What if we finish 10-6?

BmarvB

• Replies 174
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thank you Ryan for cleary communicating what I am struggling to do.

No you are struggling thinking b.c a number is bigger it means success... In reality playoffs mean success of the regular season. Every season is different and you trying to lump two together doesn't work.

No you are struggling thinking b.c a number is bigger it means success... In reality playoffs mean success of the regular season. Every season is different and you trying to lump two together doesn't work.

In 2010 the 10-6 Buccaneers missed the playoffs while the 7-9 Seahawks made it in and Marshawn made the beastmode quake to eliminate the 11-5 Saints.

You're right. The Seahawks did what they needed to do at 7-9.

Edited by Ryan L Billz

Those 7-9 Seahawks that beat the saints were a great success.

They made it to the playoffs and beat the Saints in the playoffs... Then won the Super Bowl a few Years later. They took care of the division to get there. You might not like it but that is the way it is set up. We are talking about WC though Ryan get back on track.

Edited by Beef Jerky

If we go 10-6, then Tyrod's record would be 18-12. Not bad for a young QB with only two years of starting exp and a depleted WR corp. Sign me up!

If you find a flaw in that then I won't argue with you cuz I'd be wasting both our times.

If we go 10-6, then Tyrod's record would be 18-12. Not bad for a young QB with only two years of starting exp and a depleted WR corp. Sign me up!

If you find a flaw in that then I won't argue with you cuz I'd be wasting both our times.

Yea it would be good for him but no one is talking about that right now.

I'm not struggling with a number. A team cannot control the number that gets you into the playoffs. The rest of the league impacts that. You can only control the games that your team plays. If you get to 10 wins and don't get into the playoffs you have done a better job in the regular season than if you win 9 games (or 8) and get a WC.

That is exactly why you can't judge a season solely on "playoffs or bust" (and I said that well before this season). You win your games and hope that the odds hold true. The 2008 Patriots were 11-5 and didn't get in. It happens but you still need to win your games to put yourself in position.

I'm not struggling with a number. A team cannot control the number that gets you into the playoffs. The rest of the league impacts that. You can only control the games that your team plays. If you get to 10 wins and don't get into the playoffs you have done a better job in the regular season than if you win 9 games (or 8) and get a WC.

That is exactly why you can't judge a season solely on "playoffs or bust" (and I said that well before this season). You win your games and hope that the odds hold true. The 2008 Patriots were 11-5 and didn't get in. It happens but you still need to win your games to put yourself in position.

Yes and the Patriots didn't look at 11-5 as a successful season. That is what is being talked about. Edited by Beef Jerky

They made it to the playoffs and beat the Saints in the playoffs... Then won the Super Bowl a few Years later. They took care of the division to get there. You might not like it but that is the way it is set up. We are talking about WC though Ryan get back on track.

They HOSTED a team that won 4 more games than they did in the regular season. I am guessing that you think that makes sense?

Yes and the Patriots didn't look at 11-5 as a successful season. That is what is being talked about.

So just to be clear the 8-8 Chargers were better in 2008 than the 11-5 Patriots?

Again, I wrote a long post to prove my point above.

Now, I only have to write sentence: If we go 10-6 we make the playoffs, full stop.

That is because other teams, who haven't played each other, do so in a zero-sum fashion. There are no extra-NFL wins to be had. No. ALL of the probable playoff teams in the AFC have mostly other probable playoff teams on their remaining schedule. The currently 7-3 AFC West has to play each other. Each team down from that has at least 3 current playoff contenders on their remaining schedule, if not 4 or 5.

So, the real question is: what happens if the Bills go 9-7, because the 10-6 argument is moot, as I have already demonstrated.

And yes, winning the division games do matter: look at the AFC West. Their actual season, having already padded their records with NFC and AFC South(crap) wins, hasn't even started yet.

Edited by OCinBuffalo

Okay, with TT out of discussion, 10-6 is successful. We can't control the fact that Tom Brady & Bill Belichick are in our division. We can only hope that 10 wins, or even 11, gets its in. Then there's now doubt about this campaign.

FTR, 9-7 would be a disappointment. Too many injuries to key players. We should be a .500 team and 5-5 is expected. 4-2 down the stretch, finally with a healthy roster, against bad teams, would be a failure. 10-6 would be successful.

There. No TT. 😁

The argument was 10-6 no playoffs vs 9-7 playoffs. See you can't even get the argument correct. The talk is about WC.

There is no argument about 10-6. If we get there we are 95% to make the playoffs.

The only argument is 9-7. That is tougher, because perhaps a lot of teams are going to end up there, and since the AFC West got to play the South this year, they are going to have more conference wins. The best we can do today is 3-3 in the division, so, 9-7 is a very tough get.

However, 10-6 is a very probable playoff spot this year. I already showed that above.

Edited by OCinBuffalo

Sorry. I'm using real scenarios.

The 2010 bucs at 10-6 missed out and the 7-9 Seahawks got in.

So you're saying the 7-9 Seahawks don't apply to whatever argument you are having?

They won their division... Nothing you can do about that. We are talking about WC 9-7 making the playoffs vs WC 10-6 not making the playoffs.

Every coach talks about two things "Winning your division" first, then "Winning enough games for the WC" second.

Edited by Beef Jerky