Tim Graham article -T Pegs considers dysfunction an insult

Reed83HOF

They said exactly what they have said since they hired Rex Ryan. Both he and the GM report directly to the owner. Whaley said it, the Pegulas have always said it. All of this BS about the organization being dysfunctional was born of scuttlebut and rumors. They have been consistent since day one. When will America tire of the news media just making stuff up and running with it in order to fit their own agenda? Lately if I read something in any newspaper I kind of automatically am suspicious that it's just made up BS.

Did the media make up the part where the GM told a press conference that, not only did he not know his owner was minutes away from firing his HC, he didn't (he says) even have a clue that his HC was in any trouble?

I think you missed that part as one reason many in "America" think that there is dysfunction at OBD.

• Replies 323
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Did the media make up the part where the GM told a press conference that, not only did he not know his owner was minutes away from firing his HC, he didn't (he says) even have a clue that his HC was in any trouble?

I think you missed that part as one reason many in "America" think that there is dysfunction at OBD.

Similar to how we all know you're an argumentative idiot, but since you don't actually discuss your future posts with us, we can claim that we didn't actually know how you would respond to something.

If you want to be argumentative and think that Whaley was totally in the dark based on his answers, go ahead.

The more plausible answer is that Whaley didn't want to deal with the questions, but is clearly not savvy enough to deflect them.

Maybe he should adopt a page out of Belichick's or Trump's book in how to deal with reporters he doesn't like?

If you want to be argumentative and think that Whaley was totally in the dark based on his answers, go ahead.

The more plausible answer is that Whaley didn't want to deal with the questions, but is clearly not savvy enough to deflect them.

Maybe he should adopt a page out of Belichick's or Trump's book in how to deal with reporters he doesn't like?

Or they could find a smarter GM.

But anyway, I'll not be "argumentative"------If you prefer to say he was instead blatantly lying (because he "didn't want to deal with the press") with his answers, that's not dysfunctional??--when he just announced to the assembled press that he was there to speak as one on behalf of ownership? He would lie about what he knew and embarrass his owner, just because he doesn't like public speaking?

Yeah, that makes sense.

They said exactly what they have said since they hired Rex Ryan. Both he and the GM report directly to the owner. Whaley said it, the Pegulas have always said it. All of this BS about the organization being dysfunctional was born of scuttlebut and rumors. They have been consistent since day one. When will America tire of the news media just making stuff up and running with it in order to fit their own agenda? Lately if I read something in any newspaper I kind of automatically am suspicious that it's just made up BS.

Yeah. That's a bad spot to be in, frankly. Not being able to trust any information could mean one can't trust any new information that changes one's initial reaction to anything. In the extreme, it puts the entire process of learning in a deep freeze letting us rely on "gut reactions", which can be totally wrong because there is no basis of truth.

Or they could find a smarter GM.

But anyway, I'll not be "argumentative"------If you prefer to say he was instead blatantly lying (because he "didn't want to deal with the press") with his answers, that's not dysfunctional??--when he just announced to the assembled press that he was there to speak as one on behalf of ownership? He would lie about what he knew and embarrass his owner, just because he doesn't like public speaking?

Yeah, that makes sense.

Because the definition of "smart" is stisfying a Patriots fan on a Bills board. mmmmmkkkkkkk

While I agree that Berchtold and the rest of the PR department could be a little more anticipatory in certain matters, I don't hold them entirely to blame for the "dysfunctional" perceptions. I think Whaley tries to be too nice because he has total disdain for a few members of the media and for good reason. I think he'd rather tell them to phuck off vs. couching his answers. Instead, he should just do a Belichick and let one or two word answers or NO answers suffice.

Media is not "owed" explanations.

Fans are not "owed" explanations.

Belichick and some other GMs understand that. Whaley, in trying too hard not to be offensive (because he IS pissed off) opens things up for far too much speculation and lets the media control the narrative. A narrative they have little understanding of to begin with. That lack of insight and understanding was prevalent in Tim Graham's interview with the Pegulas who did a great job in politely telling him to go pound sand.

Maybe he should adopt a page out of Belichick's book in how to deal with reporters he doesn't like?

He needs to learn the following phrase: "We're on to Cincinnati"

I'm dead serious. BB took some flack in the press for that, but I'm sure he doesnt care how people took his repetitive answer at all. All he cares about is that he pushed through the PC without giving the media any REAL pieces to get riled about. Let them chide you for repeating the same answer, make the story about that instead of any other narrative they want to push. Stonewalling is a great tactic and makes the press look like the buffoons they mostly* are.

(*except for the pros like jw, td, etc)

Edited by DrDareustein

If the GM and HC report to the owner directly why is it necessary for the GM to be the one to fire the HC?

I might be offended too if uninformed people criticized my work and, more importantly, the work of my people.

Then again, this happens all the time when you work in the public eye. Monday Morning Quarterbacks always have their opinions even when they don't have any credible facts.

I think Terry, Kim, Russ, Doug, et al just need to ignore the media and, frankly, ignore us fans too. The only that matters is winning on the field, not in the court of public opinion.

I'm dead serious. BB took some flack in the press for that, but I'm sure he doesnt care how people took his repetitive answer at all. All he cares about is that he pushed through the PC without giving the media any REAL pieces to get riled about. Let them chide you for repeating the same answer, more the story about that instead of any other narrative they want to push. Stonewalling is a great tactic and makes the press look like the buffoons they mostly* are.

