Once Again I Have To Agree With Sully

Rico

100% agree. I'm not sure Whaley's top HC choice would have been Rex. For that I fault him for his lack of backbone, but only a little. If he supports Rex (who apparently gets to draft players...?), he has to go too.

It had been reported that Whaley wanted Hue Jackson as HC. The Pegulas and Russ Brandon were impressed with Rex and made call to go with him.

Imo Rex puts himself on the same level with the players. Wants to be a buddy not their coach. This team lacks discipline and it has cost them numerous games. We are miles away from being a serious playoff team and will never be with him. He is in way over his head.

We haven't really passed on any obvious QB picks. Prescott was rated one QB above Jones last draft. The others are having "so-so" at best seasons.

https://walterfootball.com/draft2016QB.php

he did have to deal with St. Doug and Rex (I'm awesome but my record stinks) Ryan

If Buffalo doesn't trade a 4th round pick to move up for Ragland this year, they have a pick to take Prescott. And they were going to take one this year, so it's very possible that he was their guy. Moreover, why is Buffalo trading 2 4th (the other in 2017) to take an ILB? This is the kind of resource management that hurts the team building process. ILB's not named Kuechly or Wagner aren't worth moving up for. In fact, Whaley acquired Zach Brown who's played fairly well and didn't require losing draft picks for.

Watching the Bills in continuous rebuild mode is the result of being loose with resources. Trading high draft picks when they're so far from contending (2014) is a prime example.

I hope rather than pick Whaley over Rex or vice-versa, TPegs' begins the clean-out now as opposed to wasting another year. A GM who can't identify and acquire a QB in 4 seasons shouldn't get another chance.

If Buffalo doesn't trade a 4th round pick to move up for Ragland this year, they have a pick to take Prescott. And they were going to take one this year, so it's very possible that he was their guy. Moreover, why is Buffalo trading 2 4th (the other in 2017) to take an ILB? This is the kind of resource management that hurts the team building process. ILB's not named Kuechly or Wagner aren't worth moving up for. In fact, Whaley acquired Zach Brown who's played fairly well and didn't require losing draft picks for.

Watching the Bills in continuous rebuild mode is the result of being loose with resources. Trading high draft picks when they're so far from contending (2014) is a prime example.

I hope rather than pick Whaley over Rex or vice-versa, TPegs' begins the clean-out now as opposed to wasting another year. A GM who can't identify and acquire a QB in 4 seasons shouldn't get another chance.

Absolutely, not another chance.

PEGS, DRAIN THE SWAMP!

If Buffalo doesn't trade a 4th round pick to move up for Ragland this year, they have a pick to take Prescott.

A GM who can't identify and acquire a QB in 4 seasons shouldn't get another chance.

In this alternate time line, if they did land Prescott he'd be running the scout team and not active on Sundays right now. He wouldn't have gotten any play time and you'd still be saying that Whaley hadn't done anything to land a QB.

Hell, when he finally got his chance in Buffalo it could have easily gone very differently without the best OL in the league to help him out along with one of the best TE's to ever play the game. Prescott went into the very best situation a rookie could have gone into, the same can't be said if he landed in Buffalo. The situation a player lands in has a lot to do with how he performs.

In this alternate time line, if they did land Prescott he'd be running the scout team and not active on Sundays right now. He wouldn't have gotten any play time and you'd still be saying that Whaley hadn't done anything to land a QB.

Hell, when he finally got his chance in Buffalo it could have easily gone very differently without the best OL in the league to help him out along with one of the best TE's to ever play the game. Prescott went into the very best situation a rookie could have gone into, the same can't be said if he landed in Buffalo. The situation a player lands in has a lot to do with how he performs.

http://buffalonews.com/2016/12/11/ryans-seat-white-hot-bad-loss/

Most of the article is obvious, but this part is dead on:

"I also suspect that Doug Whaley and his personnel people are engaging in a power play against Ryan. One of the national reports on Sunday had an unnamed Bills source saying that Ryan had been given "superior personnel" and not done enough with it.

That sounds like a transparent attempt by the football department to point the finger of blame at Ryan in a crisis. It's true that Ryan hasn't gotten enough out of his team, but Whaley is also culpable for some of his dubious moves as GM -- notably, trading up for Sammy Watkins to support EJ Manuel and whiffing on key draft picks."

BLOW IT UP PEGS!

As Mick Jagger once said, everybody's gotta go.

agree with all of that.

Russ can stay in business side ONLY.

