Your thoughts on McDermott and his coordinators.

• Replies 95
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I would like to see a consensus of your initial evaluation of the hiring of Sean McDermott and his three coordinators.

I'm not sure why you'd be interested in everyone collectively agreeing on the evaluation but here's mine.

Seems like a good group and there's a lot of reasons to think they're good coaches. However, I'm personally exhausted at having a positive or negative predictions. I just want the Bills to win. I'm not going to overly care about who the QB coach is, etc. These guys, including Whaley and his staff, are the professionals. Do your job the best you can.

I'll go into the season with an open mind about whatever they do because I realize there's a lot of luck involved. I hope we get lucky with a QB and lucky that our head coach knows what he's doing.

Personally, I think the styles of offense and defense that we're talking about make more sense for the players that they have than Rex's caste of characters did. Mcdermott is a 4-3 defensive guy, so I would expect Frazier to be running that system for the Bills. I never understood and still don't understand today why the Bills took a $95 million pass rushing defensive tackle and made him a two-gap nose tackle. The Bills biggest problem last year was their secondary, and that's pretty much Frazier's forte. In terms of Dennison, he worked with Taylor back in the Baltimore days. I'm hoping that will help Taylor out of the gates (assuming he's the quarterback) and that the offense can improve. Denver's offense has been a mess the last couple of seasons, albeit with a carousel of quarterbacks. To boot, Kubiak was calling most of the plays on offense. Not sure what Dennison was actually doing for the Broncos. There's a lot of experience among the guys hired so far. Hopefully that bodes well for next year. Call me cautiously optimistic.

Look good on paper and the experts don't have a bad thing to say about most of them. No "sexiness" to them. Going back to the 4-3 is huge. Frazier having experience not only as a DC but HC is good. If Dennison can put together a decent passing game, the offense should be good.

Edited by Doc

This crew has legit credentials........Rex crew...well, not so much. Rex coaching staff was substantially inbred.....and results showed it. He did keep Crossman....and I think thats OK....given the horses....he can coach them up. I t hink the coordinators are a strength.........not so sure about the position coaches. Would have liked to see some continutiy on the offensive side....Kromer maybe....but, I guess every new head coach wants mostly his own people. With a better receiver corp....and another tackle, the O might be good. Lynn actually was capable as the O coordinator, more so than Roman as we saw. I worry, though, that the new coaching staff will have some time to get to know each other and players. I don't expect to much the first year.........as opposed to Ryan's crew which was a lot of Jets retreads. Rookie owner mistake bringing in Rex and crew to the bills.

This crew has legit credentials........Rex crew...well, not so much. Rex coaching staff was substantially inbred.....and results showed it. He did keep Crossman....and I think thats OK....given the horses....he can coach them up. I t hink the coordinators are a strength.........not so sure about the position coaches. Would have liked to see some continutiy on the offensive side....Kromer maybe....but, I guess every new head coach wants mostly his own people. With a better receiver corp....and another tackle, the O might be good. Lynn actually was capable as the O coordinator, more so than Roman as we saw. I worry, though, that the new coaching staff will have some time to get to know each other and players. I don't expect to much the first year.........as opposed to Ryan's crew which was a lot of Jets retreads. Rookie owner mistake bringing in Rex and crew to the bills.

Means nothing.

I'm not passing anymore judgements until after week 10

Personally, I think the styles of offense and defense that we're talking about make more sense for the players that they have than Rex's caste of characters did. Mcdermott is a 4-3 defensive guy, so I would expect Frazier to be running that system for the Bills. I never understood and still don't understand today why the Bills took a $95 million pass rushing defensive tackle and made him a two-gap nose tackle. The Bills biggest problem last year was their secondary, and that's pretty much Frazier's forte. In terms of Dennison, he worked with Taylor back in the Baltimore days. I'm hoping that will help Taylor out of the gates (assuming he's the quarterback) and that the offense can improve. Denver's offense has been a mess the last couple of seasons, albeit with a carousel of quarterbacks. To boot, Kubiak was calling most of the plays on offense. Not sure what Dennison was actually doing for the Broncos. There's a lot of experience among the guys hired so far. Hopefully that bodes well for next year. Call me cautiously optimistic.

Good post, I'm cautiously optimistic also. I'm a little worried about Dennison but maybe he'll do great in a new setting.