Kelly "Best QB ever for the Bills"/ Who is number 2?

HT02

It was a sprained MCL. Not a minor injury.

Meanwhile Jordy Nelson played with 2 Broken ribs, Rivers some year back played against the Pats (and played well) with a torn up knee as well. Hell Mankind played a year and all playoffs on a torn MCL.

My point is when playoffs come around and your the team leader you NEED suck it up and play

• Replies 147
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Meanwhile Jordy Nelson played with 2 Broken ribs, Rivers some year back played against the Pats (and played well) with a torn up knee as well. Hell Mankind played a year and all playoffs on a torn MCL.

My point is when playoffs come around and your the team leader you NEED suck it up and play

I remember being shocked that he never returned in that game. Do I know I'm being totally fair? No. Are there guys who battle through and come through? Yes.

I believe the latter is who I want as my QB.

Actually, Preston Ridlehuber! 158.3 passer rating. 45 yards PER ATTEMPT! Anybody else remember that game?

From Wikipedia: His most notable Buffalo Bills highlight came during a game against the 0–5 then called Boston Patriots. Preston was a backup running back with the 2–3 Bills. O.J. Simpson had been concussed in Houston the week before and was not dressed for the Patriots game. Fullback Wayne Patrick (number 30) had run 17 times for 131 yards. Max Anderson (number 22) also known as Mini Max Anderson had 10 carries for 46 yards.

Mini Max was injured during a collision on the field. His face mask shattered and Anderson's teeth were broken and lying on the turf. While medical personnel were administering to Max, Bill's coach John Rauch called for Preston along the sideline. The score was tied 16–16 late in the 4th quarter. Rauch knelt down and drew a play out in the dirt. The play, a halfback option play, had been practiced for the last couple of weeks. It was originally planned for O.J. to throw a short pass to the Tight end. The Bills were in a short yardage situation, and this pass completion would keep the drive alive.

Preston took the play into the huddle and the play was set in motion. On the snap, Ridlehuber who had been a quarterback at Georgia, noticed that the Patriots cornerback was closing in on the Tight end. His better judgement told him, to look elsewhere for an available receiver. He then saw Bills wide receiver Haven Moses wide open. He tossed a pass to the open Moses and he scored a touchdown on the long 45-yard pass completion.

When he returned to the bench, Coach Rauch congratulated him, and said: 'Be glad it worked.' The play gave the Bills a 23–16 lead. This touchdown stood up and was the final score. Notably, during that game, his regular jersey number (37) was ripped; as such, a replacement jersey with the number 31 was given to him to wear instead. The number 31 was retired for most of the team's history to represent a generic player and the "spirit of the franchise;" Ridlehuber would be the only player to wear the number for the Bills until it was unceremoniously put back into circulation in 1991.

Holy crap, man! Good find!

This was the first Bills game I ever watched. It was 1969 and I was ten at the time. When Mini Max got hurt, there was a report - or maybe just speculation - that he had 'swallowed his tongue.' I had never heard that expression before and was horrified. I had only recently started playing football and was scared that I might swallow my own tongue and live the rest of my life tongue-less. I asked my mom if it was actually possible for someone to swallow their tongue.

Ridlehuber was also the guy who scored the dramatic game-winning TD in the Heidi Game.

Edited by hondo in seattle

I see we have some alternative facts seeping in here.

Actually, the alternative fact is that Flutie was a good QB. He wasn't. Not for four quarters. He did perform some late game heroics in contests that shouldn't have been close in the first place if our offense had been any good.

Let's compare Flutie's very best year with the Bills (1999) with Tyrod's 2016 season. Both had 15 starts...

Flutie: completed 55.2% of his passes for 3171 yards with 6.6 ypa and 19 TDs against 16 INTs. Flutie added 476 yards rushing.

Tyrod: completed 61.7% of his passes for 3023 yards with 6.9 ypa and 17 TDs agains 6 INTs. Tyrod added 580 yards rushing.

They kind of look like the same guy. If anything, Tyrod's stat line might be a bit better.

The big difference? Flutie's Bills had the NFL's #1 D in the NFL and Rex's D sucked. So Flutie played on a team with more wins.

Actually, the alternative fact is that Flutie was a good QB. He wasn't. Not for four quarters. He did perform some late game heroics in contests that shouldn't have been close in the first place if our offense had been any good.

