Rob Quinn on Trubisky replacing Tyrod

Hope you nailed this one Rob Rang

https://www.google.com/amp/www.cbssports.com/nfl/draft/news/nfl-mock-draft-bills-land-mitch-trubisky-after-browns-49ers-bears-pass-on-qbs/amp/?client=safari

10. Buffalo Bills

Mitch Trubisky, QB, North Carolina: The Bills' draft day strategy will get a lot clearer by March 12, when the guaranteed portion of incumbent starting quarterback Tyrod Taylor's contract kicks in. If Taylor remains on the roster, Buffalo may address a receiving corps that currently contains five pending free agents. General manager Doug Whaley has shown a willingness to gamble in the past, however, and he could be eyeing this year's top quarterback prospects as way to reshuffle the deck. Sure there is skepticism surrounding Trubisky, who only emerged as the Tar Heels starter in 2016, but other than experience, he possesses many of the traits scouts look for in a franchise quarterback including accuracy, arm strength, mobility and poise.

• Replies 187
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Is this the same "Rob Quinn" who wrote this one day ago?

"4 reasons the Buffalo Bills would be foolish to let Tyrod Taylor walk

"Now, Taylor certainly didn’t have the season many expected but if the Bills don’t pick up his option, it would be just one of countless short-sighted and desperate moves the team has made in their frantic quest to make their first playoff appearance since 1999."

"Buffalo’s offense was built around the philosophy of running the ball. A lot. Their 492 rushing attempts trailed only the Dallas Cowboys and their 2,630 rushing yards and 29 touchdowns were each the most in the NFL. Taylor’s threat as a runner played a role in the Bills’ rushing success, as the team often utilized option plays that forced defenses to play contain in order to prevent him from running on his own.Could Taylor have been on target with quite a few more throws? Absolutely. Did he hold onto the ball too long at times? Sure. But, without his top wide receivers for over half of the season, Taylor had an uphill climb with the group of receivers at his disposal."

"The NFL draft always provides optimism for fans, especially at the quarterback position. The value of quarterbacks has led to unworthy prospects being over-drafted simply due to the constant scramble for the overemphasized ‘franchise quarterback’ that many believe come around every year.

This year’s crop of quarterbacks doesn’t look too impressive

The NFL draft always provides optimism for fans, especially at the quarterback position. The value of quarterbacks has led to unworthy prospects being over-drafted simply due to the constant scramble for the overemphasized ‘franchise quarterback’ that many believe come around every year.

This year’s crop of quarterbacks doesn’t look too impressive".

Nice thread fail...

LOL...HAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHA

A 6'3 220 pound straw man who throws darts over the middle.

Bye bye TT.

Gee I can't wait for this guy in the NFL. North Carolina played a handful of games against good teams. And he was pretty much less than stellar in all of them, except for Florida State, where he was pretty lights out. So, call me a little less enthusiastic about this "dart thrower". His darts didn't seem to connect much against teams that have a clue in the NCAA.

24-40 for 156 yards against Georgia at home. 0 TD's, 0 INT's.

13-33 for 58 yards against Virginia Tech at home. 0 TD's, 2 INT's

23-39 for 280 yards against Stanford on a neutral field with 2 TD's and 2 INT's

Lights Out Here though, almost unexplainably....

31-38 for 405 yards, and 3 TD's at FSU. Great game.

Of course though, he lit up Illinois, JMU (FCS), Pitt, Miami, UVA, Citadel (FCS), NC State, and Duke though. Because those teams are all so good.

Mark me down as not really all that impressed. The ACC is awful outside of two schools. The defenses are awful for the most part. They played two schools in the FCS. He's a one year wonder that really wasn't all that great against some borderline top level competition. Red Flags all over if you ask me. He could end up special, but if this guys busts, you can't say there wasn't sufficient enough evidence to see that.

Edited by Lv-Bills

Gee I can't wait for this guy in the NFL. North Carolina played a handful of games against good teams. And he was pretty much less than stellar in all of them, except for Florida State, where he was pretty lights out. So, call me a little less enthusiastic about this "dart thrower". His darts didn't seem to connect much against teams that have a clue in the NCAA.

23-39 for 280 yards against Standford on a neutral field with 2 TD's and 2 INT's

Lights Out Here through, almost unexplainably....

Of course though, he lit up Illinois, JMU (FCS), Pitt, Miami, UVA, Citadel (FCS), NC State, and Duke though. Because those teams are all so good.

