HC candidate Josh McDaniels

YoloinOhio

I've seen people say they want him as HC. I don't think he's a viable candidate for the Bills. Good article here on why he can will he will be very selective with where he goes (if he even leaves the evil empire). I don't think this is a team he will interview with. I've mentioned it before, but he was Greg Roman's college roommate and teammate at JCU. I just can't see it.

http://www.csnne.com/new-england-patriots/curran-mcdaniels-should-be-choosy-about-his-next-job

Edited by YoloinOhio

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Yolo,

You are 100%correct. Josh is not going anywhere UNLESS he thinks it is a perfect fit and opportunity for him. He has by far the 2nd most secure job in the NFL and he also knows this would be his second bite at the Apple and if he failed again he prbl wouldn't get a 3rd.

I think LA intrigues him because they have all the pieces on D already along with a young Raw QB a RB who has shown the ability be great. All they really need is coaching and a WR or two.

I've seen people say they want him as HC. I don't think he's a viable candidate for the Bills. Good article here on why he can will he will be very selective with where he goes (if he even leaves the evil empire). I don't think this is a team he will interview with. I've mentioned it before, but he was Greg Roman's college roommate and teammate at JCU. I just can't see it.

http://www.csnne.com/new-england-patriots/curran-mcdaniels-should-be-choosy-about-his-next-job

FWIW, one of his best friends in the world works for the Bills.

FWIW, one of his best friends in the world works for the Bills.

lol that could work against the Bills as well.

Josh: so that Head Coaching job where you work??

Friend: No! Stay far away it's a dumpster fire, place sucks...

Lol friend could bad mouth the team as much as praise it.. it's a turkey shoot there.

For McDaniels IMO the Bills job is less attractive because they turn over HC so quickly. I mean the Bills have a lot of nice pieces on O and D just like LA. Difference is LA Rams shown they have a lot of patience to allow the HC to succeed. (I mean fisher was with them for YEARS and never came close to winning!)

I think McDaniels is he best Head Coaching candidate on the market. But he absolutely has his pick and why would he pick a job where he coaches against Bill and Tom twice a year unless he knows something about them planning to stop soon?

EDIT: and if he knows that would he not prefer to stay on in NE? He would surely be a shoe in for the job if he wanted it?

Edited by GunnerBill

I want nothing to do with Bill Bellichick's minions.

Same as he would probably take the Buffalo Bills money and still do his masters bidding.

I got a kick out of Belichick stating that teams are firing head coaches too soon. Less effort on his part to keep beating up a Rex Ryan team.

lol that could work against the Bills as well.

Josh: so that Head Coaching job where you work??

Friend: No! Stay far away it's a dumpster fire, place sucks...

Lol friend could bad mouth the team as much as praise it.. it's a turkey shoot there.

For McDaniels IMO the Bills job is less attractive because they turn over HC so quickly. I mean the Bills have a lot of nice pieces on O and D just like LA. Difference is LA Rams shown they have a lot of patience to allow the HC to succeed. (I mean fisher was with them for YEARS and never came close to winning!)

That won't be the case. It will be the opposite on that end,

I am not saying that McDaniels will come to the Bills but he will have the information needed.

I think McDaniels is he best Head Coaching candidate on the market. But he absolutely has his pick and why would he pick a job where he coaches against Bill and Tom twice a year unless he knows something about them planning to stop soon?

EDIT: and if he knows that would he not prefer to stay on in NE? He would surely be a shoe in for the job if he wanted it?

Great points Gunner! It's also been talked about a lot up here is that he is very happy with his job right now and the opportunty would have to blow him away for him to move his family again. (One of the reasons he didn't even interview last year was. Because he didn't even want consider a move.)

People think I am crazy when I say McDaniels will not go anywhere without BB blessing. I stand behind that statement still as he respects BB opinion, in regards to football, over everyone else's.

Why does everyone seem to think this guy is so great when he COMPLETELY flopped in his previous attempt and was immediately caught cheating while failing?

I'll tell you my reason. It is because when you leave Bill Belichick's side to cast out on your own and fail that was your risk he moves on and the next hot young thing desperate for an opportunity is up in your place. Bill didn't throw an olive branch to Charlie Weis or Romeo Crennel or Scott Pioli when they went elsewhere and failed even though they were much longer tenured colleagues and trusted associates.

But as soon as he was able he brought McDaniels back. And not in an offseason.... he brought him back in the midst of a playoff run. That tells me he thinks McDaniels is special.

Why does everyone seem to think this guy is so great when he COMPLETELY flopped in his previous attempt and was immediately caught cheating while failing?

I don't think that you ever KNOW that someone will be great regardless of what they did previously. A lot of guys have flopped and been great at their next stop and others were great and terrible at their next stop.

In terms of McDaniels (who is my favorite candidate) he has run one of the most dynamic units in the NFL for years. They won even without Brady this year (but he was my top guy prior). They play with pace, exploit mismatches and are always the most prepared team. He owns that side of the ball. Belicheck just lets him go. He got his first HC job at like 33 or something. He just wasn't ready at that point. He went back, and grew as a coach. He is 40ish now with a dynamite resume and the utmost respect of the top football minds. I think that most people expect him to be great at his next stop. He will have his choice of where to go so he can be picky.