BB can do that and get away with it because he has won a lot. The Bills haven't won so certain members of the press are just going to find fault in everything they do until they win. Then it all goes away. If somehow there was a connection to the fact the team did not win because of the chain of command, that would be a story. But every indication is that Whaley and Rex worked great together and Whaley got a lot of the players Rex wanted.

Whaley may have made some personnel decisions that did not work out. He gets some deserved criticism for that. Rex made a boatload of mistakes and paid the price of being fired for it. But NONE of that had anything to do with dysfunction or chain of command or who was in a phone call asked for by Rex that didn't include Whaley. None of it.

and you didn't read the part where rex approach Pegula asked about his status then asked to let go before the final game...

The only eyes that view us as dysfunctional.. Are the national and local media who have to create stories and get the hits and the chronic negative nancies who's lives are so miserable they tie there entire mental well being to a sports franchise and have to pile on the blame game to satisfy their shattered self worth

Unlucky yes.. but its pretty obvious that some fans perception of the front office is compleltey whack-a-doodle

new season hit reset and hope for the best... I can do this for the rest of my days if necessary.. its only a sports franchise and its only a single form of entertainment... Sure don't need to hear the non sense coming from the minority that seems to need a big stage to just whine whine whine

Edited by ddaryl

I think Terry, Kim, Russ, Doug, et al just need to ignore the media and, frankly, ignore us fans too. The only that matters is winning on the field, not in the court of public opinion.

I do believe that they can go a long way with 'using' the media more to their advantage.

Pegula has had a petty squabble with TBN since the day he arrived and was naive enough to think that TBN would agree to only print 'nice' stories... and their columns were preventing Tim Connolly from breaking out.

Everyone agreed Rex needed to go... but they did it with such a lack of grace and direction in the public eye, it turned everyone back on the franchise and also made their GM look like a bumbling fool. It should be easy for a billion dollar organization to mitigate these disasters... and they predate Pegula as well

Terry Pegula, you are hardly a man and disgust me. You own 2 major pro sports teams and have the final say in all major decisions. You seem to be highly involved, hands on owners. At least be man enough to step up to the plate and give the fans who pay you and you're ****ty teams some insight/answers into what the hell is going on and why decisions have been made the way they have. Be accountable. Are you that senile into how you are being perceived in the media or just a entitled dick bag who can't take being criticized? Continue to hide in Florida while pulling the strings from a far and making yourself available for one handpicked interview per year where you do not discuss or answer anything when you're the one making final decisions. You cannot have it both ways Pegs.

We are in great hands folks. We have Terry "I will not discuss that" and Doug "I wasn't privy"

I will not be renewing my season tickets if this is how the owner carries himself. 20+ year holder

We deserve better as fans

I'm dead serious. BB took some flack in the press for that, but I'm sure he doesnt care how people took his repetitive answer at all. All he cares about is that he pushed through the PC without giving the media any REAL pieces to get riled about. Let them chide you for repeating the same answer, more the story about that instead of any other narrative they want to push. Stonewalling is a great tactic and makes the press look like the buffoons they mostly* are.

:lol::lol:

Be aware, though, that while BB does this sort of stuff, he also provides these sorts of answers at press conferences if reporters ask him interesting, geeky football questions: http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2016/12/29/belichick-tells-defensive-players-theyre-not-good-enough-for-offense/

Edited by dave mcbride

If the GM and HC report to the owner directly why is it necessary for the GM to be the one to fire the HC?

Wrong question (which I wasn't answering anyway). The GM should be aware that his HC is about to be canned in 5 minutes. If he did he should say so. If he didn't, he's clueless.

and you didn't read the part where rex approach Pegula asked about his status then asked to let go before the final game...

The only eyes that view us as dysfunctional.. Are the national and local media who have to create stories and get the hits and the chronic negative nancies who's lives are so miserable they tie there entire mental well being to a sports franchise and have to pile on the blame game to satisfy their shattered self worth

Unlucky yes.. but its pretty obvious that some fans perception of the front office is compleltey whack-a-doodle

new season hit reset and hope for the best... I can do this for the rest of my days if necessary.. its only a sports franchise and its only a single form of entertainment... Sure don't need to hear the non sense coming from the minority that seems to need a big stage to just whine whine whine

I couldn't have said it better myself.

The rest of that post is mangled thought, though.

T Pegs talks about what's in the past is in the past. And yet, during their brief ownership they've retained the same individuals in the front office responsible for that past, the team keeps losing and no one's supposed to question the franchise's direction.

I do believe that they can go a long way with 'using' the media more to their advantage.

Pegula has had a petty squabble with TBN since the day he arrived and was naive enough to think that TBN would agree to only print 'nice' stories... and their columns were preventing Tim Connolly from breaking out.

Everyone agreed Rex needed to go... but they did it with such a lack of grace and direction in the public eye, it turned everyone back on the franchise and also made their GM look like a bumbling fool. It should be easy for a billion dollar organization to mitigate these disasters... and they predate Pegula as well

This is what some of us are trying to say, yet too many here cannot even consider this possible.

Spectacular? The few of you on here who hate everything are kinda funny

I don't really laugh at people who maintain low standards, they are just meh.

TG established with Pegs that Brandon and Lil Doug are the main reasons for dysfunction, actual or perceived, and if nothing changes, that talk is not going to go away. Job well done.

Edited by Rico