Rick Dennison new O Coord

Heitz

• Replies 564
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Perhaps the best example. He went from never calling an offensive play to being named a head coach in the NFL within five months.

Do you have any insights into what happened between Roman and Rex? Were they in conflict? Was GR ignoring the instructions of the HC? Did Rex feel that Roman was being too conservative with TT and that Rex wanted to open it up a little more? It's also a unique situation that such a quick and surprising departure so early in the season didn't come with much explanation.

http://www.milehighreport.com/2008/9/22/619243/the-broncos-playcalling-ex

Pretty interesting article mentioning Dennison.

Basically reaffirms my concern that they'll need a passing game coordinator and someone to help with playcalling.

An article about the play-calling structure in Denver from eight and a half years ago?

I suppose it's possible to think that Dennison hasn't learned anything in that time span, but it strains credibility.

Edited by K-9

I think it is well believed that the Denver defense won the Super Bowl. Here is what ESPN said about Dennison "Dennison, 58, served as the Denver Broncos' offensive coordinator the past two seasons under former coach Gary Kubiak, who called offensive plays. The Broncos' offense finished 27th in yards per game this season after a 16th-ranked performance in 2015, when Denver won the Super Bowl in Peyton Manning's final season." Do we really want an offensive coordinator who doesn't call the plays?

Anthony Lynn never called plays but then took the reigns and scored a lot of points with a very flawed offensive roster.

Every OC has to make that transition: from a coach who doesn't call plays to one who does. Some make it successfully. Some don't.

Most of the guys with real OC experience (designed the scheme and called the plays) had flawed resumes with years of poor results.

You realize that article is from 9 years ago, right?

I know it is old but it breaks down his duties as OC with the Broncos and his likely duties as OC with the Texans as Kubiak has always been the main playcaller wherever he has been HC/OC. It also reaffirms the idea that he is mostly involved in the run game in his career.

Installing game plans and strategy is important and in that respect, I like the choice. I just want to know who is going to be coaching QBs here and developing them and who is going to spearhead the passing game strategy because his 1 year as QB coach with the Ravens under Kubiak(a QB coach himself) is not exactly inspiring to me.

Do you have any insights into what happened between Roman and Rex? Were they in conflict? Was GR ignoring the instructions of the HC? Did Rex feel that Roman was being too conservative with TT and that Rex wanted to open it up a little more? It's also a unique situation that such a quick and surprising departure so early in the season didn't come with much explanation.

I can only guess. There is conflict at times in any relationship, healthy or not, so I'm sure that occurred with Rex and Roman. I also think that Whaley and the Pegulas weren't totally pleased with Roman's style as well. And Rex was so hands off with the offense, I doubt there were any instructions from him to ignore. I may be in the minority as a fan, but I don't look for much in the way of explanations from teams regarding moves of this sort; it really doesn't matter in the final analysis.

I know it is old but it breaks down his duties as OC with the Broncos and his likely duties as OC with the Texans as Kubiak has always been the main playcaller wherever he has been HC/OC. It also reaffirms the idea that he is mostly involved in the run game in his career.

Installing game plans and strategy is important and in that respect, I like the choice. I just want to know who is going to be coaching QBs here and developing them and who is going to spearhead the passing game strategy because his 1 year as QB coach with the Ravens under Kubiak(a QB coach himself) is not exactly inspiring to me.

My guess would be Dorsey.

This shows Bills ARE relevant. This guy is a top OC. We have a good coaching staff, Whaley and players have no excuses now.

Imagine if we had hired McD and Dennison a year ago, when both were fresh off Super Bowl appearances. The fan reaction would probably be much more positive.

As the past year has shown in both cases, coaches, to a large extent, are only as good as their players. Both of these guys seem to be widely respected, well-mentored, and have shown an ability to win when they have the right players. Both are credible hires.

Whether or not they'll succeed is another story. They've mostly run other coaches' schemes, executed other coaches' ideas. As a fan without inside info, I have no way of intelligently guessing the outcome.

