What if we finish 10-6?

BmarvB

They won their division... Nothing you can do about that. We are talking about WC 9-7 making the playoffs vs WC 10-6 not making the playoffs.

Every coach talks about two things "Winning your division" first, then "Winning enough games for the WC" second.

The Seahawks did that right while losing 9 games.

Takin care of business !

• Replies 174
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Winning 5 of the last 6 games is possible even if it may not be probable. But if they do it, finish 10-6, and still don't make the playoffs, how many of you would consider it a successful season, and how many would kick dirt on them and scream for some heads to roll and players be sent on their merry little way?

would be awesome. truly awesome. I take it all day and all night. Playoffs or not. Solid season, despite another bow wave of suspensions, serious injuries to key players. Progress. It would mean we pretty much ran the table but couldn't quite get out of Oakland. and we found a QB. and a defense.

Playing away to Seattle and Oakland this year was just cruel scheduling. But we will see. If we stay healthy and Sammy and Woods are back 100% after the Raiders loss , I can see 10-6. I can. This team is built to run and stop the run (with Dareus back). Built for December football. go bills.

Edited by 8and8-->NoMore

I just spent 5 minutes with this thing: http://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2016/upshot/buffalo-bills-nfl-playoff-picture.html

IF all goes as expected(meaning the Pats beat everybody but Denver at home, etc.), we could lose 1 game to either the Jets, Browns, or Jags, and still have a 99% chance to make the playoffs. This is because even if you switch it to the Broncos, losing 0, 1 or 2 to the Chiefs, the outcome stays the same. This, again, is because the Raiders have to play them.

Go ahead and make your initial picks, then, see how little effect changing them has. The effect of beating the Steelers, Dophins, and Raiders...makes losing one game to the Jets, Jags, or Browns irrelevant.

So, correction: 10-6, provided that one loss is the the last three teams, produces a result of 99% to make the playoffs.

Edited by OCinBuffalo

They won their division... Nothing you can do about that. We are talking about WC 9-7 making the playoffs vs WC 10-6 not making the playoffs.

Every coach talks about two things "Winning your division" first, then "Winning enough games for the WC" second.

So the 7-9 Seahawks were better than the 10-6 Bucs and the 8-8 Chargers more deserving than the 11-5 Pats based on this: http://forums.twobillsdrive.com/topic/190128-what-if-we-finish-10-6/?p=4134177

Edited by Kirby Jackson

WC? No team has ever made the WC at 7-9 or 8-8

53320972.jpg

I know that I am "not the smartest person" here but I know BS when I see it. The 1999 Lions, 1991 Jets, 1990 Saints, 2004 Rams, 2006 Giants and 2004 Vikings were all 8-8 wild card teams. Carry on though...

Edited by Kirby Jackson

I just spent 5 minutes with this thing: http://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2016/upshot/buffalo-bills-nfl-playoff-picture.html

IF all goes as expected(meaning the Pats beat everybody but Denver at home, etc.), we could lose 1 game to either the Jets, Browns, or Jags, and still have a 99% chance to make the playoffs. This is because even if you switch it to the Broncos, losing 0, 1 or 2 to the Chiefs, the outcome stays the same. This, again, is because the Raiders have to play them.

Go ahead and make your initial picks, then, see how little effect changing them has. The effect of beating the Steelers, Dophins, and Raiders...makes losing one game to the Jets, Jags, or Browns irrelevant.

So, correction: 10-6, provided that one loss is the the last three teams, produces a result of 99% to make the playoffs.

Our worse case 10-6 scenario is KC is tied with us at 10-6, they do have a better conference record.

Lets assume our 10-6 is we lose to Oakland and beat everyone else.

Denver goes 3-3 and goes 10-6 we would tie them for the last spot assuming KC goes 11-5. Not sure how the tie break goes after conference record but we would have same conference record as Denver in this case. We would have beat Pitt so they should be gone by then and Miami also, but if it is a big logjam at 10-6 who knows.

Our worse case 10-6 scenario is KC is tied with us at 10-6, they do have a better conference record.

Lets assume our 10-6 is we lose to Oakland and beat everyone else.

Denver goes 3-3 and goes 10-6 we would tie them for the last spot assuming KC goes 11-5. Not sure how the tie break goes after conference record but we would have same conference record as Denver in this case. We would have beat Pitt so they should be gone by then and Miami also, but if it is a big logjam at 10-6 who knows.

