Rob Quinn on Trubisky replacing Tyrod

Lets say the Bills want to draft a QB at 10 they MIGHT find their guy at 10 but statistically speaking since 1999 the QBs taken at 10 or later haven't fared so well. Guys like Daunte Culpepper, Cade McNown, Matt Leinhart, Blaine Gabbert and Christian Ponder were all taken 10-12 or so. Only Big Ben, taken 11th in 2005 has been successful with Jay Cutler 11th in 2006 having moderate success a couple seasons.

Go back into the teens and it gets even worse. Kyle Boller at 19, Josh Freeman 17, EJ 16, Chad Pennington 18. Only Joe Flacco in 2008 at 18 has had moderate success. 20s, laughable besides Aaron Rodgers and to a much lesser extent Jason Campbell with guys like JP Loserman, Tim Tebow(ok he had the tebow factor but sucked), Rex Grossman, Brady Quinn and Johnny Manziel(ugh cleveland lol)

Heck even the very top of the draft is filled with duds, Akili Smith 3, Jamarcus Russel 1, Tim Couch 1(ugh Cle), Joey Harrington 3.

So if Trubisky is available at 10 is he a Roethlisberger or a Gabbert? One things for certain, Whaley and the scout team need to get it right.

Yes QB is a huge gamble. They come from many rounds. Current starting QBs I would rather have than TT:

Wilson 75

Carr 36

Prescott 135

A young Romo undrafted

Bradey 199

Even

Dalton 35

Edited by simpleman

• Replies 187
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Crap article. Crap commentary.

Taylor is worth keeping at the right price. Obviously the Bills need to try to find somebody better than Taylor, but there's no guarantee that they will be able to do that in 2017. With Taylor, at least the Bills are competitive.

The Bills may be wise to sign Taylor for $5M-$7M and then hope that they can find a better, long term solution in the 2017 draft.

Manuel absolutely blows and should not be signed under any circumstances.

This is crap. He ain't taking that paycut. Have any logical fixes ?

How about Trubisky/Watson etc ?

It would be a godsend for the Broncos if TT was released. With TT, and an above average or better defense, Denver wins the AFCW and the SB.

And the Bills join the Browns in extreme disaster. Johnny Football, anyone? RGIII? That's what we have to look forward to.

Or the Bills could keep TT with all his flaws and strengths, fix the D, get a couple of better receivers, and build instead of destroy.

Until Thomas and Sanders ask to get traded. Booker and Anderson aren't McCoy and TD mike. Edited by Ryan L Billz

Sj had pride in this team. Tell me your tale about Lesean McCoy again please.

Its time to field a winner, all starts at the qb position.

Tyrod has Bills pride too!

He played thru a serious groin injury and didn't flail around and embellish the discomfort like that drama queen SJ13.

And yes, in 2015 I stated that McCoy should run for 5.5 ypc in the Roman-styled, Taylor-lead Bills offense........and after he got his act together last offseason, he ran for 5.4 this year.

I was off by .1 ypc.....but I shan't quibble. If Tyrod had been on the field for the Jets game McCoy would have hit that mark, IMO. :beer:

Tyrod has Bills pride too!

He played thru a serious groin injury and didn't flail around and embellish the discomfort like that drama queen SJ13.

And yes, in 2015 I stated that McCoy should run for 5.5 ypc in the Roman-styled, Taylor-lead Bills offense........and after he got his act together last offseason, he ran for 5.4 this year.

I was off by .1 ypc.....but I shan't quibble. If Tyrod had been on the field for the Jets game McCoy would have hit that mark, IMO. :beer:

I'm glad you're factoring in the EJ handicap!

No QB with the coaching and play calling of the OC could succeed on the bills.

Just watching the 2 minute offense, no quick pace or hurry up, unimaginative formations and not using Watkins could also be to blame for a passing game that ranked 30th.

Frankly I don't know if he is the QB, but the options are all much worse.

I bet an offensively minded coach and the team wins.

which of those are available?

I already listed 4 possible QBs to draft in #46 of this thread. I was replying to your post stating how hopeless it appeared to be to draft a QB beyond the first few top picks of the draft. You listed a number of busts in past history. I listed a number of current successful starting QBs in the league showing that it was not at all hopeless to draft a quality QB beyond the first few draft positions.BTW those who want to stay with TT, 180.