That's my 2 second synopsis on McDaniels. With that being said, I doubt that he picks the Bills. If I were him I would shoot for the Jags job of the ones open. They have a lot of talent but play bad football. He can go there and look like a genius in year one by taking them to 7+ wins.

Edited by Kirby Jackson

He had 28 games! That said he was young and tried to be BB instead of himself in Denver. That just doesn't work, there is only one BB.

Also don't worry I say there is a 30% chance he is hired in Buffalo.

He had 28 games! That said he was young and tried to be BB instead of himself in Denver. That just doesn't work, there is only one BB.

Also don't worry I say there is a 30% chance he is hired in Buffalo.

You'd agree that he is going to be a good HC though right? Did you feel the same way about Crennel and Weis? Just trying to gauge where Pats fans stand.

Thanks for the reasoning guys. I understand some of it but still see him as a risk. In particular he is a known cheater. That stuff gets by in big TV markets like NE as it benefits the NFL. Even in Denver they lit him up and that is a bit of a darling franchise. If this guys is still a dirt bag...and he is with BB so.....he will try to cheat again. He won't get away with it in a small market like Buff or Jax. I think the Rams are where he would want to go.

NE can keep its coaches. I want nothing to do with them.

And their backup QB's. They are only good because they exist in a system. All parts interchangeable. All worthless on their own but as a collective it works. We don't have anything like that here. It's a bunch of clueless people just winging it with no clear direction or plan

Why? He was a disaster with the Broncos. He acted like an entitled brat all his tenure there. He had problems with Cutler and Marshall from the get go, then traded both, He drafted Tim Tebow in the first round to be his franchise QB.

Check this out.

I know people grow up, probably that is the case for Josh McDaniels, but that doesn't make him the best HC candidate out there. Could he become one and be great? Maybe but I don't know if that is written in stone.

I don't think that you ever KNOW that someone will be great regardless of what they did previously. A lot of guys have flopped and been great at their next stop and others were great and terrible at their next stop.

In terms of McDaniels (who is my favorite candidate) he has run one of the most dynamic units in the NFL for years. They won even without Brady this year (but he was my top guy prior). They play with pace, exploit mismatches and are always the most prepared team. He owns that side of the ball. Belicheck just lets him go. He got his first HC job at like 33 or something. He just wasn't ready at that point. He went back, and grew as a coach. He is 40ish now with a dynamite resume and the utmost respect of the top football minds. I think that most people expect him to be great at his next stop. He will have his choice of where to go so he can be picky.

That's my 2 second synopsis on McDaniels. With that being said, I doubt that he picks the Bills. If I were him I would shoot for the Jags job of the ones open. They have a lot of talent but play bad football. He can go there and look like a genius in year won by taking them to 7+ wins.

Excellent post. Also, if failing means winning a playoff game in a coach's first season, the standards here are awfully high -- especially given the Buffalo context. I don't see him coming to Buffalo, however.

While some might agree that McDaniels is the best. I tend to disagree with that by looking back to his time with the Broncos and his inability to get along with Jay Cutler, Brandon Marshall while drafting Tim Tebow.

To me, it's rather easy being the OC for the Patriots with Tom Brady at QB simply because Brady probably goes over the plays he wants to run in a game with the HC and OC. While we might not see it like we did with Peyton Manning. I think Brady is probably more in control of that offense than any fans are aware of. I say this watching him on the sidelines screaming at his linemen, receivers when they don't execute a play perfectly. JMO.

I think the best new head coaching candidate out there is Kyle Shanahan and here is my reasoning. The 2016 Atlanta Falcons have the #1 offense in points and the #2 offense in yards.

In passing, Atlanta is 27th in passing attempts, yet #3 in passing yards, #3 in passing TD's and #6 in INTs. This year Matt Ryan has 4613 yards passing in 15 games with 36 TD's and 7 INTs. Ryan is having an MVP season!

The run game, Atlanta is 12th in rushing attempts, yet #7 in rushing yards, #3 in rushing TD's. Freeman has 983 rushing yards, 10 rushing TD's and Coleman has 476 rushing yards, 8 rushing TD's

The Falcons are currently 10-5 and oddly enough that is because their defense is worse than the Bills with Dan Quinn as HC.

Then there is also this,

http://forums.twobillsdrive.com/topic/191043-kyle-shanahan-for-head-coach-here-is-why/

My top choice. People don't want BB's minions? Might be the dumbest comment ever. Why would the Bills want a guy who works in a winning organization, run extremely well, with a culture of accountability, and who won games his season with a backup QB? Unreal. I'd take Lynn well after I made sure many other guys from winning organizations turned it down.

You'd agree that he is going to be a good HC though right? Did you feel the same way about Crennel and Weis? Just trying to gauge where Pats fans stand.

I honestly thought Romeo would end up being a good HC. I absolutely loved him as the DC and he like Patricia worked miracles at times. I am not sure why he failed.

Weis I personally thought would be an awful HC. And it's apparent so did NFL teams as he never got a pro gig offer.

