Tim Graham article -T Pegs considers dysfunction an insult

Reed83HOF

http://buffalonews.com/2017/01/12/terry-pegula-accusations-bills-dysfunctional-consider-insult/

Buffalo Bills co-owner Terry Pegula will introduce new coach Sean McDermott on Friday afternoon and then step aside.

Pegula will take no questions. Neither will his wife, Bills co-owner Kim Pegula. That's how they prefer it.

Edited by Reed83HOF

• Replies 323
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

http://buffalonews.com/2017/01/12/terry-pegula-accusations-bills-dysfunctional-consider-insult/

Buffalo Bills co-owner Terry Pegula will introduce new coach Sean McDermott on Friday afternoon and then step aside.

Pegula will take no questions. Neither will his wife, Bills co-owner Kim Pegula. That's how they prefer it.

Pegula: "The GM, whether it be hockey, football, baseball, whatever, their job is not to win a press conference. It's to build a team and win championships. If I have a GM and people think his press conferences are a disaster every year, but we start winning, who cares? Let the media say what they want to say. I know there's a guy in New England who gets criticized a lot, but he wins. It's not all about winning the news conference."

Sounded like Kim was the one most PO'd about Whaley's press conference:

How do you think Doug Whaley represented the Bills at his news conference last week?

TP: He did the best he could under some very trying circumstances. That's my answer.

How much does it hurt a business' credibility when one of its leaders stops being believable?

TP: It depends on who stops believing him, I guess.

KP: It does hurt, but it's our job as owners to make sure that decisions are not made on knee-jerk opinions or partial information or one instance. You need to look at the person's body of work, and while sometimes one instance is all it takes to hurt your credibility within the organization, we're not going to jump to any decisions.

Kinda thinking from the sound of that, that if Terry were out of the picture, Kim's knee jerk would have changed Whaley's employment state. Also kinda thinking they learned something from hiring Rex: "it's not about winning the news conference".

Edited by Hapless Bills Fan

Read the whole piece. TP is giving Whaley a run for his money on who sounds more buffoonish to the media. Luckily his wife isn't as tone deaf as he is.

I hate to say it, but it's hard to see this guy building a winning team with how involved he wants to be.

Pegula: "The GM, whether it be hockey, football, baseball, whatever, their job is not to win a press conference. It's to build a team and win championships. If I have a GM and people think his press conferences are a disaster every year, but we start winning, who cares? Let the media say what they want to say. I know there's a guy in New England who gets criticized a lot, but he wins. It's not all about winning the news conference."

How do you think Doug Whaley represented the Bills at his news conference last week?

TP: He did the best he could under some very trying circumstances. That's my answer.

How much does it hurt a business' credibility when one of its leaders stops being believable?

KP: It does hurt, but it's our job as owners to make sure that decisions are not made on knee-jerk opinions or partial information or one instance. You need to look at the person's body of work, and while sometimes one instance is all it takes to hurt your credibility within the organization, we're not going to jump to any decisions.

Kinda thinking from the sound of that, that if Terry were out of the picture, Kim's knee jerk would have changed Whaley's employment state. Also kinda thinking they learned something from hiring Rex: "it's not about winning the news conference".

I don't think that's true. I believe she is directly referring to the decision to fire Rex at that point, and that it wasn't a knee jerk reaction, that Terry Pegula looked at his whole body of work throughout the year and past conversations.

Sounds like Scotty B is overdue a trip to the principal's office.

Read the whole piece. TP is giving Whaley a run for his money on who sounds more buffoonish to the media. Luckily his wife isn't as tone deaf as he is.

I hate to say it, but it's hard to see this guy building a winning team with how involved he wants to be.

What are you talking about?

I don't think that's true. I believe she is directly referring to the decision to fire Rex at that point, and that it wasn't a knee jerk reaction, that Terry Pegula looked at his whole body of work throughout the year and past conversations.

They were talking about Whaley.

Personally I'm glad he doesn't give a crap what Tim Graham thinks.

If you bought the Bills...think you would sit back and not do anything?

They were talking about Whaley.

It does hurt, but it's our job as owners to make sure that decisions are not made on knee-jerk opinions or partial information or one instance

You think this was talking about Whaley? The consideration of firing him? You really think she was saying that? Come on.

It does hurt, but it's our job as owners to make sure that decisions are not made on knee-jerk opinions or partial information or one instance

You think this was talking about Whaley? The consideration of firing him? You really think she was saying that? Come on.

That one instance, was Whaley's presser. That's exactly what they were talking about because that's what they were asked about.

Maybe, but even then, she is saying the opposite of what the person I quoted said.

Yeah I agree. She's unequivocally saying he bombed the presser but he ain't getting fired over it.

It's a stretch to say if it was her call, he'd be gone. IMO.

The one comment I find very odd is their answer as to why the structures with the Sabres and Bills are different. I imagine it's because they are more involved with the Bills at a ground level than the Sabs, but they can't come out and say that.

Edited by FireChan

the cia ain't got nothing on pegs. can wikileaks get on this:

What traits were most important?

TP: We are not going to disclose any of the things we used to pick our coach because, again, this business is so competitive, I'm not going to tell the world, the rest of the league what we look for in a coach. That's our business.

Why was the search so narrow this time in terms of the four candidates you interviewed and that they all were coordinators who'd never been head coaches?

TP: The search may appear to be narrow to you. Again, in our own private business, there was a lot more work done ... I assume what you're referring to is that we interviewed four candidates.

Yes.

TP: It was broader than you think. But I'm not going to get into that.

Edited by Dirtbag

Yeah I agree. She's unequivocally saying he bombed the presser but he ain't getting fired over it.

It's a stretch to say if it was her call, he'd be gone. IMO.

The one comment I find very odd is their answer as to why the structures with the Sabres and Bills are different. I imagine it's because they are more involved with the Bills at a ground level than the Sabs, but they can't come out and say that.

+1

the cia ain't got nothing on pegs. can wikileaks get on this:

What traits were most important?

TP: We are not going to disclose any of the things we used to pick our coach because, again, this business is so competitive, I'm not going to tell the world, the rest of the league what we look for in a coach. That's our business.

Why was the search so narrow this time in terms of the four candidates you interviewed and that they all were coordinators who'd never been head coaches?

TP: The search may appear to be narrow to you. Again, in our own private business, there was a lot more work done ... I assume what you're referring to is that we interviewed four candidates.

Yes.

TP: It was broader than you think. But I'm not going to get into that.

To be perfectly honest, Terry comes across like a prick throughout the entire interview.

His wife comes across as much more likable, connected to the fan base, and she's a lot more diplomatic for sure.

Terry needs to realize that as long as he plays this game, the media is going to give him ****.