Have folks already given up on Cardale?

eball

• Replies 116
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

As Bills fans...the way things seem to be going...I think we better get used to the idea of Cardale being option #1 for the 2017 season...

We'll see of course...But it certainly looks to me that IF Tyrod is gone it's going to be Cardale's job to lose... B-)

Amid all of the hand-wringing over whether Tyrod is a franchise guy, I guess I haven't seen a whole lot about what people think of Cardale. Yes, he's still raw and not quite ready for a starting role, but to my aging eyes he has "franchise QB" written all over him if he's allowed to take another year to practice and learn.

Pros:

-- rifle arm; the 2nd pass he threw Sunday was a sideline out that was an absolute rocket -- few QBs can make that throw

-- "quiet" in the pocket; no happy feet and the moment is not too big for him

-- great size/stature and an ability to run if needed

-- ideal temperament; teammates love him but seems to be able to have an "edge" if the moment requires it

-- comment by ALynn that Cardale "has never seen a WR who isn't open" is music to my ears; that is the kind of confidence you see from the greats (reminds me of Kelly)

Cons:

-- raw; fewer than 15 starts in college or pros

-- trusts arm so much that he allows lower body mechanics to suffer

-- can he read an NFL defense? (the biggest question by far)

I really think Cardale could be great, and I'd be fine with another year of Tyrod as Cardale moves up to #2.

havent given up on him but if you think he is any more than a major long shot i think you are only setting yourself up to be disappointed.

It looked to me, the whole game, that many Bills were just going through the paces and not giving close to full effort.

It also seemed( haven't looked at all 22) that our receivers were blanketed all game. Maybe because of the first comment but I would love to have seen Cardale get a chance to hit some receivers who were open.

You can tell the Bills did not want him to play this year. Lynn only put him in because EJ was choking.

Like his pocket presence and arm, he climbs the pocket. Like his demeanor.

He really needs to get touch going on passes less than 20 yards. He was firing 100 mph fastballs at receivers 5 yards away. But other QB's like Favre with big arms eventually learned they didn't need to throw a fastball on every throw.

I think that one thing that you will find with Cardale is that he competes. The reaction after the blow to the head and garbage grounding call is the perfect example. He got up and slapped the guy on the butt. There is a certain positive energy about Cardale that I think is a good quality for a QB.

I wasn't a fan of him when they drafted him. He looked really bad his senior year at OSU. Two things really bother me about him, he can be very inaccurate at times and "has never seen a WR who isn't open" is a negative as well. He will throw a lot of INTS and I suspect some will come at really bad (stupid) times.

Inaccurate isn't the word I'd use ... due to his arm strength the ball goes way off course at times, like hitting a reporter 20 yards out of bounds off course.

Right now he doesn't have happy feet simply because he hasn't been hit much by NFL defenders and that will change as play time goes on. Another concern is how careful with the ball will he be during a game when things aren't going well for the offense and the OC keeps calling pass plays. There was a real reason he was benched his senior year at OSU and it remains to be seen just how he develops.

This developmental process all depends on his supporting cast and if Whaley will ever fix the RT position or get some quality receivers that can play a full 16 games.

If Doug Whaley is smart he will pay Tyrod and ditch EJ and allow Cardale to be the backup while drafting another QB. OR dump EJ, Tyrod and bring in Jay Cutler or Tony Romo and let Jones be the backup while drafting a QB. I dunno about Lynn as HC either as 30th in the NFL in passing yardage the last two years isn't very good despite the good rushing numbers with Greg Romans playbook. Teams need to be balanced to win in the playoffs.

As physically talented as he is I think Cardale's ceiling is as a backup. Nothing wrong with that.

But you never know.

He really should have kept his grades up and transferred somewhere for his final year of eligibility. He never fit Meyer's offense and he would have had programs lining up to take him. With a big year he may have been a first-rounder.

He needs this offseason to work on his mechanics, especially foot work and then learning how to read defenses. What i like about him is his arm and that he delivers the ball.

I know this is a preseason game and it's old, but i can only imagine he's improved since then despite the Jets game.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ybKuO8fqaOU

he makes good throws, better than i saw Tyrod make. I know its third string at this point but still...

Also this is the Jets game, but this was a beautiful pass right here. TT couldn't make this throw, if he did the hang time would have been 3 seconds lol

https://youtu.be/uO7F6XO8qCo?t=460

Edited by gr8billsfan