Polian says candidates have reason to be wary of Buffalo

i missed the latest ultimatum story ... which thread is that in?

I'm sorry, Yolo, I can't find it.

Wawrow said something to that regard in the thread on his story - that he thought in 1 year we'd be going through this all over again.

Someone else in a different thread said they'd heard Whaley has 1 year but I don't recall which thread and the "search" function here ain't helpin me out none

• Replies 281
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Thurman's fumble only tied the game. Thurman's sulking on the bench afterwards killed the team psychologically. I've never forgiven him for that.

?? - The Bills won that game, 13-6. (I have that game on a VHS tape, and at halftime I declare victory and get the hell out.)

?? - The Bills won that game, 13-6. (I have that game on a VHS tape, and at halftime I declare victory and get the hell out.)

What's truly crazy is that it could easily have been 17-6 at the half, and the Bills were driving to open the 3rd QTR when the fumble happened.

In my alternate universe they score, go up 24-6 and play with the swagger that made them unstoppable and they win.

What's truly crazy is that it could easily have been 17-6 at the half, and the Bills were driving to open the 3rd QTR when the fumble happened.

In my alternate universe they score, go up 24-6 and play with the swagger that made them unstoppable and they win.

That happens in my alternate universe too!

Ah, the shovel pass game.

Anyway, I'll take 13-6. A win is a win.

Edited by dave mcbride

By all accounts, Whaley is under contract for the next 3 years. I think details of expectations and Whaley's job security would be ironed out during interview process.

Retaining Whaley means that they like the roster at this time. But I think what Polian means is that taking this job means that you need to hit the ground running with this team or it could mean everyone is fired and you are a 1-and-done coach.

There is a very real similar scenario that coaches can look to in the recent past that would make anyone nervous about this job and that is what happened in Miami after Nick Saban quit. The Dolphins had a disappointing season but faced a somewhat unexpected coaching search with a GM that was previously not the main decision maker in the franchise in Randy Mueller.

They hired Cam Cameron, they went 1-15, ownership brought in Bill Parcells as a consultant, and everyone was fired.

In fact, this era in Dolphins front office history is so very similar to this era in Bills front office history. When Saban quit, they did not have anyone in the building that they trusted to lead the organization. Dan Marino and Don Shula had team roles during the coaching search which included Mike Tomlin, Ron Rivera, and Pete Carroll. They interviewed 12 people. Wayne Huzienga, their team President, and the team CEO lead the search with input from Dan Marino(this is after his extremely short run as a FO exec) and Don Shula.

They eventually blew it up and brought in a consultant. People from afar can see that happening here. Maybe it won't happen here. You don't know for sure. Maybe Whaley and Monos are really great at being team architects and find the right guy for the Bills. Maybe they've stumbled on a great find in Anthony Lynn. Maybe it all works out.

I don't know, but that's a lot of maybes. Most likely though, we are here doing this again in a year or two with a new FO.

Great point brought up on Mike and Mike this morning:

Chip Kelly took the SF job with a lame duck GM. With a new GM likely comes a new coach, which is why Kelly got canned after a year.

Whaley is clearly hanging on by a thread. Any coach who comes to Buffalo would be a dead man walking.

This is looking more and more like a tank season coming up.

It might be exactly what we need.

Particularly if Whaley dumps Tyrod.

I don't get the idea behind hiring Lynn because the passing game has been near last running Greg Romans playbook. And that last game, what a disaster!

Particularly if Whaley dumps Tyrod.

I don't get the idea behind hiring Lynn because the passing game has been near last running Greg Romans playbook. And that last game, what a disaster!

Disaster by design. Tank for pick. Please erase it from your memory.

I think Marv declared victory at halftime too and broke out the champagne. The team failed to show up for the second half.

Great point brought up on Mike and Mike this morning:

Chip Kelly took the SF job with a lame duck GM. With a new GM likely comes a new coach, which is why Kelly got canned after a year.

Whaley is clearly hanging on by a thread. Any coach who comes to Buffalo would be a dead man walking.

This is looking more and more like a tank season coming up.

It might be exactly what we need.

Actually, Kelly was let go cuz he sucks. Plain and simple. He's a college coach that was in over his head. Way over.

Oh I loved Marv.

But going to four consecutive Super Bowls and not getting a ring is unacceptable.

Lack of discipline seems to be the Bills way.

Dumbest thing I've read in a while. So it was an undeciplined team fought back to get to the SB 3 more times,even when Kelly went down with a knee injury one of those years? I get the first one, maybe. Bickering Bills and all, but come on. Stop it!

Disaster by design. Tank for pick. Please erase it from your memory.

I do not believe that for a second. They played Shady for gods sake, that should be enough of a clue. They didn't play Taylor because of contract reasons. Lynn didn't want to look like crap. That was no tank for pick. More like phoning it in for most players, particularly the D and EJ Manuel playing.

I just want to know the following?

How can some Bills fans have so much hatred towards a GM that has never had full authority during his time here?

Breaking it down at the basic level, why is everyone going crazy?

Rex was fired. Thats a good thing. Great guy, but it didnt work.

TT not playing the final week and avoiding further injury. Thats a good thing.

EJ showing he doesnt deserve to be on the Bills. Thats a good thing.

TT getting surgery ASAP. Thats a good thing.

im actually feeling pretty good right now and excited to see who we'll hire at HC and how we'll fix the defense. The over-analysis of what people said and what they really meant by it is at an all-time level of insanity on here.

How can some Bills fans have so much hatred towards a GM that has never had full authority during his time here?

im actually feeling pretty good right now and excited to see who we'll hire at HC and how we'll fix the defense. The over-analysis of what people said and what they really meant by it is at an all-time level of insanity on here.

It's 17 years! HAVEN'T YOU HEARD?

I'm curious about the next coach of course, but it's like a draft, we won't know how good it is for a while. At least we now have a structure where we can gauge Whaley and know who to credit or blame. I see mostly positives as far as the trend goes. What happened 17 years ago is irrelevant. Hate Ralph if you want, I'll get excited again for the new Bills.

I don't like his approach to building the roster and using scarce resources like draft picks and cap dollars.

I think Marv declared victory at halftime too and broke out the champagne. The team failed to show up for the second half.

I think that was on Letterman's 10 top list of things marv said at halftime of the game. It was a hilarious list, through the tears.

He's been in Buffalo for 7 years.

No babies shown.

He loved him some EJ.

He was the director of pro personnel when the Bills brought in pro personnel acquisition Kevin Kolb to replace Fitz and be their starting QB and now he's reportedly inclined to move on from Tyrod?

Um yeah my confidence in Mr. Whaley is low.

Edited by #BADOL

He's been in Buffalo for 7 years.

No babies shown.

He loved him some EJ.

He was the director of pro personnel when the Bills brought in pro personnel acquisition Kevin Kolb to replace Fitz and be their starting QB and now he's reportedly inclined to move on from Tyrod?

Um yeah my confidence in Mr. Whaley is low.

Hey, don't forget about Matt Leinhart and Big Bad Thad!