Polian says candidates have reason to be wary of Buffalo

So you guys are saying that these guys are not considered (or would be considered) the top candidates.

Ok, fine.

Jim Harbaugh, Coughlin and Gruden aren't considered NFL HC candidates at this time... top middle or bottom.

However I'm outraged they won't interview with the Bills. Whaley is likely to blame.

Edited by YoloinOhio

• Replies 281
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Jim Harbaugh, Coughlin and Gruden aren't considered NFL HC candidates at this time... top middle or bottom.

However I'm outraged they won't interview with the Bills. Whaley is likely to blame.

As I also have mentioned, I do not believe that Doug Whaley will want to hire anyone other than someone who is beholden to him or may have more cache than he does. That is one reason why I would be surprised if Whaley (as opposed to the Pegulas) puts Coughlin on the list (unless something changes).

Edited by Peter

As I also have mentioned, I do not believe that Doug Whaley will want to hire anyone other than someone who is beholden to him or may have more cache than he does. That is one reason why I would be surprised if Whaley (as opposed to the Pegulas) puts Coughlin on the list.

@viccarucci

Doug Whaley says he is "open to anything" RE #Bills coaching search, including giving up control of 53-man roster.

By the way, it is actually not common for the HC to have control over the 53. If that's what you mean by "beholden"

As I also have mentioned, I do not believe that Doug Whaley will want to hire anyone other than someone who is beholden to him or may have more cache than he does. That is one reason why I would be surprised if Whaley (as opposed to the Pegulas) puts Coughlin on the list (unless something changes).

Peter, I get your point, but I think this whole scenario is just playing out a year early. Unless Rex made the postseason next year, we'd still be here.

I don't think the firing of Rex has much to do with the state of the franchise.

@viccarucci

Doug Whaley says he is "open to anything" RE #Bills coaching search, including giving up control of 53-man roster.

By the way, it is actually not common for the HC to have control over the 53. If that's what you mean by "beholden"

I think I heard Doug Whaley say a hundred times that he had control of the 53 and Rex had control of the 46 . . . at least until it was no longer true.

Peter, I get your point, but I think this whole scenario is just playing out a year early. Unless Rex made the postseason next year, we'd still be here.

I don't think the firing of Rex has much to do with the state of the franchise.

I get where, depending on your perspective regarding Rex, there could be a difference of opinion. I also get that I am one of the guys who has defended Rex.

But try to take Rex out of the equation and pretend that the prior coach's name was Chan McLevy or someone else. I have to believe that it would cause concern to any candidate if the prior guy got less than two years even though he had been the most successful coach of that franchise in the preceding 17 and especially with all of the devastating leaks (whether you believe the emanated from Whaley or not).

I think I heard Doug Whaley say a hundred times that he had control of the 53 and Rex had control of the 46 . . . at least until it was no longer true.

I get where, depending on your perspective regarding Rex, there could be a difference of opinion. I also get that I am one of the guys who has defended Rex.

But try to take Rex out of the equation and pretend that the prior coach's name was Chan McLevy or someone else. I have to believe that it would cause concern to any candidate if the prior guy got less than two years even though he had been the most successful coach of that franchise in the preceding 17 and especially with all of the devastating leaks (whether you believe the emanated from Whaley or not).

Yes, he *did* have control over the 53. That is normal for a GM. Rex never had control over the 53 here or in his last HC job. Only a handful of coaches do. It depends on the coach and Whaley said he is open to it with the next one so nothing is set in stone. However you insist he will only interview coaches who are "beholden" to him ... do you mean control of the 53? If so that was why I commented that he specifically said he's open to the opposite.

We have no idea which coach will demand that. It's not just guys like Coughlin (if he indeed does). Bill O Brien got it as a first time HC.

Some ask "what sense does it make for Whaley to want a lesser coach he can dominate when it's win now or else?"

Well, if Whaley truly thinks he knows the right way to get this done, and just wants someone who will take orders and do those things instead of debating him and fighting him on what he thinks needs to happen, it makes total sense.

Not surprised he said that **** after the Bills fired him after he built them an AFC champion and Super Bowl contender. That was such a stupid Ralph move

Yup. Too bad finding the right coach was his problem, too.

Yup. Too bad finding the right coach was his problem, too.

Not a fan of Marv? I really think the players dropped the ball in those SB years, from their own interviews of partying and doing coke of strippers titties and all that good stuff but I was too young to really know anything at that point. This is all hindsight of me watching old games and yearbook specials on youtube and TV.

Not a fan of Marv? I really think the players dropped the ball in those SB years, from their own interviews of partying and doing coke of strippers titties and all that good stuff but I was too young to really know anything at that point. This is all hindsight of me watching old games and yearbook specials on youtube and TV.

Oh I loved Marv.

But going to four consecutive Super Bowls and not getting a ring is unacceptable.

Lack of discipline seems to be the Bills way.

FWIW, I found this passage to be particularly ironic, coming from the guy who insisted that Curtis Painter was an NFL quality QB (and played him for an entire year, not just one game).

The issue with the quarterback puzzles me,’’ Polian said. “I can understand Tyrod Taylor perhaps had some injury risk playing in that game, but why EJ Manuel? He proved once again that three staffs don’t think he can play; they yanked him from the game and it’s obvious the head coach wasn’t involved in that decision. Now that is troubling, because it’s not the owner making that decision, it’s the general manager and somebody else in the organization, I don’t know who, making that decision.’’

Oh I loved Marv.

But going to four consecutive Super Bowls and not getting a ring is unacceptable.

still incredible to me...4 SB losses in a row...I still have nightmares

Oh I loved Marv.

How do you explain getting to the playoffs all those consecutive years?

Winning the AFC championship 4 consecutive years?

Lack of discipline? I don't think that's the story.

Marv really needed to hire a sports psychologist. Clearly - after the first Super Bowl loss (a game that could have gone either way) - the Super Bowl got into the heads of the players. They tried too hard. They expected something to go wrong. They were too tight...

Polian: all HC candidates need to very wary about the Bills opening. It's so rife with potential pitfalls, I'd like to recommend my good friend, Frank Reich, for the job.

You make a good point.

The inconsistency is funny.

How do you explain getting to the playoffs all those consecutive years?

Winning the AFC championship 4 consecutive years?

Lack of discipline? I don't think that's the story.

Marv really needed to hire a sports psychologist. Clearly - after the first Super Bowl loss (a game that could have gone either way) - the Super Bowl got into the heads of the players. They tried too hard. They expected something to go wrong. They were too tight...

Eh. I think Marv was just overrated, personally.

With that offense and that defense ... to not win ONE RING is pathetic.

Inmates ran the asylum.