not Flutie.

1999 was arguably Flutie's best year with the Bills. He had a 10-5 record as a starter. He thew for 3171 yards (barely 200 yards per game) - his most as a Bill and the 2nd best yardage total of his long career.

Our D was ranked #1 in the league that year. The D allowed a paltry 14.3 points per game.

Our O, on the other hand, was pedestrian. We were 16th in the NFL in scoring, managing just 20 points per game. And that's despite a defense that gave the ball to the offense in good field position.

To make a modern comparison, when TT was playing with ALynn as OC, the Bills averaged 27 points per game. And that's despite a D that typically gave the ball to the O in bad field position.

THANK YOU

Flutie was overrated, he sucked all game and would pull some BS out of his ass late.

Hmm I am shocked hear so many people think this. I thought for sure he be like a God since he was the last QB good enough and CLUTCH enough to get the Bills into the playoffs.

This is very interesting indeed!

He forgot to add: "Without including cheaters, only honest players allowed"

I corrected your list.

So, in conclusion, not much of drop-off between Bledsoe & Grogan, both led team to Super Bowl.

Anyway I would say Bears:

Sid Luckman

Jay Cutler

But... It has been so long between the two who the hell remembers Luckman playing? Then all the scrubs in the middle!

So time between two makes Bears my choice. And you think Bills got it bad!

Stay salty my friend!!! Lol

Chris Hogan with the perfect passer rating lol

Actually, Preston Ridlehuber! 158.3 passer rating. 45 yards PER ATTEMPT! Anybody else remember that game?

From Wikipedia: His most notable Buffalo Bills highlight came during a game against the 0–5 then called Boston Patriots. Preston was a backup running back with the 2–3 Bills. O.J. Simpson had been concussed in Houston the week before and was not dressed for the Patriots game. Fullback Wayne Patrick (number 30) had run 17 times for 131 yards. Max Anderson (number 22) also known as Mini Max Anderson had 10 carries for 46 yards.

Mini Max was injured during a collision on the field. His face mask shattered and Anderson's teeth were broken and lying on the turf. While medical personnel were administering to Max, Bill's coach John Rauch called for Preston along the sideline. The score was tied 16–16 late in the 4th quarter. Rauch knelt down and drew a play out in the dirt. The play, a halfback option play, had been practiced for the last couple of weeks. It was originally planned for O.J. to throw a short pass to the Tight end. The Bills were in a short yardage situation, and this pass completion would keep the drive alive.

Preston took the play into the huddle and the play was set in motion. On the snap, Ridlehuber who had been a quarterback at Georgia, noticed that the Patriots cornerback was closing in on the Tight end. His better judgement told him, to look elsewhere for an available receiver. He then saw Bills wide receiver Haven Moses wide open. He tossed a pass to the open Moses and he scored a touchdown on the long 45-yard pass completion.

When he returned to the bench, Coach Rauch congratulated him, and said: 'Be glad it worked.' The play gave the Bills a 23–16 lead. This touchdown stood up and was the final score. Notably, during that game, his regular jersey number (37) was ripped; as such, a replacement jersey with the number 31 was given to him to wear instead. The number 31 was retired for most of the team's history to represent a generic player and the "spirit of the franchise;" Ridlehuber would be the only player to wear the number for the Bills until it was unceremoniously put back into circulation in 1991.

Yeah, I remember Fergy walking to the sidelines with his head down after throwing an interception.

You would too with some of the teams he played with

I originally objected to the categorization of "not very good", without getting into a deep semantical argument, I think his record shows better than that.

As for Cutler, consulting PFR, I think Joe at his peak had superior normalized passer ratings. He had a couple of especially good seasons at avoiding interceptions.

I'm not saying he was a hall of famer, and like anyone else he had his flaws. He did have a tendency to show bad body language at times. I don't think he was as poor a leader as Cutler. I remember him playing with a "severally" injured ankle against SD in the playoffs, and providing inspirational leadership to the team. Cutler OTOH we have all seen him bag out on his team in the playoffs due to more minor injury.

Thanks for the interesting dialogue.

It was a sprained MCL. Not a minor injury.

Actually, Preston Ridlehuber! 158.3 passer rating. 45 yards PER ATTEMPT! Anybody else remember that game?

From Wikipedia: His most notable Buffalo Bills highlight came during a game against the 0–5 then called Boston Patriots. Preston was a backup running back with the 2–3 Bills. O.J. Simpson had been concussed in Houston the week before and was not dressed for the Patriots game. Fullback Wayne Patrick (number 30) had run 17 times for 131 yards. Max Anderson (number 22) also known as Mini Max Anderson had 10 carries for 46 yards.

Mini Max was injured during a collision on the field. His face mask shattered and Anderson's teeth were broken and lying on the turf. While medical personnel were administering to Max, Bill's coach John Rauch called for Preston along the sideline. The score was tied 16–16 late in the 4th quarter. Rauch knelt down and drew a play out in the dirt. The play, a halfback option play, had been practiced for the last couple of weeks. It was originally planned for O.J. to throw a short pass to the Tight end. The Bills were in a short yardage situation, and this pass completion would keep the drive alive.

Preston took the play into the huddle and the play was set in motion. On the snap, Ridlehuber who had been a quarterback at Georgia, noticed that the Patriots cornerback was closing in on the Tight end. His better judgement told him, to look elsewhere for an available receiver. He then saw Bills wide receiver Haven Moses wide open. He tossed a pass to the open Moses and he scored a touchdown on the long 45-yard pass completion.

When he returned to the bench, Coach Rauch congratulated him, and said: 'Be glad it worked.' The play gave the Bills a 23–16 lead. This touchdown stood up and was the final score. Notably, during that game, his regular jersey number (37) was ripped; as such, a replacement jersey with the number 31 was given to him to wear instead. The number 31 was retired for most of the team's history to represent a generic player and the "spirit of the franchise;" Ridlehuber would be the only player to wear the number for the Bills until it was unceremoniously put back into circulation in 1991.

I Do. This was a year removed from the infamous Heidi Game, where Preston R scored one of the dramatic TD's in the last minute to steal a win over Joe Willie.