It would be another disaster to blow it all up.

bobobonators

Another season is over and the playoff drought continues. Despite the overall failure I enjoyed sharing another Bills season with people on this board. I'm definitely not that active during the off season but I still check this site weekly. Regardless of what happens vs. the Jets now, and despite Rex's failures, I truly believe something good came out of his failed tenure here: Lynn and the offense. Yes, Lynn has had a couple (not many, but more than one) of play calls where we all scratched our heads, but overall, despite all of the injures (Wood, Glenn, every single one of our starting WR except for Goodwin really and Shady for a couple of games) this offense has been an unexpected revelation.

With Rex gone now, and Lynn as the interim HC, I'm not sure what's going to happen with Lynn nor am I sure what I want to happen. In an ideal world I'd want Lynn to remain as the OC, and we bring in a HC to right this ship who will be able to work with Lynn. But I fully realize that a new HC is going to want to bring in his own guys.

This is a scary situation b/c it's similar to what happened with Schwartz (you can argue that it was only one really good year, but fact remains it was a really good year). Our defense was rolling under Schwartz while our offense was sputtering. Rex came in and the wheels came off the defense while the offense got on track. Now the role is reversed, and I do not want to see the same thing happen to Lynn's offense that happened to Schwartz's defense. I do not know what the best solution is and that's why I don't get paid millions of dollars to work for the Bills, but somehow, some way, this offensive system needs to be kept intact going forward.

The numbers DO NOT LIE

1. In 2015, under Roman we ranked 12th in the NFL in scoring; and 24th in red zone offense.

2. Since week 2, under Lynn we ranked 6th in the NFL (351pts) and 2nd in the AFC in scoring (above Oakland [347pts] and 1 point below New England [352pts]); overall we rank 7th in the NFL in scoring for 2016 (for the entire season including Roman).

3. Red zone offense (TD's only): We rank 5th in red zone offense; 2nd in the AFC.

4. Points per play (the number of points a team scores for each play they run which gives an estimate as to how efficient a team is at converting their plays into points): We rank 6th in the NFL and 2nd in the AFC only behind Oakland.

5. Touchdowns per game: We rank 3rd in the NFL and #1 in the AFC in touchdowns per game. In other words, we're not racking up points with FG's. This offense scores TD's.

6. Bills are also the #1 Offense in the NFL in "big plays" (rushing plays over 10yds and passing plays over 25yds), with 96 "big plays" this season

7. Turnovers: We are #1 in the NFL with the least amount of turnovers.

(Of note, this offensive production was put up despite having a Defense that ranked 21st in the NFL in takeaways. Every offense ahead of us in scoring pts/game (Atlanta, NO, Oak, Dal, NE, GB) had defenses that had more takeaways than us.)

Folks, this is an ELITE OFFENSE. Whatever the front office decides to do, I'd hate to see this system broken up. Lynn has to stay, somehow, some way. The offense was decent under Roman, but there is no question that Lynn took what was there and improved it considerably.

Keep Lynn, upgrade RT, have a healthy WR corps next year (especially Sammy) with more quality depth, pick up TT's option, and let the good times roll.

The defense and special teams, that's another thread for another day.

Edited by bobobonators

Another season is over and the playoff drought continues. Despite the overall failure I enjoyed sharing another Bills season with people on this board. I'm definitely not that active during the off season but I still check this site weekly. Regardless of what happens vs. the Jets now, and despite Rex's failures, I truly believe something good came out of his failed tenure here: Lynn and the offense. Yes, Lynn has had a couple (not many, but more than one) of play calls where we all scratched our heads, but overall, despite all of the injures (Wood, Glenn, every single one of our starting WR except for Goodwin really and Shady for a couple of games) this offense has been an unexpected revelation.

With Rex gone now, and Lynn as the interim HC, I'm not sure what's going to happen with Lynn nor am I sure what I want to happen. In an ideal world I'd want Lynn to remain as the OC, and we bring in a HC to right this ship who will be able to work with Lynn. But I fully realize that a new HC is going to want to bring in his own guys.

This is a scary situation b/c it's similar to what happened with Schwartz (you can argue that it was only one really good year, but fact remains it was a really good year). Our defense was rolling under Schwartz while our offense was sputtering. Rex came in and the wheels came off the defense while the offense got on track. Now the role is reversed, and I do not want to see the same thing happen to Lynn's offense that happened to Schwartz's defense. I do not know what the best solution is and that's why I don't get paid millions of dollars to work for the Bills, but somehow, some way, this offensive system needs to be kept intact going forward.

The numbers DO NOT LIE

1. In 2015, under Roman we ranked 12th in the NFL in scoring; and 24th in red zone offense.

2. Since week 2, under Lynn we ranked 6th in the NFL (351pts) and 2nd in the AFC in scoring (above Oakland [347pts] and 1 point below New England [352pts]); overall we rank 7th in the NFL in scoring for 2016 (for the entire season including Roman).

