Have folks already given up on Cardale?

eball

• Replies 116
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I admit I never played QB in College, much less high school. But in any sport I have ever played the only way I truly ever got better was actually playing the game. I remember classes in bowling. I was above average before I was forced to completely redo my footwork and release. I ultimately had a nice approach and release to watch, but I still had about the same average. I just looked better doing it according to the pros.

I spent hours hitting the ball into the wall in tennis in practice. I increased my strength and speed, but the only way I actually got better in the game (meaning winning) was playing in as many real games as I could against decent players.

I keep hearing about development as spending years on the bench. I find it tough to believe that watching and waiting is the best way to get better. Spending time watching and being mentored by a Brady or a Manning may help. But sitting a bench watching a mediocre vet being mediocre or being coached by someone who never WAS an outstanding QB does not seem to be the best way to develop a QB. You need to PLAY to get better. To develop, CJ needs to play with first team talent. If he really has the brains and the desire, he needs to learn by doing against top NFL talent. He needs practice, practice, practice. If he has the drive, desire and is able to accept and process the valid critiques of what he does wrong and is willing to correct his mistakes, his ceiling will be sky high. If not, sitting on the bench for 20 years will not improve his game. Let him compete in the preseason in an open competition for the starting position, simply success or failure. People are not fine wine that ages simply by sitting for a long time. Book learning and watching over and over again are not how you learn. He has done that for a year in Buffalo. He did that in college. You learn by doing, period. This talk about ruining him by pushing him is bull. Either he has it or he doesn't.

Edited by simpleman

Give up on Cardale Jones!!!!! Really. :wallbash:

If anyone actually has strong hope here is delussional. Why not just draft the QB from Lackawana High and expect him to develop and spend time worrying about it.

I have little hope for Cardale, that does not mean I want the Bills to cut him, but working with him is a matter for GOOD coaches over a period of time to see what raw

talent can be controlled.

Oh yeah...that is what Baltimore did with TT and we paid for that effort to get him.

Give up on Cardale Jones!!!!! Really. :wallbash:

If anyone actually has strong hope here is delussional. Why not just draft the QB from Lackawana High and expect him to develop and spend time worrying about it.

I have little hope for Cardale, that does not mean I want the Bills to cut him, but working with him is a matter for GOOD coaches over a period of time to see what raw

talent can be controlled.

Oh yeah...that is what Baltimore did with TT and we paid for that effort to get him.

Exactly...... There is no way he is the Bills QB in 2017 or 218. If he is the Bills QB in the next two years then they are tanking and gunning for 4-12.......

I admit I never played QB in College, much less high school. But in any sport I have ever played the only way I truly ever got better was actually playing the game. I remember classes in bowling. I was above average before I was forced to completely redo my footwork and release. I ultimately had a nice approach and release to watch, but I still had about the same average. I just looked better doing it according to the pros.

I spent hours hitting the ball into the wall in tennis in practice. I increased my strength and speed, but the only way I actually got better in the game (meaning winning) was playing in as many real games as I could against decent players.

I keep hearing about development as spending years on the bench. I find it tough to believe that watching and waiting is the best way to get better. Spending time watching and being mentored by a Brady or a Manning may help. But sitting a bench watching a mediocre vet being mediocre or being coached by someone who never WAS an outstanding QB does not seem to be the best way to develop a QB. You need to PLAY to get better. To develop, CJ needs to play with first team talent. If he really has the brains and the desire, he needs to learn by doing against top NFL talent. He needs practice, practice, practice. If he has the drive, desire and is able to accept and process the valid critiques of what he does wrong and is willing to correct his mistakes, his ceiling will be sky high. If not, sitting on the bench for 20 years will not improve his game. Let him compete in the preseason in an open competition for the starting position, simply success or failure. People are not fine wine that ages simply by sitting for a long time. Book learning and watching over and over again are not how you learn. He has done that for a year in Buffalo. He did that in college. You learn by doing, period. This talk about ruining him by pushing him is bull. Either he has it or he doesn't.

Aaron Rodgers says hi.

I havent given up on Cardale at all but what is there to say? Wasnt active all year until week 17 and then week 17 he plays bc EJ has an abomination of a game. Cardale throws 11 passes vs a defense that mailed it in about 8 weeks ago. Not much to say at all other than we'll see.

Im fine with going into next season with Cardale as the backup (competing for starting job).

I havent given up on Cardale at all but what is there to say? Wasnt active all year until week 17 and then week 17 he plays bc EJ has an abomination of a game. Cardale throws 11 passes vs a defense that mailed it in about 8 weeks ago. Not much to say at all other than we'll see.

Im fine with going into next season with Cardale as the backup (competing for starting job).

Maybe this makes sense but I would have guessed that they were planning on him being inactive all year before they even drafted him. It was basically a red shirt year. I guess what I am trying to say I would bet that the Bills are thrilled with his progress to date not disappointed. He was very far from being ready and has already proven to be competent if thrown out there. That's ahead of what they would have expected I think. He is a project.

Maybe this makes sense but I would have guessed that they were planning on him being inactive all year before they even drafted him. It was basically a red shirt year. I guess what I am trying to say I would bet that the Bills are thrilled with his progress to date not disappointed. He was very far from being ready and has already proven to be competent if thrown out there. That's ahead of what they would have expected I think. He is a project.