Edited by simpleman

Might not have to.

Considering how QBs go I would really be surprised if we didn't have to trade up.

1. The guy doing math for me is the NFL stats - Bills avg 189.8 ypg passing, WHILE Tyrod threw for.... excellent reading comprehension, I must say.

2. The site I write for covers newsworthy topics, ya know, like the quarterback situation that's had eveyone at each other's throats for the last 2 months.

3. The title is 'COULD' as in, like, a question. Maybe he could, maybe he couldn't.

4. I'm on the fence with Tyrod, but yes, it would be foolish to move on from him considering his money really isn't that big of a deal, and Jones would be the only QB on roster. That is prob one of 5 opinion posts i've written all season.

Anyway, thanks the feedback. I'll let you guys go back to comparing articles about discussion-starting topics. Appreciate the traffic :)

Sam Darnold for QB

This is Exhibit A why I just can't take media pundits too seriously

I'm not entirely sure why you'd use this as Exhibit A.

Rob very clearly stated his stance earlier. We can't just write opinion pieces, we have to keep up with newsworthy topics. Mitch Trubisky declaring is newsworthy and moving on from Tyrod seems to be likely. It's a question worth posing, at least in our eyes.

what you fail to realize is that we are both for better play at the qb position. But the smart play is to keep tyrod right now and try to find a guy to come in and compete. A rookie qb will win less games with this defense next year and it could ruin his development if we fail to improve that d. Brady, rodgers, wilson all had crazy success quick cause of their dominant defense. fact. Many scouts believe this is not a strong draft class at qb so you may be throwing away years of this teams success on a guy who doesn't pan out. So, the smart play is to build the defense with a nice safety and maybe take a guy in the 2nd or 3rd but keep tyrod. then if we get the big defense you make the big trade next year if there is a guy and go for him. But to just throw all caution in the wind for a weak qb class and just risk years of losing is mind blowingly dumb.

Aristocrat "gets it". The Bills have $30M in cap space next year WITH Tyrod's current contract. They can take a rookie QB in the 1st - 3rd round and make the cap work out.

People who want us to trade up for Trubisky at the cost of 3 or 4 1st and 2nd round picks have me SMH. The guy has started for one season. Historically such college QB are hardly a sure bet.

Yes QB is a huge gamble. They come from many rounds. Current starting QBs I would rather have than TT:

Wilson 75

Carr 36

Prescott 135

A young Romo undrafted

Bradey 199

Even

Dalton 35

Simpleman,

You are correct that QB come in many rounds. What needs to be factored into account is the number of QB drafted in late rounds, goes up dramatically. Thus the percentage of successful QB drafted in late rounds is very much lower than QB drafted at the top of the 1st.

I'm not entirely sure why you'd use this as Exhibit A.

Rob very clearly stated his stance earlier. We can't just write opinion pieces, we have to keep up with newsworthy topics. Mitch Trubisky declaring is newsworthy and moving on from Tyrod seems to be likely. It's a question worth posing, at least in our eyes.

I guess I'm insufficiently able to distinguish between a "very clearly stated earlier stance" followed by a newsworthy topic, and an about face on said stance encapsulated by writing "Taylor’s struggles throughout the 2016 season are well documented. He failed to show much, if any, progression as a passer in his second year as Buffalo’s starting quarterback. The Bills’ passing offense was 30th in the NFL, averaging less than 200 yards-per-game through the air and Taylor threw for just 3,023 passing yards, 17 touchdowns and six interceptions." absent any of the qualification or context stressed in the earlier article.

It would be a godsend for the Broncos if TT was released. With TT, and an above average or better defense, Denver wins the AFCW and the SB.

And the Bills join the Browns in extreme disaster. Johnny Football, anyone? RGIII? That's what we have to look forward to.

Or the Bills could keep TT with all his flaws and strengths, fix the D, get a couple of better receivers, and build instead of destroy.

You make too much sense to post on here. Save yourself. Go quietly in the dark. Never look back. Tell them about our story.....

Trubisky, a junior with only one season as a starter in college, is not as polished as Jared Goff or Carson Wentz were at this point last year.

Be careful what you wish for.