3. Red zone offense (TD's only): We rank 5th in red zone offense; 2nd in the AFC.

4. Points per play (the number of points a team scores for each play they run which gives an estimate as to how efficient a team is at converting their plays into points): We rank 6th in the NFL and 2nd in the AFC only behind Oakland.

5. Touchdowns per game: We rank 3rd in the NFL and #1 in the AFC in touchdowns per game. In other words, we're not racking up points with FG's. This offense scores TD's.

6. Turnovers: We are #1 in the NFL with the least amount of turnovers.

(Of note, this offensive production was put up despite having a Defense that ranked 21st in the NFL in takeaways. Every offense ahead of us in scoring pts/game (Atlanta, NO, Oak, Dal, NE, GB) had defenses that had more takeaways than us.)

Folks, this is an ELITE OFFENSE. Whatever the front office decides to do, I'd hate to see this system broken up. Lynn has to stay, somehow, some way. The offense was decent under Roman, but there is no question that Lynn took what was there and improved it considerably.

Keep Lynn, upgrade RT, have a healthy WR corps next year (especially Sammy) with more quality depth, pick up TT's option, and let the good times roll.

AND we missed the playoffs.You forgot the stat that we only beat MOST of the bad teams on our schedule and were outclassed against the good teams.What exactly are you interested in keeping intact????

I'm on board with keeping the offense as is, and focusing on fixing the defense. I do not think the offense is perfect, but it's certainly good enough to win with an average defense.

---

3 and outs, and 2 minute drill are the two biggest problems with the offense, imo.

Edited by Dorkington

AND we missed the playoffs.You forgot the stat that we only beat MOST of the bad teams on our schedule and were outclassed against the good teams.What exactly are you interested in keeping intact????

Points allowed in losses - 13, 37, 28, 41, 31, 38, 27, 34... Thats 30.75 points allowed per game in losses. Which if we had through 15 games, would be dead last in the NFL in points allowed. We gave up 3 200 yard rushers.

Those are staggeringly bad numbers...

Edited by dneveu

He wants to keep the offense intact (for all the above mentioned reasons) and blow up the defense (in another thread discussion). The defense is the real culprit for our failures

The Redskins made the playoffs last year by not beating a single team with a winning record. You play the teams on your schedule.

We missed the playoffs b/c this is a TEAM game, where defense and special teams account for 2/3 of a TEAM.

He wants to keep the offense intact (for all the above mentioned reasons) and blow up the defense (in another thread discussion). The defense is the real culprit for our failures

Indeed. You win a reading comprehension sticker :thumbsup::)

Points allowed in losses - 13, 37, 28, 41, 31, 38, 27, 34... Thats 30.75 points allowed per game in losses. Which if we had through 15 games, would be dead last in the NFL in points allowed. We gave up 3 200 yard rushers.

Those are staggeringly bad numbers...

Yes those are bad numbers.

I also need my offense to step up one time when the defense is having a bad day.

They failed to do that time and time again.

The numbers DO NOT LIE

6. Turnovers: We are #1 in the NFL with the least amount of turnovers.

The Bills' stats got fat off some bad defenses (49ers / Browns / Jets) and posted some numbers in some lopsided games (Pats / Raiders / Steelers). More often than not in our losses the defense couldn't keep the other team off the field, but by the same token we had opportunities against the Seahawks / Dolphins (twice) / Raiders / Ravens where the offense could have either won the game or put the game on ice and failed. To look at the scoring numbers and completely remove any context shows the danger of statistics.

Yes those are bad numbers.

I also need my offense to step up one time when the defense is having a bad day.

They failed to do that time and time again.

This logically just doesn't make sense. If the offense has, since 2015, been top ten in scoring in the NFL, it has stepped up time and time again for 31 games. It has been the defense that has not stepped up time and time again, b/c the defense doesn't have a bad day once in a while, it has a bad game most of the time.

The Chiefs are 14-1 when they score 25 or more points since 2015. We are 9-8. We are nowhere near where we have to be on defense. That is the difference between playoffs and no playoffs.

For a good season you need health. Having Watkins out hurt.

Of their 8 loses, only the NE game at home was a l8sd. The others were loses by 8 pts or less or they had 2nd half multiple score lead.

They win 3 of those 7 games (one being against mia) and they are 10-5 and likely playoff bound with a win if not clinched already.

This 3 games can come down to a play or two made or not executed. Many 9f these buffalo put up points but the defense failed.

There is just a very slim chance for the Bills to retain the same or extremely similar offense for next year. The only way I see that happening is if Lynn stays as OC which is very unlikely.

New coach will want his guys as you mentioned. Therefore it is unlikely that Lynn stays at OC.

If you promote Lynn to Head Coach, then he is going to have to hire an offensive coordinator who will probably want to do things a bit differently than Roman did. Unless they hired Roman back which is even less likely.

So, next year's Buffalo Bills offense will probably look completely different schematically than this years did. But we are used to that with the massive turnover in coaching that happens here.