Mark me down as not really all that impressed. The ACC is awful outside of two schools. The defenses are awful for the most part. They played two schools in the FCS. He's a one year wonder that really wasn't all that great against some borderline top level competition. Red Flags all over if you ask me. He could end up special, but if this guys busts, you can't say there wasn't sufficient enough evidence to see that.

So 3 bad games out of 13 ? Including one played in a tropical storm ?

I don't see the red flags. Dudes a stud who plays hard and can make tons of NFL level passes all over the field.

I don't see the red flags. Dudes a stud who plays hard and can make tons of NFL level passes all over the field.

3 bad games out of 4 against teams with a clue. Huge Red Flags.

He was awful in almost every one. I could care less about what he did against the other high schools that were on NC's schedule. Any college prospect can put together a highlight tape. Coaches could care less about those. Show me games where the kid plays against the best programs and show me all of the other film outside of the highlights that he sends you. That's where the real story is.

This kid wasn't good against good teams. That's a red flag. Doesn't mean he won't be a good NFL QB, but he's far from a sure fire thing.

3 bad games out of 4 against teams with a clue. Huge Red Flags.

He was awful in almost every one. I could care less about what he did against the other high schools that were on NC's schedule. Any college prospect can put together a highlight tape. Coaches could care less about those. Show me games where the kid plays against the best programs and show me all of the other film outside of the highlights that he sends you. That's where the real story is.

This kid wasn't good against good teams. That's a red flag. Doesn't mean he won't be a good NFL QB, but he's far from a sure fire thing.

I think Ryan is correct to discount that game in the monsoon. So really he only sucked 67% of the time against good teams, not 75%.

23-39 for 280 yards against Standford on a neutral field with 2 TD's and 2 INT's

Lights Out Here through, almost unexplainably....

Yep. Before we draft this guy in the 1st round, someone needs to explain why he's a better prospect--or even less "raw"--than Cardale Jones.

Yep. Before we draft this guy in the 1st round, someone needs to explain why he's a better prospect--or even less "raw"--than Cardale Jones.

Much better accuracy

I think Ryan is correct to discount that game in the monsoon. So really he only sucked 67% of the time against good teams, not 75%.

These numbers work, Tru almost beat Stanford more of a RT thing than a Tru thing.

Much better accuracy

You're deluding yourself if you think Trubisky is a better prospect than Cardale because he had a higher completion percentage in college (against a far lower level of competition). If "accuracy" (as measured by completion percentage, presumably) were all that mattered, then the Kellen Moores and Bryce Pettys of the world would have been drafted in the first round and would now be franchise QBs. (Tom Brady, by the way, had a completion percentage at Michigan of just over 60, about the same as CJ.) CJ had a slightly higher YPA (8.6 vs. 8.4), won a hell of lot more big games, against better competition, is bigger, faster and has a stronger arm than Trubisky. They both played about a full season of college ball. I'm not saying that either will or will not become a star in the NFL, but there is no reason to consider Trubisky a better (or even more "pro-ready") prospect than CJ, and therefore no reason to spend a high draft pick on him or, god forbid, trade up for him.

Edited by mannc

False. Trubisky is a a top 10 pick

Cardale was 139th.

There are reasons

Enlighten us. What are those reasons? (And of course, no one knows where Trubisky will be picked; many QBs projected as first rounders in February have had to wait a long time to hear their names called in April.) Oh, and I suppose there were also "reasons" that Jared Goff was selected first overall last year, while Dak Prescott had to wait until the middle of the fourth round. Those "reasons" turned out to be rubbish.

Enlighten us. What are those reasons? (And of course, no one knows where Trubisky will be picked; many QBs projected as first rounders in February have had to wait a long time to hear their names called in April.) Oh, and I suppose there were also "reasons" that Jared Goff was selected first overall last year, while Dak Prescott had to wait until the middle of the fourth round. Those "reasons" turned out to be rubbish.

Nope. Have fun with the irrelevant Dak Prescott Jared Goff take.

You have it under control.

Anytime. Sink or swim w Cardale works for me if you're consigning it.

For the record, regardless whether we re-up Tyrod, I'm in favor of drafting another QB this year, but it has to be someone who is (a) a better prospect than Cardale, or (b) is available in round 3 or lower. Trubisky might turn out to be a very good pro, but I can't understand why he is considered a better or more NFL-ready prospect than Cardale. If MT were still available in round three or lower, I'd be fine with taking him there. It sounds like some other team might fall in love with him and he'll go a lot higher than that. So be it.

The giant red flag is Larry Fedora's system of all offense and no defense. It's the football version of what Loyola Marymount used to do in college basketball.