Your thoughts on McDermott and his coordinators.

OK but then who would you be happy with?

Kyle Shanahan as HC, anyone who Kyle wants as OC, Gus Bradley as DC.

I would much rather see a Pete Carroll disciple in Buffalo bringing in that Seattle state of the art defensive Scheme over a Tampa two man. That defense is as outdated as Ryan's

A better special teams coach. It seems that Crossman's ST unit was only good one season when his best bud St Doug Marrone was helping him every week.

A better GM in someone who can actually find the team that franchise QB!! Someone who cab draft more talented players so the team doesn't need to overspend in free agency or get super lucky by having some idiot give away star players.

• Replies 95
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I would much rather see a Pete Carroll disciple in Buffalo bringing in that Seattle state of the art defensive Scheme over a Tampa two man. That defense is as outdated as Ryan's

I am still very doubtful that the Bills are going to run a Tampa 2. I know Frazier has run that in recent years since he hooked up with Dungy in Indianapolis but his history with McDermott goes back to the Jim Johnson defense in Philadelphia. I am convinced that he has come here to run that scheme not the Tampa 2, though Frazier will probably want to use some ideas from his Tampa 2 days.

My take is:

I liked McDermott the best of those they interviewed. He has a strong resume and I like, as a matter of principle, long term assistants. Guys who have coached under more than one successful Head Coach and have had time to really soak in ideas and develop a vision in their heads of the identity they want their team to play with. I think had the Panthers not gone all the way he'd have been a Head Coach last year and I think he has a chance to be a really good one.

I am cautiously optimistic on Frazier, but with the caveat that I don't think he is here to run the Tampa 2. If it turns out he does then I could sour on him pretty quickly.

Similarly on Dennison. I think he has a scheme that is proven successful in this league. He hasn't got a huge track record as a play caller (and play calling and scheme design are completely different tasks) and it will be interesting to see how effective he is, but I think the Bills existing personnel already represents a reasonable fit for his scheme so I have hope it goes well.

Crossman? He goes as his talent goes. If they upgrade the kicker, the punter and either get Easley back or find another top level gunner, and dress 3 or 4 games every week with special teams in mind then he will be effective.

I am still very doubtful that the Bills are going to run a Tampa 2. I know Frazier has run that in recent years since he hooked up with Dungy in Indianapolis but his history with McDermott goes back to the Jim Johnson defense in Philadelphia. I am convinced that he has come here to run that scheme not the Tampa 2, though Frazier will probably want to use some ideas from his Tampa 2 days.

My take is:

I liked McDermott the best of those they interviewed. He has a strong resume and I like, as a matter of principle, long term assistants. Guys who have coached under more than one successful Head Coach and have had time to really soak in ideas and develop a vision in their heads of the identity they want their team to play with. I think had the Panthers not gone all the way he'd have been a Head Coach last year and I think he has a chance to be a really good one.

I am cautiously optimistic on Frazier, but with the caveat that I don't think he is here to run the Tampa 2. If it turns out he does then I could sour on him pretty quickly.

Similarly on Dennison. I think he has a scheme that is proven successful in this league. He hasn't got a huge track record as a play caller (and play calling and scheme design are completely different tasks) and it will be interesting to see how effective he is, but I think the Bills existing personnel already represents a reasonable fit for his scheme so I have hope it goes well.

Crossman? He goes as his talent goes. If they upgrade the kicker, the punter and either get Easley back or find another top level gunner, and dress 3 or 4 games every week with special teams in mind then he will be effective.

Excellent point that you don't hear stated on this forum when about Crossman; an explosive punt returner wouldn't hurt either.

Look good on paper and the experts don't have a bad thing to say about most of them. No "sexiness" to them. Going back to the 4-3 is huge. Frazier having experience not only as a DC but HC is good. If Dennison can put together a decent passing game, the offense should be good.

I like the no "sexiness" comment. We didn't make a big splash like we did signing Rex, and I'm actually good with that. I think Rex gave the defensive players and himself a false sense of accomplishment by having a "defensive guru" running a very talented defense(#4 when he took over). Also, WE ARE NOT WINNING THE OFF-SEASON AND NO ONE IS FULLY PREGNANT! I hated those references. Winning the off-season didn't mean crap without the work and discipline it takes to put out at least a competent defense. Rex missed the boat big time in this regard. So, no "sexy" moves and not winning the off-season to me, means they are going to work their asses off and the coaching staff isn't one to rest on it's "reputation" like Rex mentioned on too many occasions. " well I guess I forgot how to coach defense, huh?" I'm looking forward to a team that looks like it knows what the hell it's doing on defense. I guess I'm saying I like the staff as assembled so far.

Edited by Dopey

I not going to get sucked again in this time. Going to take the patient approach and give them time to implement their plan and fine tune it.

I'm so jaded from the expectations of an immediate winner and starting over every couple of years. My main hope is that all the talk about player accountability and discipline will come to fruition.

charlie-brown-football-kick-o.gif

My take is:

I'm cautiously optimistic about the entire team this year.

From what I see is that McDermott's defense is more about the players than the scheme and if he doesn't have the right players to run his defense it could be a disaster just like with Rex Ryan. The Bills don't have a Luke Kuechly or a Thomas Davis, Shaq Thompson. That Jimmy Johnson scheme relies a lot on zone blitzing out of a 4-3 with cover 2, cover 4 zone.

OTOH, I look at the Seattle defense that has allowed the fewest points the last five years. Yes, they have a bunch of great players and the difference is not all of them are first round picks. In fact, CB Richard Sherman and S Kam Chancellor were both 5th round picks that were selected because they fit a specific body prototype and then were coached up in that defensive scheme.

I was hoping the Bills could get Mike McCoy for OC in Buffalo to fix that outdated Buffalo passing playbook and Gus Bradly as DC to bring in that Seattle scheme to Buffalo..oh well.

As far as Danny Crossman goes, in 2014 under Marrone with the extra game day players all going to special teams the Bills were #4! I feel St Doug helped his good bud Danny mostly because that unit was 30th in 2013 and people were calling for Crossman to be fired.

2013, 30th

2014, 4th

2015, 12th

2016, 23rd

I dunno, I hope I'm wrong but I can't shake the feeling that this is just another Dick Jauron type hire. In someone who will have his players playing their hearts out for him only to see a rash of injuries plague the team year after year.