Once Again I Have To Agree With Sully

Rico

http://buffalonews.com/2016/12/11/ryans-seat-white-hot-bad-loss/

Most of the article is obvious, but this part is dead on:

"I also suspect that Doug Whaley and his personnel people are engaging in a power play against Ryan. One of the national reports on Sunday had an unnamed Bills source saying that Ryan had been given "superior personnel" and not done enough with it.

That sounds like a transparent attempt by the football department to point the finger of blame at Ryan in a crisis. It's true that Ryan hasn't gotten enough out of his team, but Whaley is also culpable for some of his dubious moves as GM -- notably, trading up for Sammy Watkins to support EJ Manuel and whiffing on key draft picks."

BLOW IT UP PEGS!

As Mick Jagger once said, everybody's gotta go.

Edited by Rico

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Whaley's Achilles heal is his ability to scout and draft QBs. He seems to draft big guys with strong arms that lack accuracy and have a low football IQ.

Meanwhile the emphasis in the league has been on accuracy, quick release, and the ability to read the field. The Bills had a chance to draft many of the up-and-coming young QBs in the league, but Whaley let them pass by. The vast majority of those guys are under 6'4".

You have to wonder if Whaley let them slip by because the didn't fit his view of a prototypical QB.

My opinion of whether Whaley should stay or go depends entirely on if he wanted Rex to be the coach. If that was purely the Pegula's choice I think a GM should get a chance to bring in his personnel choice for HC before he gets the axe.

My opinion of whether Whaley should stay or go depends entirely on if he wanted Rex to be the coach. If that was purely the Pegula's choice I think a GM should get a chance to bring in his personnel choice for HC before he gets the axe.

100% agree. I'm not sure Whaley's top HC choice would have been Rex. For that I fault him for his lack of backbone, but only a little. If he supports Rex (who apparently gets to draft players...?), he has to go too.

"I also suspect that Doug Whaley and his personnel people are engaging in a power play against Ryan. One of the national reports on Sunday had an unnamed Bills source saying that Ryan had been given "superior personnel" and not done enough with it.

That sounds like a transparent attempt by the football department to point the finger of blame at Ryan in a crisis. It's true that Ryan hasn't gotten enough out of his team, but Whaley is also culpable for some of his dubious moves as GM -- notably, trading up for Sammy Watkins to support EJ Manuel and whiffing on key draft picks."

BLOW IT UP PEGS!

Sully just hates Whaley. Whaley has not "blown it" on a lot of draft picks. His last several drafts have been solid. Rex has been AWFUL. I'd keep Lynn and Whaley in any "blowing up."

Whaley's Achilles heal is his ability to scout and draft QBs. He seems to draft big guys with strong arms that lack accuracy and have a low football IQ.

Meanwhile the emphasis in the league has been on accuracy, quick release, and the ability to read the field. The Bills had a chance to draft many of the up-and-coming young QBs in the league, but Whaley let them pass by. The vast majority of those guys are under 6'4".

You have to wonder if Whaley let them slip by because the didn't fit his view of a prototypical QB.

We haven't really passed on any obvious QB picks. Prescott was rated one QB above Jones last draft. The others are having "so-so" at best seasons.

https://walterfootball.com/draft2016QB.php

Whaley is also a repeat offender of infighting over a short period of time

he did have to deal with St. Doug and Rex (I'm awesome but my record stinks) Ryan

100% agree. I'm not sure Whaley's top HC choice would have been Rex. For that I fault him for his lack of backbone, but only a little. If he supports Rex (who apparently gets to draft players...?), he has to go too.

I'm in this camp too. We can talk all we want but if brand new owners wanted Rex, Whaley wasn't going to stop it. The Pegulas know what went on. They will give Whaley a pass if he deserves one and they won't give him one if he doesn't.

And yes Whaley did give Rex superior personnel in a lot of areas. He soon burned it down.

I will fault Whaley for letting Rex run the draft and picking up the marginal Lawson, useless Ragland, and ridiculous Washington. But DW helped fill in those blanks with some good cheap FA pickups.

Rex was given a top 5 D, then Whaley went out and got shady, clay, Harvin, Taylor, and incognito. Keep blaming Whaley.

I don't think there's a lot of Whaley blame for his ability to scout and get talent. It's just that there are other aspects to a GM's role that include winning consistently that he is having the most trouble with.

Remember...It was the Snake Oil Salesman (Russ) who helped with the Rex fire... get him the hell out of here!!!!

BLOW IT UP PEGS!

Midnight rambler -

Rex was given a top 5 D, then Whaley went out and got shady, clay, Harvin, Taylor, and incognito. Keep blaming Whaley.

Draft picks are his downfall

BLOW IT UP PEGS!

Give credit however you wish, but 2 years ago we had a championship quality defense and special teams. The next season we loaded up on offensive talent. I think the GM built a strong team and Rex tore it down.