Rick Dennison new O Coord

Heitz

• Replies 564
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The old by-the-book-of-Lavel Edwards WCO is dead......gradually altered by tactics designed to stop it.....like zone blitz concepts........and later by much smaller, quicker defenses.

Dennison had Flacco and Tyrod with him in Baltimore under Kubiak.....neither is a WCO fit and yet they had a very effective offense that could easily have won a SB that year.

They ran a hybrid of Peyton's offense and WCO concepts in Denver in 2015 and coaxed enough production out of Brock Osweiler to win some tough games and earn homefield so I'm not looking for Dennison to come in and run it like Bill Walsh drew it up.

Yep. What will be interesting is if Dennison is a system guy, or a more system/play to your player strengths guy. If Tyrod is the guy, and I'm thinking more and more he will be, we will know within about 3-4 games.

Tyrod could easily be a Jake Plummer 2005 QB. Ton of effective rollouts. 18 TD 7 Int. 90 rating. Pro Bowl. 13-3.

Not at all saying we are going 13-3. Far from it. But that kind of season from a limited quarterback was very effective.

just curious as to why.

yes he has been a part of Super-bowls. But he has also been with some terrible offensive teams.

Bill Belichick has been part of some terrible teams too. Should we just ignore the Superbowls in that case?

The old by-the-book-of-Lavel Edwards WCO is dead......gradually altered by tactics designed to stop it.....like zone blitz concepts........and later by much smaller, quicker defenses.

Dennison had Flacco and Tyrod with him in Baltimore under Kubiak.....neither is a WCO fit and yet they had a very effective offense that could easily have won a SB that year.

They ran a hybrid of Peyton's offense and WCO concepts in Denver in 2015 and coaxed enough production out of Brock Osweiler to win some tough games and earn homefield so I'm not looking for Dennison to come in and run it like Bill Walsh drew it up.

Still required same. On time throws. Accurate ball placement allowing YAC

I just want to know who is going to be coaching QBs here and developing them and who is going to spearhead the passing game strategy because his 1 year as QB coach with the Ravens under Kubiak(a QB coach himself) is not exactly inspiring to me.

My guess would be Dorsey.

And I would be happy with that combination.

Dorsey is already QB's coach for the Panthers. He's not going to leave for a lateral position.

Nine months until we play a real game and you want them to tank? People that talk that way make me go nuts. How about I hope we go 19-0? Unbelievable!

YES! What's the most glaring need for the Bills? That unicorn called a Franchise QB. 2018 QB class is supposedly awesome. All the messaging from the new HC and GM says we want to be "competitive". That means they expect a 500 season at best. Why waste money on middling FAs to be competitive? If that's all you can get to, use your development players instead of expensive FAs, just tank and get the best picks of the 2018 class.

well, take a look:

2017 Buffalo Bills Opponents HOME: Miami, New England, NY Jets, Denver, Oakland, New Orleans, Tampa Bay, Indianapolis AWAY: Miami, New England, NY Jets, Kansas City, LA Chargers, Atlanta, Carolina, Cincinnati

That's no cake walk there.

Sounds tough, but then again you just don't know.

In 2008 or so we opened up against Hawks fresh off an NFC Championship game and we trounced 'em with Trent at QB.

4 years ago we played Baltimore fresh off a SB victory and beat them with rookie QB EJ under center.

2 years ago we opened against Indy fresh off the AFC Championship deflate gate game and steam rolled over them.

Good recall. You're talking about upsets. Those don't go consistently your way - thus "upset". Odds are not good for 2017. The D will need to return to the form of Schwartz year, and then we can talk realistically about making more of those upsets. If this coaching staff gets them to 500 in 2017, that would be amazing. But doubt it.

lol Kyle Shanahan is a "genius" because he gets to work with Matt Ryan but Kubiak/Dennison are not because they had a half-armed Peyton, Brock Osweiler and someone named Trevor Siemian as their QB's for 2015 and 2016.

This.

One thing about a QB in West Coast offense

Quarterback - More of a focus is placed on decision-making and accuracy over arm strength in a West Coast system. A quarterback must be able to choose from multiple options and deliver the ball quickly. Mobility is also a big plus.

I remember Bill yelling at me, "Steve, no one knows where you are going to be. You've got to lock this stuff in so you can make reads, give the ball to people on time and make decisions about where to throw the football based on your feet."

http://static.espn.go.com/nfl/s/westcoast/popularity.html

Just would like to point out that there are many philosophical variants that get called WCO these days.

Example:

2009 Texans under Kubiak/Shanahan. WCO, #4 in the league for passing attempts (10th in yards), #20 for rushing attempts (30th in yards). This is with Matt Schaub at QB and Arian Foster on the roster.

2010 Texans under Kubiak/Dennison. WCO. #10 in the league for passing attempts (7th in yards), #19 for rushing attempts (7th in yards). Arian Foster gains >1600 yds. Increased prominence and effectiveness of the run game. (run/pass ratio shifts)

2011 Texans still under Kub/Dennison. Still WCO. #30th in the league for passing attempts (18th in yards), #1 for rushing attempts (2nd in yards). Arian Foster gains 1224 yds and #2 back comes close to 1000. Schaub was injured and TJ Yates played 6 games.

Point being, while it's all called WCO, and it's all Kubiak as HC, when Dennison arrived the character of the Texans offense changed to feature the run and Foster much more, and more effectively. Then when Schaub got hurt, the offense adapted to make effective use of a sub-optimal QB situation.

This is why I'm cautiously optimistic about Dennison as an OC. Unlike Shanahan, who has never seen a pass-heavy offense he didn't like, Dennison seems more adaptable to utilize the players he has.

What makes a WCO a WCO these days is really more the route trees and play terminology used vs. emphasis on a particular type of passing game or on short timed passes vs run game.

In terminology, Roman with the 49ers and here ran a WCO.

Just would like to point out that there are many philosophical variants that get called WCO these days.

Example:

2009 Texans under Kubiak/Shanahan. WCO, #4 in the league for passing attempts (10th in yards), #20 for rushing attempts (30th in yards). This is with Matt Schaub at QB and Arian Foster on the roster.

2010 Texans under Kubiak/Dennison. WCO. #10 in the league for passing attempts (7th in yards), #19 for rushing attempts (7th in yards). Arian Foster gains >1600 yds. Increased prominence and effectiveness of the run game. (run/pass ratio shifts)

2011 Texans still under Kub/Dennison. Still WCO. #30th in the league for passing attempts (18th in yards), #1 for rushing attempts (2nd in yards). Arian Foster gains 1224 yds and #2 back comes close to 1000. Schaub was injured and TJ Yates played 6 games.

Point being, while it's all called WCO, and it's all Kubiak as HC, when Dennison arrived the character of the Texans offense changed to feature the run and Foster much more, and more effectively. Then when Schaub got hurt, the offense adapted to make effective use of a sub-optimal QB situation.

This is why I'm cautiously optimistic about Dennison as an OC. Unlike Shanahan, who has never seen a pass-heavy offense he didn't like, Dennison seems more adaptable to utilize the players he has.

What makes a WCO a WCO these days is really more the route trees and play terminology used vs. emphasis on a particular type of passing game or on short timed passes vs run game.

In terminology, Roman with the 49ers and here ran a WCO.

I understand that, however just saying to those that think this automatically means TT stays may need to see no matter how the stats and ratio works out the KEY to a successful WCO is getting the ball out on TIME and YAC, things that are NOT something TT does