What if we finish 10-6?

BmarvB

Exactly.

I like how some Bills fans think this is CFB. Like the Bills vs the Jags is Alabama vs Vanderbilt. Get over yourselves. IF the Bills finish 10-6 it is a huge step in the right direction. It would show progress and show that Rex and Whaley have things moving in the right direction.

You ask anyone who has ever played the game at the NFL level and they will all say the same thing. The level of talent from the best roster to the worst is very slim.

Sure it would just like the 9-7 Marrone season such a huge step in the right direction. Oooo wait never mind

• Replies 174
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Winning 5 of the last 6 games is possible even if it may not be probable. But if they do it, finish 10-6, and still don't make the playoffs, how many of you would consider it a successful season, and how many would kick dirt on them and scream for some heads to roll and players be sent on their merry little way?

10-6 would be a good year to me. That's where I thought that they could be. That gets you into the playoffs 87% of the time. I would have signed up for that on opening day (especially as much as they have played without Watkins and Dareus). I was expecting a HUGE year from Watkins.

With that said 9-7 still feels more likely to me.

This is the same sh*t we hear every year. This year is no different than most of the other years during the decades of ineptitude. The Bills hover around .500 and finish within a game or two of it.

In terms of results, absolutely no progress is being made. Zero. None. Zilch. SOS. Unless a dramatic turnaround is made in the next 6 games the Bills will finish with a very Billsy record yet there will be people out there trying to sell us on the positives. These are the same people that have sold us this tainted merchandise for the past 16 years and get upset at their fellow fans when they don't want to buy it.

Whilst I understand and share some of that frustration, it isn't true that we are making no progress. We endured NINE losing seasons in a row. If we make it a third consecutive year at 8-8 or better then that is progress, albeit if you are still outside of the play-offs looking in I accept it doesn't feel much like it. But I have said before - culture change is really hard where people are institutionalised losers. Getting the ingrained losing out of people is hard. If we go 8-8 or better this year all of a sudden we will have a significant chunk of the players on this roster that have never been through a losing season here. Slowly but surely that "expecting to lose" dissipates. Now I accept that if we go 9-7, 8-8, 8-8 and then say 6-10 next year it is all for nought... but getting this place away from expecting to lose is hard.

I've said before I took on a semi-pro soccer team over here that used to lose all the time, I could sense it as soon as I got there.... it had become a place where the players thought it was okay to lose. Took me 3 years to get rid of that expectation and we got a bit better each year slowly but surely, however after my 3rd year if I had said "we are going to compete for the Championship next season" I'd have been laughed at. We did though... we were runners up by 1 point. I'd changed the culture but there had been some horrible days on route. We lost a game 8-1 in the middle of my second season and I nearly gave up on it.

I appreciate this is all a bit rambling... but my point is sometimes when a team has been bad for so long they just expect to be bad. Whilst the expectations I had of the Bills team last year were higher than 8-8 (and this year were right about that mark) we shouldn't underestimate the value of 8-8 or 9-7 again even if it does stretch the drought to 17 years. I don't think when you have been through the prolonged period of awfulness that the Bills have you are going to bounce from say a 5 or 6 win season right to a double figure win season and into the play-offs like some teams who just have down years (like Dallas last year for example) can do.

We beat too many NFC teams to make the playoffs

. I would gladly give up the Rams, AZ and SAN Fran wins for a win against Balt, Jets and Phins.

Then at 5-5 I would feel a hell of a lot better than I do right now

Or heck maybe keeping the NFC wins and beating the teams we should have beat like Balt, Jets and Phins

Edited by MAJBobby

Exactly.

I like how some Bills fans think this is CFB. Like the Bills vs the Jags is Alabama vs Vanderbilt. Get over yourselves. IF the Bills finish 10-6 it is a huge step in the right direction. It would show progress and show that Rex and Whaley have things moving in the right direction.

You ask anyone who has ever played the game at the NFL level and they will all say the same thing. The level of talent from the best roster to the worst is very slim.

Agreed, Huge step. 10 wins and there are no easy wins. Balt just because it was 6 points doesn't mean we win next time. The jets were healthy and we played poorly on D. Miami, games like that happen momentum shifts quickly. Our D ran out of gas. I'll take 10 wins. Let us get there before we all start bitching that it doesn't mean anything.

Going 4-2 down the stretch would be awesome. That's a 9-7 record which may get us in. We would have a 6-6 AFC record. I can see 4 teams ahead of us tanking; KC, Baltimore, Houston, Miami.

New England, Oakland, Pittsburgh, Indy, Denver, Buffalo.

Does anyone here think that Baltimore, Houston, Miami & KC are better than us?

When the Bills are healthy they can play with anyone....and I mean anyone

keep the faith my friends

I also believe this, good point Dr. House.

That said, we are never healthy and sometimes just b/c we can play good we decide not to anyway, but we can play damn good. We all know that. We never used to have these kind of discussions--at least not seriously.

Winning 5 of the last 6 games is possible even if it may not be probable. But if they do it, finish 10-6, and still don't make the playoffs, how many of you would consider it a successful season, and how many would kick dirt on them and scream for some heads to roll and players be sent on their merry little way?

They still need to find a QB

Sure it would just like the 9-7 Marrone season such a huge step in the right direction. Oooo wait never mind

Not really. Kyle Orton was the QB on the tail end of his career. You got pretty much all you could out of that team.

This team does not resemble that team in a lot of ways. If you can't see that I value your opinion a little less. You have good points at times besides your Anti TT crusade.

The Bills could win 10 games with two top 5 picks missing at least half of a season and another 2 1st round picks missing 6 games plus. How many other teams can replace that production? In the salary cap era there are only so many "star" type players on each team. The Bills have missed 2 of their top 3 talents for half of the year. If they get to 10 wins with that being the case I don't know how we could look at it any way but positively?

Edited by Kirby Jackson

The Bills could win 10 games with two top 5 picks missing at least half of a season and another 2 1st round picks missing 6 games. How many other teams can replace that production? In the salary cap era there are only so many "star" type players on each team. The Bills have missed 2 of their top 3 talents for half of the year. If they get to 10 wins with that being the case I don't know how we could look at it any way but positively?

Kirby

Your seeing it...just look at the board...people ARE finding a way

I would consider it a successful season. You can't control what other teams do, particularly those that aren't in your division. 10-6 with a strong positive point differential would clearly mean "playoff quality team." Having said that, I don't really expect it to happen ....