Edited by nedboy7

I guess I'm insufficiently able to distinguish between a "very clearly stated earlier stance" followed by a newsworthy topic, and an about face on said stance encapsulated by writing "Taylor’s struggles throughout the 2016 season are well documented. He failed to show much, if any, progression as a passer in his second year as Buffalo’s starting quarterback. The Bills’ passing offense was 30th in the NFL, averaging less than 200 yards-per-game through the air and Taylor threw for just 3,023 passing yards, 17 touchdowns and six interceptions." absent any of the qualification or context stressed in the earlier article.

If we pose any type of question, we have to back it up with some degree of logic. Again, not everything we write is an opinion piece. Sometimes, we're just covering the newsworthy topic and trying to make a case for why that might make sense.

I'm inevitably going to write about draft prospects I'm not fond of this year but I'll be doing it with an eye on why they would make sense for the team. It's not an endorsement of the player when I write about him, just a pros and cons argument on why the team might like the player. Same way that Rob wants to keep Tyrod on the roster but he accepts the downside to his game. You can be realistic about the situation without applying your own personal bias, it's objectivity.

Is this the same "Rob Quinn" who wrote this one day ago?

"4 reasons the Buffalo Bills would be foolish to let Tyrod Taylor walk

"Now, Taylor certainly didnt have the season many expected but if the Bills dont pick up his option, it would be just one of countless short-sighted and desperate moves the team has made in their frantic quest to make their first playoff appearance since 1999."

"Buffalos offense was built around the philosophy of running the ball. A lot. Their 492 rushing attempts trailed only the Dallas Cowboys and their 2,630 rushing yards and 29 touchdowns were each the most in the NFL. Taylors threat as a runner played a role in the Bills rushing success, as the team often utilized option plays that forced defenses to play contain in order to prevent him from running on his own.Could Taylor have been on target with quite a few more throws? Absolutely. Did he hold onto the ball too long at times? Sure. But, without his top wide receivers for over half of the season, Taylor had an uphill climb with the group of receivers at his disposal."

"The NFL draft always provides optimism for fans, especially at the quarterback position. The value of quarterbacks has led to unworthy prospects being over-drafted simply due to the constant scramble for the overemphasized franchise quarterback that many believe come around every year.

This years crop of quarterbacks doesnt look too impressive

The NFL draft always provides optimism for fans, especially at the quarterback position. The value of quarterbacks has led to unworthy prospects being over-drafted simply due to the constant scramble for the overemphasized franchise quarterback that many believe come around every year.

This years crop of quarterbacks doesnt look too impressive".

Nice thread fail...

That was his other personality writing that...this one only comes out on Monday

If we pose any type of question, we have to back it up with some degree of logic. Again, not everything we write is an opinion piece. Sometimes, we're just covering the newsworthy topic and trying to make a case for why that might make sense.

I'm inevitably going to write about draft prospects I'm not fond of this year but I'll be doing it with an eye on why they would make sense for the team. It's not an endorsement of the player when I write about him, just a pros and cons argument on why the team might like the player. Same way that Rob wants to keep Tyrod on the roster but he accepts the downside to his game. You can be realistic about the situation without applying your own personal bias, it's objectivity.

I understand the point you're making. I think to me, to perceive it as objectivity, it would need to include a little more balanced assessment of Tyrod. For example, while stating the truth about the passing game, could add a sentence "the Bills had the #6 points-for offense through Week 16 and Taylor stood at #12 in Cold Hard Football Facts real Quarterback rating ( which includes both a QB's rushing and passing attempts).

When writing about draft prospects, won't you be including both pluses and minuses to their game, as well as why you think they might make logical sense to the team?

I already listed 4 possible QBs to draft in #46 of this thread. I was replying to your post stating how hopeless it appeared to be to draft a QB beyond the first few top picks of the draft. You listed a number of busts in past history. I listed a number of current successful starting QBs in the league showing that it was not at all hopeless to draft a quality QB beyond the first few draft positions.BTW those who want to stay with TT, 180.

I agree with you that QBs can be drafted anywhere thats what i meant with my earlier post. There's just as much upside potential to be had anywhere in the draft, don't necessarily have to reach at 10

Cousins 102

Foles 88 maybe avail

Garoppolo 62 is for trade

Glennon 73

Jones 115

McCarron 164

Young promising guys the Bills could go after.

these could be available, not sure i'm trading for any of them but I do like McCarron.