I can only guess. There is conflict at times in any relationship, healthy or not, so I'm sure that occurred with Rex and Roman. I also think that Whaley and the Pegulas weren't totally pleased with Roman's style as well. And Rex was so hands off with the offense, I doubt there were any instructions from him to ignore. I may be in the minority as a fan, but I don't look for much in the way of explanations from teams regarding moves of this sort; it really doesn't matter in the final analysis.

Thanks for the input. Still surprising that more information didn't leak out as to why? If Rex was so hands off with the offense then there had to be some other pressure points such as Whaley and maybe the owner.

I'm not blaming Rex or anyone in particular with the firing of a coordinator so early in the season. However, it was unusual. With a Rex coached team there is always a commotion. Some people run a tight ship and others are a lot looser. His style is looser than most. Not a criticism so much as an observation.

1 whole year you're judging him on.....

Imagine if we had hired McD and Dennison a year ago, when both were fresh off Super Bowl appearances. The fan reaction would probably be much more positive.

As the past year has shown in both cases, coaches, to a large extent, are only as good as their players. Both of these guys seem to be widely respected, well-mentored, and have shown an ability to win when they have the right players. Both are credible hires.

Whether or not they'll succeed is another story. They've mostly run other coaches' schemes, executed other coaches' ideas. As a fan without inside info, I have no way of intelligently guessing the outcome.

Even if both coaches WON the Super Bowl, got in a car and drove straight to Buffalo to start their new jobs, someone on TBD would find a reason to B word! :D

Regarding the bold, all very true, I've also read in various articles that the guys were hiring are all teachers (and to your point, they're teaching systems they learned from solid, respected mentors). This team definitely needs some teaching of fundamentals - like wrapping up and tackling - so definitely good to hear!

1 whole year you're judging him on.....

Yes. His one year coaching an established QB with an OC who was a pretty prolific QB coach himself does not make me go "Ok, we are set with QB development and in the passing game."

I'm not even saying that I don't like this hire. I'm just reserving praise until I see something that gives me confidence in the passing game.

Sorry that I'm not fawning over this move and hailing Dennison as some offensive guru.

It stands to reason that he will need someone helping coordinating the passing game based on

a). his history with Denver as OC not calling plays or designing passing game strategy or route combos

b). his background in the NFL as an OL coach

c). his history with the Texans not being the main playcaller or offensive strategist

He has basically never been in a position without Kubiak there with him. In his only time without Kubiak supervising him, the Broncos thought it necessary to give the playcalling duties and passing game strategy to the QB coach.

He is a veteran, experienced coach but he is not a proven commodity.

Yes. His one year coaching an established QB with an OC who was a pretty prolific QB coach himself does not make me go "Ok, we are set with QB development and in the passing game."

I'm not even saying that I don't like this hire. I'm just reserving praise until I see something that gives me confidence in the passing game.

Sorry that I'm not fawning over this move and hailing Dennison as some offensive guru.

It stands to reason that he will need someone helping coordinating the passing game based on

a). his history with Denver as OC not calling plays or designing passing game strategy or route combos

b). his background in the NFL as an OL coach

c). his history with the Texans not being the main playcaller or offensive strategist

He has basically never been in a position without Kubiak there with him. In his only time without Kubiak supervising him, the Broncos thought it necessary to give the playcalling duties and passing game strategy to the QB coach.

He is a veteran, experienced coach but he is not a proven commodity.

Food for thought: proven commodities are usually only available because they've been fired.

Poking around in Dennison's background, I wonder if they will try to bring in Jeremy Bates as QB or WR coach. The guy has been out of the NFL since 2012 but was seen as a coaching prodigy back then. He was Pete Carroll's original choice as OC in SEA but fired for "philosophical coaching differences." He's been tutoring QBs since 2012.

But the guy was basically seen as the Adam Gase or Sean McVay of 2008-2012.