Have folks already given up on Cardale?

eball

• Replies 116
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Amid all of the hand-wringing over whether Tyrod is a franchise guy, I guess I haven't seen a whole lot about what people think of Cardale. Yes, he's still raw and not quite ready for a starting role, but to my aging eyes he has "franchise QB" written all over him if he's allowed to take another year to practice and learn.

Pros:

-- rifle arm; the 2nd pass he threw Sunday was a sideline out that was an absolute rocket -- few QBs can make that throw

-- "quiet" in the pocket; no happy feet and the moment is not too big for him

-- great size/stature and an ability to run if needed

-- ideal temperament; teammates love him but seems to be able to have an "edge" if the moment requires it

-- comment by ALynn that Cardale "has never seen a WR who isn't open" is music to my ears; that is the kind of confidence you see from the greats (reminds me of Kelly)

Cons:

-- raw; fewer than 15 starts in college or pros

-- trusts arm so much that he allows lower body mechanics to suffer

-- can he read an NFL defense? (the biggest question by far)

I really think Cardale could be great, and I'd be fine with another year of Tyrod as Cardale moves up to #2.

I think he could possibly be very good just from what we've seen so far. He is far from a finished product and has a lot of work ahead of him if he truly wants to be great, but he has all the talent in the world.

Cardale has plenty of talent (as much or more than any QB in that draft) but was never a guy that was going to be ready early in his career. Nothing has changed. 2018 is probably the first time that he should be looked at as a potential starter. He has a high ceiling and a low floor though. He is a raw prospect.

Indeed--he was much better than I expected him to be in his limited action last Sunday.

I expected him to be a train wreck.

Indeed--he was much better than I expected him to be in his limited action last Sunday.

I thought he looked pretty lousy, but that's just me. He came in in a tough situation, so there is that. If that game wasn't meaningless, Hunter gets called for offensive PI 9 times out of 10 too. It was *ridiculous* that OPI wasn't called there.

Edited by dave mcbride

Agree with others that there's nothing there yet to give up on. He's a developmental 3rd stringer until he proves something in pre-season or the Bills go into tank mode. Will give him credit on working on his body. Looks like he shed a few pounds from his Ohio State days. He better hope Bills don't take QB in 1st or 2nd round in April. Chances of developing then are basically zero.

There have been rumblings that he has looked sharp at practice. Cardale seems to be progressing. I don't know if people really grasp how far away from being an NFL QB he was? His ceiling is incredibly high though. He wasn't a guy like Connor Cook for example that had played a thousand games and is what he is. He was a guy with all of the physical tools in the world that was either going to learn to use them or not. So far, he seems to be making progress. I am with you; he looked better than I expected.

Edited by Kirby Jackson

I thought he looked pretty lousy, but that's just me. He came in in a tough situation, so there is that.

It wasn't just you. I thought he looked horrible too. The long pass was cool, but the DB tripped over his own feet yet still the pass was horribly under thrown. Hunter could have scored if he didn't try to pre gloat down 30-3 or whatever it was.

Now that he had actually played, he's started on the slide to "he sucks".

Don't bet the ranch.

Urban "found a new home" for Cardale's 2015 QB coach this week. Tim Beck was a train wreck. I expect David Lee will be out the door soon too. The most support that he needs is in the film room. A vet QB comfortable with the mentor role added to this team, regardless of who the QB coach is, would be tremendously helpful for this particular player.

Edited by YoloinOhio

It wasn't just you. I thought he looked horrible too. The long pass was cool, but the DB tripped over his own feet yet still the pass was horribly under thrown. Hunter could have scored if he didn't try to pre gloat down 30-3 or whatever it was.

Now that he had actually played, he's started on the slide to "he sucks".

Don't bet the ranch.

Revis tripped over his own feet because he was shoved by Hunter! Smart move by Hunter, though - OPI was ignored all game. The Jets receivers were throwing Darby around all game. Refs wanted out.

Hes really raw. Dont think hell be ready for at least another year. Im indifferent to him. If hes your starter next year opening day thats whaleys ego getting the best of him. If they dont think tyrod is the long term answer I want them to gut this team like a fish. Go 0-16. Get Sam Darnold.

Edited by TANK2

Amid all of the hand-wringing over whether Tyrod is a franchise guy, I guess I haven't seen a whole lot about what people think of Cardale. Yes, he's still raw and not quite ready for a starting role, but to my aging eyes he has "franchise QB" written all over him if he's allowed to take another year to practice and learn.

Pros:

-- rifle arm; the 2nd pass he threw Sunday was a sideline out that was an absolute rocket -- few QBs can make that throw

-- ideal temperament; teammates love him but seems to be able to have an "edge" if the moment requires it

-- comment by ALynn that Cardale "has never seen a WR who isn't open" is music to my ears; that is the kind of confidence you see from the greats (reminds me of Kelly)

Cons:

I really think Cardale could be great, and I'd be fine with another year of Tyrod as Cardale moves up to #2.

I think that's a realistic, rational scenario.

Despite all the crying over TT's deficiencies, our offense was reasonably productive this year. They did put points on the board. So maybe you go another year with TT, continue to develop Cardale, and maybe draft a QB too if someone the scouts believe in is there for the taking.

Football isn't ramen. You don't pop it into the microwave for 2 minutes and get what you want. There might not be a great answer at QB for 2017, merely a serviceable one with a patient plan for the future.

Edited by hondo in seattle

Now isn't the time to give up on Cardale. However, if he doesn't show any progress after year 2 going into year 3, then it doesn't make any sense to spend any more time on him, move on to the next project QB.

Pros:

Cons:

I wasn't a fan of him when they drafted him. He looked really bad his senior year at OSU. Two things really bother me about him, he can be very inaccurate at times and "has never seen a WR who isn't open" is a negative as well. He will throw a lot of INTS and I suspect some will come at really bad (stupid) times.