One of the issues with this team is how they share the responsibilities of the roster. Whaley has the 53 and Rex the game day 46, which was the way it's been since the latter was hired. That arrangement naturally can cause issues, notably when EJM was the 3rd QB to being 2015. Not long after, Cassel was traded to make room so EJM would dress.

I say all this because CJ wasn't a ready prospect, and his selection was driven somewhat by this. He wouldn't threaten EJM's roster spot or game-day slot. The very fact a guy like Prescott wouldn't be considered is why the Bills never move forward. They're always in win-now mode and usually have one option for starting QB. When that guy struggles, they're averse to starting someone new, rookie or otherwise.

It's a risk-averse mentality that needs to go away.

If Whaley is executing a power play, what reputable coach would come to replace Rex? Why go to an organization when the GM does not have your back?

It feels a lot like the problem Mike McCoy has created for himself in San Diego. When they lose, McCoy blames the players for poor execution. Whaley blames the coaches for squandering a good roster (an assertion that by itself is damning).

Stand up guys fall on the sword publicly and then settle problems in the locker room. Whaley has acquired his share of paper stallions who do not get it done on the field. He needs to be accountable and indicate they, HE has to do better.

The Pegulas legacy remains to be seen, but they need to create a positive culture in that complex. They are two years in now and have been able to talk to enough people around the league to start asserting what they want in their organization. If this off-season yields business as usual there is little reason to get excited during their ownership either.

Edited by familykwi

We haven't really passed on any obvious QB picks. Prescott was rated one QB above Jones last draft. The others are having "so-so" at best seasons.

https://walterfootball.com/draft2016QB.php

he did have to deal with St. Doug and Rex (I'm awesome but my record stinks) Ryan

Russell Wilson, Kirk Cousins, Derek Carr, Dak Prescott were all available to Whaley to draft and he passed on them. They are all under 6'4". Both QBs Whaley drafted are 6'5".

Maybe Jones plays this season and he shows strong accuracy and good football smarts, but that would exhibit a major leap in his progress. That would redeem Whaley.

If Jones still looks like a project, maybe it's time to turn the team over to a GM who isn't looking to draft the next Big Ben and has the imagination to see the value in a QB who might not be the ideal size, but has other intangibles that bring success in today's NFL.

If Whaley is executing a power play, what reputable coach would come to replace Rex? Why go to an organization when the GM does not have your back?

It feels a lot like the problem Mike McCoy has created for himself in San Diego. When they lose, McCoy blames the players for poor execution. Whaley blames the coaches for squandering a good roster (an assertion that by itself is damning).

Stand up guys fall on the sword publicly and then settle problems in the locker room. Whaley has acquired his share of paper stallions who do not get it done on the field. He needs to be accountable and indicate they, HE has to do better.

The Pegulas legacy remains to be seen, but they need to create a positive culture in that complex. They are two years in now and have been able to talk to enough people around the league to start asserting what they want in their organization. If this off-season yields business as usual there is little reason to get excited during their ownership either.

You know, that's one of the main things that has turned me off on Whaley. Much like Brandon, he's not a stand-up guy at all. So political, always looking to pass the buck, always following whichever way the wind blows, and never accepting responsibility for their failures. I agree, who the hell is going to want to come here into this mess and have to deal with slugs like them?

MAKE THE BILLS GREAT AGAIN & CLEAN HOUSE, PEGS!

http://buffalonews.com/2016/12/11/ryans-seat-white-hot-bad-loss/

Most of the article is obvious, but this part is dead on:

"I also suspect that Doug Whaley and his personnel people are engaging in a power play against Ryan. One of the national reports on Sunday had an unnamed Bills source saying that Ryan had been given "superior personnel" and not done enough with it.

That sounds like a transparent attempt by the football department to point the finger of blame at Ryan in a crisis. It's true that Ryan hasn't gotten enough out of his team, but Whaley is also culpable for some of his dubious moves as GM -- notably, trading up for Sammy Watkins to support EJ Manuel and whiffing on key draft picks."

BLOW IT UP PEGS!

As Mick Jagger once said, everybody's gotta go.

Midnight Rambler ?

You know, that's one of the main things that has turned me off on Whaley. Much like Brandon, he's not a stand-up guy at all. So political, always looking to pass the buck, always following whichever way the wind blows, and never accepting responsibility for their failures. I agree, who the hell is going to want to come here into this mess and have to deal with slugs like them?

MAKE THE BILLS GREAT AGAIN & CLEAN HOUSE, PEGS!

Wonder how Trump would run this team?