Bills vs. Steelers History

NFL Week 14 Maps

2psftox.jpg

CBS Broadcast Team
Play-by-Play: Jim Nantz
Color Analysts: Phil Simms
Sideline: Tracy Wolfson

STEELERS KEEP STREAK ALIVE, STIFLE MANNING'S GIANTS

Eli Manning and the Giants offense couldn't establish any rhythm during Sunday's game, unable to keep pace with the Steelers' attack.

ROETHLISBERGER RECAPS WIN OVER THE GIANTS (4:36)

Ben Roethlisberger talks about his performance vs. the Giants..

TOMLIN TALKS WIN OVER THE GIANTS" (4:18)

Coach Mike Tomlin talked after the Steelers' 24-14 win over the Giants..

Edited by 26CornerBlitz

• Replies 205
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This game is our season, and could be a pivotal moment for Rex and Tyrod, so it will be interesting to see how each rebounds from the implosion in Oakland.

If we win out, our playoff chances are actually really good, and we need very little help. The hardest of our final games is this Sunday, so if we win this one it is very conceivable to win each of the other three. When we were 6-5 and looking at 10-6 and the playoffs, the hardest game and the most likely loss was Oakland, so the result of this weekend isn't what hurts us as much as it is the implosion and potential blow to confidence and momentum.

But the reality of it is, the Steelers are a better team, playing outstanding football with a three game winning streak and a tough division race to finish up, and I think we are going to see a much better performance out of them than we saw out of the Raiders (who were poised for a trap game riding high and looking ahead to Thursday with the Chiefs). I don't like what Ben and Brown might do to us the way our secondary has been playing.

Find a way to 7 and 6 with a win, and things aren't so bad.

But the storm clouds are still darkening as Rex hasn't kept up with the last decade of football and his teams continue to underperform their defensive talent and the excuses run thin.

And Tyrod brings excitement and fun, but continues to seem to be missing consistency and vision and just hasn't progressed in those areas this season, and leaves open receivers on the table game in and game out, and still fails to ever throw a medium range pass in the middle of the field. He has had his time to develop, and over these last four games the burden is on him. If he can't show some serious progress in these four games he becomes a stop gap contender fighting with Romo and whoever might be available to be the 2017 starter while we look for our next option elsewhere. The receiver injuries change the options on the field at each play, but his failure is to see the receivers running routes on each play, and accurately throw to the best choice, and that breakdown is completely independent of who is running those routes.

Hoping they show something to push the balance back, but I'm 60/40 against Rex and Tyrod right now and think that could tip severely after Sunday.

Edit: And I'm not remotely suggesting it will happen, but if we lose to the Steelers and win out for 9-7, the only "upset" help we need is the Bengals to beat the Ravens at home in week 17, which means regardless of what happens Sunday, if we then crush the Browns as expected, we host Miami for meaningful football on Christmas Eve.

Edited by Koufax

God I hate being that guy but the second poster is right- if the Bills win out, they would very much more likely than not make the playoffs. I didn't believe him, so I spent about 15 minutes looking at other teams' schedules, tiebreakers, etc. If they can find a way to win on Sunday, they would actually be sitting in a pretty good position.

God I hate being that guy but the second poster is right- if the Bills win out, they would very much more likely than not make the playoffs. I didn't believe him, so I spent about 15 minutes looking at other teams' schedules, tiebreakers, etc. If they can find a way to win on Sunday, they would actually be sitting in a pretty good position.

Yes, the team that would have screwed us was KC and they appear to be going for the division or the first wildcard. If we win this weekend, and that is a big if we do sit well. Cleveland after that and Miami would be another big game.

If we lose to Pittsburgh this weekend, I think the team will know they are out of it and we could lose to Cleveland.

Bills win, 34-28. Darby back makes a difference.

Haters gonna hate, but we don't suck. We don't have the back-end to stop a premier passing team (which will be a problem with Pitt for sure), and our offense is very scheme-oriented and not suited to playing from behind. Weaknesses yes, but I don't get all the hand-wringing, hating and despair. I expected to lose at Oakland, they are very good. I was shocked when we were up 24-9. And not shocked when Carr brought them back - as has been his history. We are not that far from beating teams like Seattle and Oakland on the road - that is a big deal. If we had a healthy Woods and Watkins I think those games both could have come out differently. Throwing to Glass, Hunter, Tate and a gimpy out-of-sync Sammy is not exactly giving Taylor his best chance. Don't mean that as excuse making, certainly Tyrod could do more, for sure. People are so quick to declare that he sucks though; I have watched numerous sucky quarterbacks for us, and Tyrod is miles from some of those guys. He ain't Machine Gun Kelly either, I get it.

BTW - what about trying Robey-Coleman at free safety on obvious passing downs and move Graham to strong. Granted, he gets abused by tall tight-ends sometimes. Let Seymour take that gig. But I think Robey-Coleman has the vision and closing speed to play free. He is an athlete and he has hops if the play is in front of him. Does the board think his height makes that out of the question? I think he could be a ball-hawk on the back end of a kind we have not had since foot-man left for the Aints.

One other thing about Robey-Coleman. Dude is a baller. For a little guy, he hits like a truck. Put him in back where he can see the play develop and draw a bead on the ball and on receivers.

Bills win, 34-28. Darby back makes a difference.