I said if all goes as expected. Clearly, nobody is expecting the Pats to lose out. I went through each game in the AFC and made a reasonable pick. Sure, there are bound to be exceptions. Actually, from the same site, there are 40 quadrillion outcomes(or...a high number) that are still possible.

Except Cleveland. The point is: there's a very good chance that the AFC North Teams will produce only 1 playoff team, and since the AFC West has yet to play itself, there are inevitable losses. Somebody has to lose/tie, which means us being in striking distance is a mathematical certainty, and us being able to pass them is a probability, provided we chop up the teams on our 2nd easiest remaining schedule.

Edited by OCinBuffalo

I said if all goes as expected. Clearly, nobody is expecting the Pats to lose out. I went through each game in the AFC and made a reasonable pick. Sure, there are bound to be exceptions. Actually, from the same site, there are 40 quadrillion outcomes(or...a high number) that are still possible.

Except Cleveland. The point is: there's a very good chance that the AFC North Teams will produce only 1 playoff team, and since the AFC West has yet to play itself, there are inevitable losses. Somebody has to lose/tie, which means us being in striking distance is a mathematical certainty, and us being able to pass them is a probability, provided we chop up the teams on our 2nd easiest remaining schedule.

I think I am agreeing with you. Tied with KC is our worse case. Note sure if say KC, Denver, Pitt, Miami and Buffalo are all 10-6 what happens.

I think I am agreeing with you. Tied with KC is our worse case. Note sure if say KC, Denver, Pitt, Miami and Buffalo are all 10-6 what happens.

I hope that we get all of the way to the coin toss tiebreaker. There is no better way to determine if the season was a success or failure than a good old flip of the coin. :)

Success is measured by if you make the playoffs or not, especially if your team has not played in the playoffs in 16 years. 10-6 with no playoff birth is garbage. I scream my head off!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Not for me man. Success is if I have fun watching my team on Sunday for 16 games. If they're interesting enough to keep looking forward to the games, and enjoyable to follow on sites like this.

Playoffs are great, but icing on the cake. Bengals make it every year and lose first game for 5 years straight now. It's about the RIDE man....

Not for me man. Success is if I have fun watching my team on Sunday for 16 games. If they're interesting enough to keep looking forward to the games, and enjoyable to follow on sites like this.

Playoffs are great, but icing on the cake. Bengals make it every year and lose first game for 5 years straight now. It's about the RIDE man....

Well put.

Listen, we all know that the He-Man Realists will find a way to be gloomy. It's what they do.

Winning season? Bah, didn't make the playoffs!

Make playoffs? Bah, lost in first round!

Get to Championship game? Bah, didn't win the big one!

Lose Super Bowl? Bah, same old, same old!

Win Super Bowl? Bah, bet they can't repeat!

Anything other than a Superbowl victory is a failure of a season, imo.

So the Bills have been a failure every season of their existence? Why bother following a team that has been a failure for 50+ years?

To the OP, 10-6 would be an indication that the team is going in the right direction. But watching the games so far, it is glaringly obvious that they have a very long way to go still.

Edited by CodeMonkey

10-6 would be a pretty strong season and a strong finish that would give optimism to 2017. I would not hang the Bills for finishing 6-1 and missing the playoffs.

I have said it before though, every year, I become more disdainful of and bored with the current NFL alignment. People 'think' it is a perfect balance, but it certainly is not balanced.

10-6 would be a pretty strong season and a strong finish that would give optimism to 2017. I would not hang the Bills for finishing 6-1 and missing the playoffs.

I have said it before though, every year, I become more disdainful of and bored with the current NFL alignment. People 'think' it is a perfect balance, but it certainly is not balanced.

There will never be perfect balance in a sport with so few games and that is so violent that injuries are not only common, but to be expected. Teams like NE that did so well without a player like Brady are the exception, not the rule.

Winning 5 of the last 6 games is possible even if it may not be probable. But if they do it, finish 10-6, and still don't make the playoffs, how many of you would consider it a successful season, and how many would kick dirt on them and scream for some heads to roll and players be sent on their merry little way?

Crack is bad...

There will never be perfect balance in a sport with so few games and that is so violent that injuries are not only common, but to be expected. Teams like NE that did so well without a player like Brady are the exception, not the rule.

Im just saying that while the schedule and format year to year is constant... the format does not provide the best playoff teams or races. IMO, less Divisions is better. Would like to see 4 "Conferences" personally