Rick Dennison new O Coord

Heitz

• Replies 564
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Having just seen the Bills' tweet again, it made me curious...I don't recall seeing a tweet That starts with "We've" before, it's usually "The Bills". Not sure if I'm correct or if it means anything, but found it curious.

Some interesting stuff in there. Sounds like it is impossible to know how much of the offense is Dennison vs. Kubiak, but it seems like a lot of the features of the offense would work well with our personnel and play to our strengths. I always though TT was most effective with misdirection plays, and an offense that featured a FB. We'll find out how Dennison is on his own, apart from Kubiak, but for now I like the direction that the offense could be going with him.

Doing it right requires perfect technique - you have to have your drop and footwork down so well that it looks identical whether it's a pass or run. Tyrod doesn't have those chops yet. Plus it works best where you have a drop back passer - Tyrod prefers shotgun and they did a lot of handoffs from shotgun. That said I wonder if Dennison can adapt to some of the read option stuff that Tyrod prefers.

When did he say this? I realized we run a lot of shotgun but you think its TTs call? Why?

When did he say this? I realized we run a lot of shotgun but you think its TTs call? Why?

You think a running team is lining up in the shotgun (where it's more difficult to run from) because their QB likes lining up under center more?

Bill Belichick has been part of some terrible teams too. Should we just ignore the Superbowls in that case?

I wish I could ignore BB's Super Bowls. Wish they never happened.

But the point is a good one.

Coaches can be awesome but players still need some natural talent.

Totally agree. So we hired a guy with nearly zero NFL play-calling experience...

Let's not pretend Dennison is Sam Wyche. He is Curtis Modkins with Gailey retiring, in essence. And our meticulous HC is a defensive guy. Got it.

And there is NO dysfunction in the organization, they are all just working their asses off. Oooookay.

John Murphy, Chris Brown et al will try to spin this hire masterfully, but I am going to ease off of the One Bills Drive Kool-aid until further notice.

How do you know who Dennison is? Have you worked with him? Spent time picking his brain determining his football IQ? Just what do you actually know?

You say not to pretend Dennison is Sam Wyche (not sure anyone was) but then you pretend he's Curtis Modkins with the same lack of evidence.

Dennison's resume only tells us so much because he's been under Kubiak's shadow, not running his own show. That doesn't mean he can't run a show. He's been around a long time and has had good mentors. And he's been on 6 Super Bowl teams and learned how SB teams prepare.

I won't pretend to know the guy or be in a position to evaluate him. He could be Sam Wyche or Curtis Modkins, I don't know. But McD - who's done far more due diligence on him than I ever could - thinks enough of him to hire him. For now, I have to content myself with that. I'll save my personal evaluations for the regular season when I actually have something substantial to go on.

Edited by hondo in seattle

I'm sure it's already been mentioned, but Anthony Lynn never called an NFL play in his life until Week 3 this past season, and that turned out ok.

Just because a guy hasn't called plays in his previous stops shouldn't necessarily mean he doesn't have the ability to do so.

One benefit of a new playcaller is that there is no "book" on his tendencies, either.

I'm sure it's already been mentioned, but Anthony Lynn never called an NFL play in his life until Week 3 this past season, and that turned out ok.

Just because a guy hasn't called plays in his previous stops shouldn't necessarily mean he doesn't have the ability to do so.

One benefit of a new playcaller is that there is no "book" on his tendencies, either.

That.

If the offense or defense struggles people usually point to "needing time" to get on the same page......but if it's done right you should have a significant advantage having new schemes/playcalling tendencies that aren't on tape with that specific team/personnel.

There isn't enough time in a week for NFL teams to break down what opposing players and coaches did while with OTHER teams and effectively assimilate it to project what they MIGHT then do as a current opponent with entirely different personnel...........that's also why figured-out QB's like Flutie and Fitz had upticks in performance when they've changed teams.

You think a running team is lining up in the shotgun (where it's more difficult to run from) because their QB likes lining up under center more?

Ok so you are assuming this is the reason based on that alone?

Save the snark 4 someone else. Im not the one breh.

How do you know who Dennison is? Have you worked with him? Spent time picking his brain determining his football IQ? Just what do you actually know?

You say not to pretend Dennison is Sam Wyche (not sure anyone was) but then you pretend he's Curtis Modkins with the same lack of evidence.