Let's compare Flutie's very best year with the Bills (1999) with Tyrod's 2016 season. Both had 15 starts...

Flutie: completed 55.2% of his passes for 3171 yards with 6.6 ypa and 19 TDs against 16 INTs. Flutie added 476 yards rushing.

Tyrod: completed 61.7% of his passes for 3023 yards with 6.9 ypa and 17 TDs agains 6 INTs. Tyrod added 580 yards rushing.

They kind of look like the same guy. If anything, Tyrod's stat line might be a bit better.

The big difference? Flutie's Bills had the NFL's #1 D in the NFL and Rex's D sucked. So Flutie played on a team with more wins.

Hebleague in 1999 was not the pass happy league it is now and Flutie still passed for more yards! Also Flutie was on the down side of his career, he was old while Taylor is in his prime.

Also Flutie didn't have a RB like McCoy, no he had an aging Thurman Thomas (who only played 5 games) and Antowain Smith who averaged 3.7 yards a carry. I dare say you give him a McCoybtype RB and they blow people out. He had a young Moulds and Price along with an old Andre Reed at WR

I remember being shocked that he never returned in that game. Do I know I'm being totally fair? No. Are there guys who battle through and come through? Yes.

I believe the latter is who I want as my QB.

I'm not fan of Cutler, I think it's ridiculous to criticize for this, there are many other valid reasons to not want cutler as your QB. I'm glad you understand that you are not being fair.

Read about his teammates and coaches supporting him. Lovie Smith even said it was his decision to sit him. Urlacher defends Cutler too.

None of that has anything to do with Cutler and his injury. I am no fan of cutler at all, I just get frustrated when people speak so strongly with no real knowledge of what really happened. And you have no idea of the extent of the injury.

Hebleague in 1999 was not the pass happy league it is now and Flutie still passed for more yards! Also Flutie was on the down side of his career, he was old while Taylor is in his prime.

Also Flutie didn't have a RB like McCoy, no he had an aging Thurman Thomas (who only played 5 games) and Antowain Smith who averaged 3.7 yards a carry. I dare say you give him a McCoybtype RB and they blow people out. He had a young Moulds and Price along with an old Andre Reed at WR

I think we can agree to disagree, though for a Pats fan I do admire your Bills knowledge.

I'm not fan of Cutler, I think it's ridiculous to criticize for this, there are many other valid reasons to not want cutler as your QB. I'm glad you understand that you are not being fair.

Read about his teammates and coaches supporting him. Lovie Smith even said it was his decision to sit him. Urlacher defends Cutler too.

None of that has anything to do with Cutler and his injury. I am no fan of cutler at all, I just get frustrated when people speak so strongly with no real knowledge of what really happened. And you have no idea of the extent of the injury.

Come on man, you've lost the context. I said there are plenty of guys who would've played through it and that's true- that's it.

It was a sprain, the few guys inlisted played with torn muscles and broken bones. Cutler's biggest issue is he is no leader, and to be a good QB younhave to be a leader. And well leaders play hurt.

I think we can agree to disagree, though for a Pats fan I do admire your Bills knowledge.

I followed a Flutie carrier since he played for BC, so those years he was with you guys inpaid closer attention. (I looked up Smith YPC as inthought it was like 3 and I was wrong was closer to 4. Damn memory! Lol) also as a wise strategist once said , it is always best to know your enemy. Edited by PatsFanNH

It was a sprain, the few guys inlisted played with torn muscles and broken bones. Cutler's biggest issue is he is no leader, and to be a good QB younhave to be a leader. And well leaders play hurt.

I followed a Flutie carrier since he played for BC, so those years he was with you guys inpaid closer attention. (I looked up Smith YPC as inthought it was like 3 and I was wrong was closer to 4. Damn memory! Lol) also as a wise strategist once said , it is always best to know your enemy.

So when Kelly missed the Houston comeback game with strained ligaments in his knee, was that poor leadership on his part? He should have played.

Edited by klos63

I first understood football in '68 and really got it in '69. I just remember Kemp being bad......But, I remember my father and uncle saying "he knows what to do. He just can't do it anymore."

I loved his quote when he ran for Congress (I think in '70) - when he got elected he said the people voted for him because he said if he didn't win, he'd keep playing.

Unfortunately you saw him when he was already well downhill. Your father and Uncle were correct. Watching him was so very painful when you familiar with the earlier teams. Even Kelly had trouble with the sideline passes at the end.