Coach search has come (again) who is the best fit?

mead107

• Replies 331
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

After today's press conference . . . enough said.

I work in a profession where the assessment of one's ability (or lackthereof) frequently is made in extreme terms - someone is either brilliant or stupid. So I'm reluctant to use an extreme adjective in assessing Whaley. But he has long seemed like a moron to me. In fact, it stuns me that somebody who sounds so inarticulate and who appears so inept in front of a microphone could have risen to his position. Is there anyone who has met Whaley who cares to comment (and hopefully to correct me)?

I don't think the 2 are related....he could be a good talent evaluator, a good leader/boss but just isn't comfortable with public speaking

To me, the coaching package is much more important to me than just the HC. The coordinators they pick is going to be the deal breaker. For example, if Shanny wants to return a favor and bring his college buddy in as our DC, then his name should be crossed off. Same goes for any candidate. So, don't get your panties in a bunch if your favorite coordinator isn't selected.

In fact, it stuns me that somebody who sounds so inarticulate and who appears so inept in front of a microphone could have risen to his position. Is there anyone who has met Whaley who cares to comment (and hopefully to correct me)?

Sure. Don't confuse articulation with intelligence.

To me, the coaching package is much more important to me than just the HC. The coordinators they pick is going to be the deal breaker. For example, if Shanny wants to return a favor and bring his college buddy in as our DC, then his name should be crossed off. Same goes for any candidate. So, don't get your panties in a bunch if your favorite coordinator isn't selected.

Sure. Don't confuse articulation with intelligence.

Yep. There are some who are not so intelligent people who speak well. Some can't think.

I want a head coach who is not a "defensive genius" or "offensive genius." I want a head coach who is a manager, organizer, strong personality, leader, serious, and flexible. Let the OC and DC do their jobs. I am tired of the idea that Hackett was the OC but he was under Marrone's thumb, Gailey was a HC and OC, Thurman was the DC but he was under Rex's thumb, etc. I also am tired of fitting the players to the scheme instead of fitting the scheme to the players. The idea that the players aren't the right fit so we will have to go through a few off-seasons until we get the players that we want is lazy and not professional.

I want a head coach who is not a "defensive genius" or "offensive genius." I want a head coach who is a manager, organizer, strong personality, leader, serious, and flexible. Let the OC and DC do their jobs. I am tired of the idea that Hackett was the OC but he was under Marrone's thumb, Gailey was a HC and OC, Thurman was the DC but he was under Rex's thumb, etc. I also am tired of fitting the players to the scheme instead of fitting the scheme to the players. The idea that the players aren't the right fit so we will have to go through a few off-seasons until we get the players that we want is lazy and not professional.

Dave Toub is your guy!