Haters gonna hate, but we don't suck. We don't have the back-end to stop a premier passing team (which will be a problem with Pitt for sure), and our offense is very scheme-oriented and not suited to playing from behind. Weaknesses yes, but I don't get all the hand-wringing, hating and despair. I expected to lose at Oakland, they are very good. I was shocked when we were up 24-9. And not shocked when Carr brought them back - as has been his history. We are not that far from beating teams like Seattle and Oakland on the road - that is a big deal. If we had a healthy Woods and Watkins I think those games both could have come out differently. Throwing to Glass, Hunter, Tate and a gimpy out-of-sync Sammy is not exactly giving Taylor his best chance. Don't mean that as excuse making, certainly Tyrod could do more, for sure. People are so quick to declare that he sucks though; I have watched numerous sucky quarterbacks for us, and Tyrod is miles from some of those guys. He ain't Machine Gun Kelly either, I get it.

BTW - what about trying Robey-Coleman at free safety on obvious passing downs and move Graham to strong. Granted, he gets abused by tall tight-ends sometimes. Let Seymour take that gig. But I think Robey-Coleman has the vision and closing speed to play free. He is an athlete and he has hops if the play is in front of him. Does the board think his height makes that out of the question? I think he could be a ball-hawk on the back end of a kind we have not had since foot-man left for the Aints.

One other thing about Robey-Coleman. Dude is a baller. For a little guy, he hits like a truck. Put him in back where he can see the play develop and draw a bead on the ball and on receivers.

Lol lay off the whiskey DTs setting in

The Bills are going to get stomped in this game. I'm expecting sideline implosions - players screaming at each other and possibly a coaches' shoving match or two.

I would like to disagree with you, but I think the team is shell shocked by what happened in Oakland, and it would seem unlikely they will be able to muster the confidence and cohesion they will need to play at a high level this week. Could be wrong of course. Rex may be able to motivate them this week, but it would be a tall order.

The Bills are going to get stomped in this game. I'm expecting sideline implosions - players screaming at each other and possibly a coaches' shoving match or two.

That'd be more entertaining than the last game.

If at the very beginning of the season you told me we had to beat one of OAK and PIT, split with MIA and NY and beat CLE to get in, I'd take it. I know its not a sure thing to get in at 10-6 but it looks more than possible.

This team is flawed, but they all are. Tyrod has deficiencies, so does the D. Lets get in anyway!

Tomlin's 3 takes hit on Ben, Deebo & more

A look at 3 hot topics Coach Mike Tomlin is talking about.

A thinking man: Ross Cockrell continues to impress in the secondary, taking on a tough assignment each week, from covering the likes of Odell Beckham Jr. to A.J. Green. It’s a task he hasn’t minded, especially in a young secondary that includes rookie cornerback Artie Burns, and Tomlin isn’t surprised by his success.

“We really liked him in the draft, liked his skill set,” said Tomlin. “Liked his approach to play. Thought he had a very cerebral game and that has proven to be true. We are thankful he was available to us. He has been a consistent performer for us and one that has been consistently on the rise. We have challenged him in ways that maybe aren’t fair to him. Oftentimes we treat him as a much more seasoned player than he is in what we ask him to do. He has a great attitude in terms of accepting those challenges and equally important his play has been solid.”

Tomlin's 3 takes hit on Ben, Deebo & more

A thinking man: Ross Cockrell continues to impress in the secondary, taking on a tough assignment each week, from covering the likes of Odell Beckham Jr. to A.J. Green. It’s a task he hasn’t minded, especially in a young secondary that includes rookie cornerback Artie Burns, and Tomlin isn’t surprised by his success.

“We really liked him in the draft, liked his skill set,” said Tomlin. “Liked his approach to play. Thought he had a very cerebral game and that has proven to be true. We are thankful he was available to us. He has been a consistent performer for us and one that has been consistently on the rise. We have challenged him in ways that maybe aren’t fair to him. Oftentimes we treat him as a much more seasoned player than he is in what we ask him to do. He has a great attitude in terms of accepting those challenges and equally important his play has been solid.”

I forget - what was the story of how he moved on from the Bills (or how the Bills moved on from him)

I forget - what was the story of how he moved on from the Bills (or how the Bills moved on from him)

I want to say he last a season but then missed the 53 the next

Rex should be coaching for his job this game. Or at least his scheme.

I don't think either is the case.... his boss said he believes in continuity and no owner who is a rational businessman starts telling his football guy how to do X's and O's.

I'm thinking 8-8 this year and 7-9 to 8-8 the next. Then he might be in the hot seat.

Please tell me why I should care. Season is over. All the coaches and GM would do is to make excuses. There are so many things that are wrong with this team. But I don't expect them to change next year because upper management people are getting in the way of change. Hopeful the Pegulas are smart enough to correct the situation. Whaley should be a football scout. Rex should ne a coordinator. Tyrod should be a backup QB. But in this twisted reality we are in, they become in the position they are in. We feel so powerless. As fans, week after week we have to watch what they put on the field. What kind of losers are we to think it is ok to be bad? Why are we doing these game preparation thing for these meaningless games. Don't we have better things to do?

Bills Today: Shaq Lawson to start Sunday

bills-today-12-7-story.jpg

Bills top draft choice Shaq Lawson will make his first NFL start in his sixth NFL game against the Steelers Sunday.

Shaq Lawson: "I feel great in this defense" (11:15)
Bills first round draft pick Shaq Lawson sat down with the John Murphy Show on the players' day off to give us an update on his first six games. He talked about his surgery and rehab, playing in his first game and getting more snaps.

@viccarucci

Here are my five takes on #Bills-#Steelers. At [bN] Blitz: https://t.co/1kzrFcH6p1

Here are my five takes on the Buffalo Bills' game against the Pittsburgh Steelers Sunday at New Era Field:

1. Marcell Dareus and Kyle Williams must be dominant in the middle of the defense.

2. The secondary has to play well for an entire game.

3. The pass rush needs to get home.

4. LeSean McCoy has to carry the offense once again.

5. Tyrod Taylor can't have another meltdown.