Tim Graham article -T Pegs considers dysfunction an insult

Reed83HOF

Horse crap.

Sullivan is already out with an article claiming McDermott is an idiot if he keeps Taylor.

Let's say McDermott ditches Taylor. Let's say Taylor ends up QBing another team to an 8-8 record and the Bills go 4-12. Do you think Jerry will write an article saying it was the right decision or one pointing out how wrong it was?

All these guys are doing is setting up narratives and when those narratives fail or expire, they set up another one.

"Prove you're not dysfunctional" is not a realistic thing to ask anyone.

^This.

The columns are already in the can waiting to be edited and published. Just waiting to determine which way the wind is blowing.

And people wonder why some in the Buffalo media are considered hacks. When I call them hacks, I don't mean to insult hacks but it's the only term I can think of for "journalists" who suck at their jobs. Dishonest is another word that comes to mind.

• Replies 323
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

"We bought teams to keep them in the area and to flourish with them. I let the coaches and the players be out front and be the story."

I'm ok with all of that. He owns the business. However, the dysfunctional comments he finds insulting comes from their poor job at communication with the press and fan base. They are getting ripped off by the people in the public relations department. You have owners shooting out press releases, the owners aren't even on the same page with each other, GMs and interim head coaches stumbling, no press secretary, - it has the appearance of chaos.

If you want to stop being called a bunch of dysfunctional amateurs, stop selling the perception you are. It's simple.

100% agree with this. I honestly have no clue how competent the football operations side of this team is, but I can say from the last two weeks that the communications and media relations side is a hot mess.

The word choice is just terrible and yes, it comes off as amateurish and gives the impression that they're annoyed with having to do the interview. "That's our business" type responses instead of, "We handle personnel issues internally, by policy" make me wonder who exactly is prepping him for these things. They are exactly the same response, but the former comes off as defensive while the later comes off as professional and polished.

If Berchtold is the one who is inadequately prepping him like this... then yeah, he should be held to account.

Horse crap.

Sullivan is already out with an article claiming McDermott is an idiot if he keeps Taylor.

Let's say McDermott ditches Taylor. Let's say Taylor ends up QBing another team to an 8-8 record and the Bills go 4-12. Do you think Jerry will write an article saying it was the right decision or one pointing out how wrong it was?

All these guys are doing is setting up narratives and when those narratives fail or expire, they set up another one.

"Prove you're not dysfunctional" is not a realistic thing to ask anyone.

Oh Sully has proven he can pivot like a weather vane in a hurricane. He decries the deals the Bills gave Fitz and SJ13, but he was the one shaming the Bills for underpaying both players.

A bit further back, in the Donahoe era, he lauded the pick of OT Mike Williams in 2002. Two years later he raked Donahoe for not seeing the red flags.

When I wrote him pointing out his current opinion contradicted his original one, he said he reserves the right to change his position as situations dictate. In other words, his opinions change with his underwear.

100% agree with this. I honestly have no clue how competent the football operations side of this team is, but I can say from the last two weeks that the communications and media relations side is a hot mess.

The word choice is just terrible and yes, it comes off as amateurish and gives the impression that they're annoyed with having to do the interview. "That's our business" type responses instead of, "We handle personnel issues internally, by policy" make me wonder who exactly is prepping him for these things. They are exactly the same response, but the former comes off as defensive while the later comes off as professional and polished.

If Berchtold is the one who is inadequately prepping him like this... then yeah, he should be held to account.

100% agree with these sentiments. It comes off and always has come off as an amateur outfit. It desperately needs coats of paint from professionals. Again, people dont want to hear it, but ultimately, team President should be accountable for this too. He does such an amazing job... why does the organization always suffer was bad PR 'incidents'. It isnt the media's fault either. It is 100x worse other places.

Oh....dear....God. I'm not saying I agree or disagree, but bringing such a loaded social / economic / political point to this board, seems like adding gasoline to a dynamite depot while smoking a cigarette. Really unnecessary and pointless.

He fricken owns the team! You know, the one that essentially supports the very forum you feign your condescending and pedantic opinion from? Here is not the place - now is not the time - and the subject is not the focus.

Sorry. But it comes with the territory.

Of course it is an insult - is there any other way to take it?

On a side note, I met a lady with a tattoo on the back of her neck that said:

"I put the FUN in Dysfunctional!"

Who is she, Jabba the Hutt?

A good PR man takes care of these things so the owners don't have to.

Maybe today they can get the A/V equipment working so that you can actually hear the questions being asked instead of 30 seconds of silence with a little mumbling followed by the answer you can only assume addresses the question.

This is basic stuff that is easily addressed in the year 2017, especially with the money the Pegulas are paying people.

Get your story straight, get some working A/V equipment and working mics, and look like a professional organization. That's on the PR and A/V people. It's not rocket surgery!

LOL

Smart move by the Pegulas in advance of todays PC. Now the media is on full advance notice the Pegulas won't be answering questions, and they have a variety of answers to the questions they were whining about since Whaley's dubious PC.

Now, hopefully, the focus can be on McDermott and what he plans to bring to the table -- not "can you work with Doug Whaley?" or any of that nonsense.

yup, lets hope the BN et al can control themselves. Florio is sittin at a keyboard in NY somewhere preparing hus next snarky commentary already probably.

I do think the Pegulas learn. It would have been a lot better for the Bills image, Lynn and Whaley if the Pegulas had given an interview prior to their press conferences (esp. Whaleys).

So this time they did.

There will still be a bunch of "what makes you think you can work with Doug Whaley when we all think he undermined the last 2 coaches and ran them out of town, never mind what Whaley and Pegula say"

shouldn't be , but you are probably right. Great opportunity here to start off the McD era on the right foot, on both sides. Edited by BaaadThingsMan

... and lets the media control the narrative. A narrative they have little understanding of to begin with. That lack of insight and understanding was prevalent in Tim Graham's interview with the Pegulas who did a great job in politely telling him to go pound sand.

That is blatantly clear by the types of questions that were asked.

Sorry. But it comes with the territory.

No, it doesn't. Someone making it about how they made their money, is totally unrelated to how the team is playing or how they're going about their business related to football operations. If it was a tremendous significance to you or others, at the time he was trying to buy the franchise and be approved by owners, was when you had the opportunity to use your protest signs, mailing petitions, etc. Now that it is done, you could simply remove yourself as a fan of the team based on your disdain for the owner's means of financial opulence or just....let football be football and take your political / economic / social views somewhere else. The Pegulas own the team...until they decide to sell or are convicted of some crime, it won't change.

And funny you don't see the hypocrisy here: you throw verbal darts at the owner of the team you follow based on HOW he made enough money to own said team, thereby saving the team from relocation and losing the franchise. Would you feel better if someone else bought the Bills and moved them?

They said exactly what they have said since they hired Rex Ryan. Both he and the GM report directly to the owner. Whaley said it, the Pegulas have always said it. All of this BS about the organization being dysfunctional was born of scuttlebut and rumors. They have been consistent since day one. When will America tire of the news media just making stuff up and running with it in order to fit their own agenda? Lately if I read something in any newspaper I kind of automatically am suspicious that it's just made up BS.