Dennison's resume only tells us so much because he's been under Kubiak's shadow, not running his own show. That doesn't mean he can't run a show. He's been around a long time and has had good mentors. And he's been on 6 Super Bowl teams and learned how SB teams prepare.

I won't pretend to know the guy or be in a position to evaluate him. He could be Sam Wyche or Curtis Modkins, I don't know. But McD - who's done far more due diligence on him than I ever could - thinks enough of him to hire him. For now, I have to content myself with that. I'll save my personal evaluations for the regular season when I actually have something substantial to go on.

This. We can only wait and see. Even if he was a "known commodity" with a "proven track record of success in calling plays," the approach would be the same - as he still would be someone who was fired from his previous job. There are a lot of variables that go into a successful product on the field...

I wouldn't say I pretend to know any more about Dennison than you. I looked him up on wikipedia, like you did. I am just choosing to see the hire as what it is… uninspiring (IMO). He's a guy whose mentor just retired, and who needs a new HC/offensive opportunity to latch onto.

Dennison might have taken few enough hits to the head as a Bronco LB that he can come in here and develop a scheme & call plays like a Sam Wyche (who had done that quite well before we got him). I think the Modkins analogy is perfect.

I am just not buying this company line that McDermott is so sound and calculating and thorough that he has already all but changed the culture at OBD because he knows what winning smells like and we gave him a nice warm welcome. There is nothing but heavy lifting ahead to get our pass offense up to modern times. And this is the key guy to do it? I hope so, but forgive my skepticism.

In terms of the passing game, we are miles and miles from the four teams that will play this weekend.

Edited by HankBulloughMellencamp

It will be interesting to see if he trusts TT with play action fakes. It was obvious Roman and Lynn didn't.

What? We ran play action with Hotrod frequently in games I was (all of them).

He wasn't the greatest at it because he would stop, make an exaggerated fake and then drop back further. Took way too long. But we did it.

What? We ran play action with Hotrod frequently in games I was (all of them).

He wasn't the greatest at it because he would stop, make an exaggerated fake and then drop back further. Took way too long. But we did it.

PA in shotgun never works as well - the running back is always eyes up on pass protection so the connection doesn't always happen.

I wouldn't say I pretend to know any more about Dennison than you. I looked him up on wikipedia, like you did. I am just choosing to see the hire as what it is… uninspiring (IMO). He's a guy whose mentor just retired, and who needs a new HC/offensive opportunity to latch onto.

Dennison might have taken few enough hits to the head as a Bronco LB that he can come in here and develop a scheme & call plays like a Sam Wyche (who had done that quite well before we got him). I think the Modkins analogy is perfect.

I am just not buying this company line that McDermott is so sound and calculating and thorough that he has already all but changed the culture at OBD because he knows what winning smells like and we gave him a nice warm welcome. There is nothing but heavy lifting ahead to get our pass offense up to modern times. And this is the key guy to do it? I hope so, but forgive my skepticism.

In terms of the passing game, we are miles and miles from the four teams that will play this weekend.

And again I'll ask: who would have been inspiring?

Pretty simple: winner from winning organizations THAT CAN HANDLE THE PATS (Baltimore and Denver) and with an MA in engineering bodes reasonably well -- and it's more encouraging than the prospect of a longtime failure like Greg Olsen. I'm totally fine with this hire. Good sign re: McDermott too.

And again I'll ask: who would have been inspiring?

Oh, I don't know... say... someone with maybe some demonstrated play-calling experience for our defensive coordinator-turned-HC?

This guy may really turn out to be awesome. I am just not treating this hire like some sort of coup. Nor am I super excited about the "he knows/likes/has worked with Tyrod" angle.

The goal should really be to win an NFL championship, not to just squeak into the playoffs.

Pretty simple: winner from winning organizations THAT CAN HANDLE THE PATS (Baltimore and Denver) and with an MA in engineering bodes reasonably well -- and it's more encouraging than the prospect of a longtime failure like Greg Olsen. I'm totally fine with this hire. Good sign re: McDermott too.

The engineering point is awesome - thanks for pointing that out.

Although, as a lawyer who has had to manage engineers as witnesses - they are the absolute worst (second worst actually - lawyers themselves are the worst witnesses).