Tim Graham article -T Pegs considers dysfunction an insult

Reed83HOF

Great article on both sides.

I think Tim respectfully asked the tough questions that needed to be asked, and the Pegulas gave the answers that needed to be given (even if the answer was "none of your business").

Hopefully the media can put a lot of that to rest now. Bbut I understand that probably wont happen until the teams actually start winning.

• Replies 323
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Loved that interview. Reiterates a lot of the stuff I have been saying for a couple weeks. It seems pretty simple. They don't like to divulge a lot. The Chain of command was, is, and always was very clear and not unusual in any way.

Couldn't agree more. Much ado about nothing.

Whenever I read posts like yours, I think of this guy:

WTmgCBW0.jpg

All hail the mighty leader!

Serioulsy this is who you think of because of this post... below

All I have to say is if it wasn't for the Pegulas, we wouldn't have a team. They are hands on owners because they truly care and want nothing more than to bring a winner to Buffalo. They're doing the absolute best job they can and fully admit that they've made some mistakes but will learn from them. It's not like they've been cheap owners and aren't providing all the financial resources either. You can argue that some of the money hasn't been well spent, but they are certainly giving it their best shot. I never understand all the criticism they get. They've basically saved the city and feel they deserve more respect than they get from the fans and media.

How in the world does this post above make you think of North Korea's Kim Jong

Edited by ddaryl

Smart move by the Pegulas in advance of todays PC. Now the media is on full advance notice the Pegulas won't be answering questions, and they have a variety of answers to the questions they were whining about since Whaley's dubious PC.

Now, hopefully, the focus can be on McDermott and what he plans to bring to the table -- not "can you work with Doug Whaley?" or any of that nonsense.

I do think the Pegulas learn. It would have been a lot better for the Bills image, Lynn and Whaley if the Pegulas had given an interview prior to their press conferences (esp. Whaleys).

So this time they did.

There will still be a bunch of "what makes you think you can work with Doug Whaley when we all think he undermined the last 2 coaches and ran them out of town, never mind what Whaley and Pegula say"

The only answer I took issue with was about the QB situation being "their business." Way too defensive for a pretty basic NFL question. I was fine with everything else and Graham did his job.

Why do you want the owners meddling in a decision best left to the GM and coaches?

Who said I wanted them to meddle?

You want them to answer the question about the QB situation. Anything they say about it, beyond saying it's up to the coaches and GM, is meddling.

Owners should have no say on personnel. In fact, knowing Timmah, it was probably a trap question.

Edited by PromoTheRobot

"We bought teams to keep them in the area and to flourish with them. I let the coaches and the players be out front and be the story."

I'm ok with all of that. He owns the business. However, the dysfunctional comments he finds insulting comes from their poor job at communication with the press and fan base. They are getting ripped off by the people in the public relations department. You have owners shooting out press releases, the owners aren't even on the same page with each other, GMs and interim head coaches stumbling, no press secretary, - it has the appearance of chaos.

If you want to stop being called a bunch of dysfunctional amateurs, stop selling the perception you are. It's simple.

"We bought teams to keep them in the area and to flourish with them. I let the coaches and the players be out front and be the story."

I'm ok with all of that. He owns the business. However, the dysfunctional comments he finds insulting comes from their poor job at communication with the press and fan base. They are getting ripped off by the people in the public relations department. You have owners shooting out press releases, the owners aren't even on the same page with each other, GMs and interim head coaches stumbling, no press secretary, - it has the appearance of chaos.

If you want to stop being called a bunch of dysfunctional amateurs, stop selling the perception you are. It's simple. .

Good post. Perception is reality to those who are perceiving, and while they likely are not "dysfunctional" behind closed doors, their poor PR has made the appearance of dysfunction toward the public.

The only answer I took issue with was about the QB situation being "their business." Way too defensive for a pretty basic NFL question. I was fine with everything else and Graham did his job.

Why is that defensive for a "basic NFL question"?

Anything the owner (or GM, or coach) says publically gets read like tealeaves for clues to their intent and could interfere with their plans. That's fundamental. Shaddup, Terry. Good job.

How do you view the Bills' quarterback situation compared to the rest of the NFL?

TP: That's our business. We shouldn't ... I'm not going to discuss our players out in public.

What are your feelings on Tyrod Taylor entering the 2017 season?

TP: That's up to my coach and GM.

Perfect, assuming it was said in a cordial tone (as Graham said)

Completely disagree with that.

What do you want them to say?

Anything the owner (or GM, or coach) says publically gets read like tealeaves for clues to their intent and could interfere with their plans. That's fundamental. Shaddup, Terry. Good job.

How do you view the Bills' quarterback situation compared to the rest of the NFL?

TP: That's our business. We shouldn't ... I'm not going to discuss our players out in public.

Thank you for explaining that.

Seems like he'd rather look like the dick, and give the organization the freedom to make whatever decision they want without looking dysfunctional.

If he says he likes Tyrod and the drop him - dysfunction.

If he doesn't like Tyrod and they keep him - dysfunction.

A full vote of confidence in Tyrod comes across as ignorant and disingenuous since everyone will admit he has some shortcomings.

A half measure of confidence is basically telling everyone Tyrod isn't good enough and is in reality no measure of confidence.

Best not to say anything.

Seems like he'd rather look like the dick, and give the organization the freedom to make whatever decision they want without looking dysfunctional.

If he says he likes Tyrod and the drop him - dysfunction.

If he doesn't like Tyrod and they keep him - dysfunction.

A full vote of confidence in Tyrod comes across as ignorant and disingenuous since everyone will admit he has some shortcomings.

A half measure of confidence is basically telling everyone Tyrod isn't good enough and is in reality no measure of confidence.

Best not to say anything.

And I'm sure Graham knew that. But he asked anyway hoping to lure a couple of rubes into another dysfunction narrative.

If you want to stop being called a bunch of dysfunctional amateurs, stop selling the perception you are. It's simple.

While I agree that Berchtold and the rest of the PR department could be a little more anticipatory in certain matters, I don't hold them entirely to blame for the "dysfunctional" perceptions. I think Whaley tries to be too nice because he has total disdain for a few members of the media and for good reason. I think he'd rather tell them to phuck off vs. couching his answers. Instead, he should just do a Belichick and let one or two word answers or NO answers suffice.

Media is not "owed" explanations.

Fans are not "owed" explanations.

Belichick and some other GMs understand that. Whaley, in trying too hard not to be offensive (because he IS pissed off) opens things up for far too much speculation and lets the media control the narrative. A narrative they have little understanding of to begin with. That lack of insight and understanding was prevalent in Tim Graham's interview with the Pegulas who did a great job in politely telling him to go pound sand.

Edited by K-9

Horse crap.

Sullivan is already out with an article claiming McDermott is an idiot if he keeps Taylor.

Let's say McDermott ditches Taylor. Let's say Taylor ends up QBing another team to an 8-8 record and the Bills go 4-12. Do you think Jerry will write an article saying it was the right decision or one pointing out how wrong it was?

All these guys are doing is setting up narratives and when those narratives fail or expire, they set up another one.

"Prove you're not dysfunctional" is not a realistic thing to ask anyone.