I thought he looked OK vs Jets given the circumstances. Still stares down his primary (only) target, but had the confident throws that EJ never showed. Lynn called a few plays that were clearly designed for TT and those should leave the playbook because CJ isn't that fast.

I've seen a hell of a lot worse out of Bills QBs over the years.

Amid all of the hand-wringing over whether Tyrod is a franchise guy, I guess I haven't seen a whole lot about what people think of Cardale. Yes, he's still raw and not quite ready for a starting role, but to my aging eyes he has "franchise QB" written all over him if he's allowed to take another year to practice and learn.

Pros:

-- rifle arm; the 2nd pass he threw Sunday was a sideline out that was an absolute rocket -- few QBs can make that throw

-- "quiet" in the pocket; no happy feet and the moment is not too big for him

-- great size/stature and an ability to run if needed

-- ideal temperament; teammates love him but seems to be able to have an "edge" if the moment requires it

-- comment by ALynn that Cardale "has never seen a WR who isn't open" is music to my ears; that is the kind of confidence you see from the greats (reminds me of Kelly)

Cons:

-- raw; fewer than 15 starts in college or pros

-- trusts arm so much that he allows lower body mechanics to suffer

-- can he read an NFL defense? (the biggest question by far)

I really think Cardale could be great, and I'd be fine with another year of Tyrod as Cardale moves up to #2.

He needs a lot of work...likely at least 2 years away from being able to even be ready to play on a regular basis...

For those of you who remember Kemp Lamonica, I offer this. What if Cardale plays the fireman role to win games in the 4th quarter. Since that is the knock on Taylor, it might be the perfect combination to win close games.

I don't think anyone would use that kind of substitution in today's game. I think Taylor doesn't see enough of the field. If they go in another direction, that is mainly why.

Jones needs more seasoning by all accounts. I like his attitude, though.

I sincerely hop no one has ALREADY given up on Cardale. If you read the narrative the Bills have been hinting at on their website the past couple of days it seems like he's our starting QB next year. Article up today with Tasker comparing him to Big Ben. The media department is very carefully controlled with what they put out there and I doubt it's an accident. Look at the spin they are already trying to put on the season with these articles: "back to back rushing titles are rare", "another year leading the league on the ground", "Cardale is like Big Ben?"; JM show clips uploaded: "Cardale has freakish arm." They are currently pushing 3 narratives 1- the Bills have an incredible run game; 2 - Everyone should be excited for next season because Ragland will be back and better than ever; 3 - Cardale is the new Roethlisberger.

I sincerely hop no one has ALREADY given up on Cardale. If you read the narrative the Bills have been hinting at on their website the past couple of days it seems like he's our starting QB next year. Article up today with Tasker comparing him to Big Ben. The media department is very carefully controlled with what they put out there and I doubt it's an accident. Look at the spin they are already trying to put on the season with these articles: "back to back rushing titles are rare", "another year leading the league on the ground", "Cardale is like Big Ben?"; JM show clips uploaded: "Cardale has freakish arm." They are currently pushing 3 narratives 1- the Bills have an incredible run game; 2 - Everyone should be excited for next season because Ragland will be back and better than ever; 3 - Cardale is the new Roethlisberger.

Come on man. Not happening. The guy couldn't beat EJ in a competition yet. And the short time he was in during the Jets game showed how "not-ready" Cardale still is. There is nearly zero chance he is starter next year at the beginning of the season.

The only way the Bills do that is if they want to lose badly and Whaley wants to get fired. It would be a miracle if Cardale improved that much over the next 6 months.

Unless he shows substantial improvement in camp and preseason next year, I think Cardale will end up being demoted to practice squad guy or possibly just released from the team altogether.

It is unlikely that a new coach is going to want to hang on to a "very long term project qb" that was brought in before that coach was. Coach will pressure GM to keep a more immediately relevant guy on the roster.

But if Cardale shows enough improvement, he will probably stay on as 3rd string backup assuming the Bills aren't overloaded with QB's heading into next season.

Underneath that happy go lucky demeanor is a pretty good football mind if you pay attention. That's my biggest surprise about him. If he can be "coached up" to pro standards, he just might be a bigger draft steal than Brady. Don't know if that will ever happen but he's turned me around from being negative on drafting him to thinking Whaley just might be on to something.

Underneath that happy go lucky demeanor is a pretty good football mind if you pay attention. That's my biggest surprise about him. If he can be "coached up" to pro standards, he just might be a bigger draft steal than Brady. Don't know if that will ever happen but he's turned me around from being negative on drafting him to thinking Whaley just might be on to something.

Trust me when I tell you there is absolutely nothing wrong with his IQ, football or otherwise. He's as mentally strong as he is physically strong.

He needs support in the film room to understand what he's seeing. This is not unlike most QBs making the college to pro transition. A QB coach who used to play the position and/or a vet/mentor backup QB added to the team would be a big key to his development.

Edited by YoloinOhio

I'm telling you guys, listen to the spin coming from OBD, they are trying to get people pumped about Cardale. If we bring in a veteran it will be an open competition and I don't think it will be a big money guy. This is the same thing that happened with Orton; they brought him in with the intention of being a mentor but it didn't work because EJ was so bad. They are either going to sign a lower tier FA QB and try to start Cardale or else they go for the big splash and try to grab a 1st rd QB, even though Kizer is the best one out there and I don't think he's ready to play right away.