As for MacDaniels, ya I think he will be successful as a head coach basically because he is not jumping at just ANY opportunity but one that he sees a clear path for success. (Also wouldn't surprise me if he stays in NE as BB will probably retire within the next 5 years.)

I honestly thought Romeo would end up being a good HC. I absolutely loved him as the DC and he like Patricia worked miracles at times. I am not sure why he failed.

Weis I personally thought would be an awful HC. And it's apparent so did NFL teams as he never got a pro gig offer.

As for MacDaniels, ya I think he will be successful as a head coach basically because he is not jumping at just ANY opportunity but one that he sees a clear path for success. (Also wouldn't surprise me if he stays in NE as BB will probably retire within the next 5 years.)

I don't see how he has learned that luxury.

Why? He was a disaster with the Broncos. He acted like an entitled brat all his tenure there. He had problems with Cutler and Marshall from the get go, then traded both, He drafted Tim Tebow in the first round to be his franchise QB.

Check this out.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wiwdHRSBSSg

I know people grow up, probably that is the case for Josh McDaniels, but that doesn't make him the best HC candidate out there. Could he become one and be great? Maybe but I don't know if that is written in stone.

Cutler sucks! And that's been proven over and over. MacDaniels even back then could judge QB talent.

Marshall was a cancer till he finally landed in NY. People forget how he acted everywhere.

The one mistake he made was a poor choice for QB from the draft, Like that's a mistake a ton of people have not made. (How many top 2 picks in the NFL draft have been busts at that position.) also who knows WHAT TeBow could have been if MacDaniels had coached him up for another year or two. (Maybe his accuracy goes to 55%)

If we are going to base our decisions on a young guy's first tenure as a HC let's not forget Belicheck, Carroll, etc...

What happened a decade ago shouldn't be the extent of our thinking. The most recent history is certainly a better indicator.

I don't see how he has learned that luxury.

He has though. The perception around the league is that he can cherry pick his job. He is also in line to be Belicheck's successor.

My top choice. People don't want BB's minions? Might be the dumbest comment ever. Why would the Bills want a guy who works in a winning organization, run extremely well, with a culture of accountability, and who won games his season with a backup QB? Unreal. I'd take Lynn well after I made sure many other guys from winning organizations turned it down.

look at all the ones that ventured out to be a head coach. Where are they now? No thanks

If we are going to base our decisions on a young guy's first tenure as a HC let's not forget Belicheck, Carroll, etc...

What happened a decade ago shouldn't be the extent of our thinking. The most recent history is certainly a better indicator.

He has though. The perception around the league is that he can cherry pick his job. He is also in line to be Belicheck's successor.

Both those two men made the playoffs within a few years and McDaniels destroyed a good offense while trading away the team's star offensive players. Kyle Orton at helped make McDaniels look somewhat legit just like he did for Hackett.

Think about drafting him Tim Tebow a minute...

If we're going the 'scumbag who failed in his first head coaching gig' route, I'd rather have Haley. Seems more like head coaching material. McDaniels strikes me as successful in New England because he will lie, cheat, steal, work 24 hours a day, and basically do whatever Belichick and Brady want with no questions.

I don't trust anyone from the Belichick coaching tree.

Both those two men made the playoffs within a few years and McDaniels destroyed a good offense while trading away the team's star offensive players. Kyle Orton at helped make McDaniels look somewhat legit just like he did for Hackett.

Think about drafting him Tim Tebow a minute...

McDaniels had his team alive until week 17 in his first year and only made it 12 games in year 2 (at age 33 or whatever).

Tebow was a mistake but show me a coach that hasn't made a mistake. I certainly am not scared of the resume of a guy that was 33 and coached 28 games. That book isn't fully written. I believe, like many others, that he will be a great HC. His work with that Pats offense has been brilliant and Brady and Belicheck would agree.

Unfortunately, I can't imagine why he would pick here? I am sure that we will talk to him but I'm not sure that he will be interested. I think that he ends up in LA but should go to Jax. I desperately want what's NEXT (and maybe Kyle Shanahan is that). McDaniels track record is longer but they are kind of similar. Maybe that guy is Anthony Lynn? Or Teryl Austin? I want to be the team that hires the next Adam Gase. Of all of those guys, to me, McDaniels has the best resume.

Edited by Kirby Jackson

This is the stuff that I remember and that makes me not want to go anywhere near the guy. I'm not worried about his being in Belichick's shadow or about his W-L record with the Broncos. I'm sure he has a brilliant football mind, and coaches often grow considerably in their second stints.

However, the emotional immaturity, insecurity, and vindictiveness he showed . . . well let's just say that working on those issues takes a full lifetime, not just a few years back in BB's sheltering arms. It's not impossible that his maturity is considerably improved since then, but I wouldn't bank on it.

Same reason, I want nothing to do with Haley, another great football mind who ran a paranoid, controlling shop in KC from what I remember reading.

A lot of people have been talking about the need for a CEO more than a great tactician. Neither of those two guys fits the bill for me.

I would be happy with Lynn, and am intrigued by Patricia and Toub. But keep the paranoid, thin-skinned, control-freaks off my team.