The Bills' stats got fat off some bad defenses (49ers / Browns / Jets) and posted some numbers in some lopsided games (Pats / Raiders / Steelers). More often than not in our losses the defense couldn't keep the other team off the field, but by the same token we had opportunities against the Seahawks / Dolphins (twice) / Raiders / Ravens where the offense could have either won the game or put the game on ice and failed. To look at the scoring numbers and completely remove any context shows the danger of statistics.

It's been 2 seasons now. Last I check the Patriots, Dolphins, and Jets are in the same division as the Bills and played a very similar schedule.

If you are willing to go through every single team's games and count their garbage time points or running up the score vs "bad teams" I'll gladly do the same for the Bills.

When KC scored 33 points vs Denver and had that stupid pass by Poe at the end of the game to keep piling up points, are you going to subtract that? How about New England scoring 41 vs the Jets? Do those count? How about Washington adding 10 points in a game that was already decided vs the bears. Dallas didn't need to score that last TD either vs the Lions. These are all games this week. Atlanta scored 33 on a bad opponent. Start subtracting!

I'm on board with keeping the offense as is, and focusing on fixing the defense. I do not think the offense is perfect, but it's certainly good enough to win with an average defense.

---

3 and outs, and 2 minute drill are the two biggest problems with the offense, imo.

Overall, I agree, especially about 2 minute drill.

3rd down conversion % we rank 14th in the NFL. Above notable teams like Oakland, Seattle, Kansas City, Baltimore, Giants.

Bills are also the #1 Offense in the NFL in "big plays" (rushing plays over 10yds and passing plays over 25yds), with 96 "big plays" this season.

Can't believe Pegula is dumb enough not to recognize this and that is why I am calling Lynn either the next HC or a VERY HIGHLY paid Offensive Coordinator/Assistant head coach... Maybe to Coughlin??? Hmmm.

Can't believe Pegula is dumb enough not to recognize this and that is why I am calling Lynn either the next HC or a VERY HIGHLY paid Offensive Coordinator/Assistant head coach... Maybe to Coughlin??? Hmmm.

No way this is a blow it all up step! Pegula knows they are close enough that competent coaching could be the difference.

Pretty sure it was the good offense. Don't want to mess with the offense, just fix the defense. Rex had a lousy defense. Did you read this?

Nope. Every decent to good team in the NFL gets to play bad defenses just like we did, Invalid point but valid concern...

Watkins has been close to healthy in only one game this year. Last week. He's still not 100%. This is a completely different offense with him in there. And Tyrod is a different passer. That has been an enormous factor in the last two years.

The guy has had bad luck for his professsional career. It's possible he's one of those tragedies that never really gets healthy. But he wasn't injury prone in college. Julio Jones returned from the same foot injury. If Watkins is healthy this offense can score on anyone. It was remarkably good without him, even if it wasn't great.

Watkins has been close to healthy in only one game this year. Last week. He's still not 100%. This is a completely different offense with him in there. And Tyrod is a different passer. That has been an enormous factor in the last two years.

The guy has had bad luck for his professsional career. It's possible he's one of those tragedies that never really gets healthy. But he wasn't injury prone in college. Julio Jones returned from the same foot injury. If Watkins is healthy this offense can score on anyone. It was remarkably good without him, even if it wasn't great.

Good post! People seem to ignore the fact that Sammy makes a huge difference. Lots of data backing it up.

Good post! People seem to ignore the fact that Sammy makes a huge difference. Lots of data backing it up.

Sammy absolutely makes a huge difference.

NE seems to bounce with the punches every time. No Brady- no problem. No Gradkowski - no problem and on and on. Good coaching. One man a team does not make. TThas done wonders and no one seems to take the whole picture into consideration. He can be a great QB with the right coach..

You missed the fact they scored against everybody except Baltimore but the Defense didn't fare as well. I think that is what the OP meant. 21 points should win most games.

The problem is, is we HAVEN'T BLOWN THE WHOLE THING UP. We keep making minor changes and nothing changes. the whole FO needs to go.

I hear you. I was referring specifically to the coaches. Last time we had a really good thing with Schwartz (say what you want about his success elsewhere, but he succeeded here) and didn't make him a priority. Now we have a really good thing with this offensive system, don't want to see that regress.

In short, I don't want to be a dog chasing its tail for another 20yrs seeing the defense be good with a crap offense and a good offense with a crap defense. We need to build on what already works, and fix what doesn't work at the same time.

I hear you. I was referring specifically to the coaches. Last time we had a really good thing with Schwartz (say what you want about his success elsewhere, but he succeeded here) and didn't make him a priority. Now we have a really good thing with this offensive system, don't want to see that regress.

In short, I don't want to be a dog chasing its tail for another 20yrs seeing the defense be good with a crap offense and a good offense with a crap defense. We need to build on what already works, and fix what doesn't work at the same time.

This will be the 3rd HC Whaley is involved in hiring... Couldn't get a long with the other 2... Third time the charm?

This will be the 3rd HC Whaley is involved in hiring... Couldn't get a long with the other 2... Third time the charm?

I agree that most GM's never get to hire 3 HC for the same team, unless they have a heck of a lot of playoffs and maybe a super bowl in that time frame.