A few thoughts about the Bengals Game (BillFromNYC Tribute)

Virgil

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

They gave up 12 points. Ok so maybe it should have been 14 but still. Hard to nit-pick the defense. Great tackles in-bounds on the last drive.

If Clay hauls in the TD pass this board would have a whole different mind-set.

The throw to Harvin was a play to win the game. TT blew it. He makes that throw and the worst is they punt the ball with 15 seconds on the clock. The smarter call was to run. But TT has to make that throw. The modern NFL uses the pass to kill the clock as much as it does the run.

Why so silent on the first round pick barely playing this game? Dareus is ripped for being injured. He played a solid game today. Looked like Lawson was pretty much a healthy scratch all day.

Who do you blame for the penalties? Should Rex sit Hughes for a quarter like it is HS? Should he cut Blanton? I would cut Blanton based on performance alone.

I would sit Hughes for a couple series, he obviously doesn't give a s#!t

Explain how the coaches are responsible for the penalties? The players know the rules. What would any of us do with Hughes? The players can't be fined for penalties. They can't be suspended. You can sit them but they still get paid. It is easy to blame the coaches. Why not assign blame where it belongs? Hughes is a stupid player but on a short list of best defender on the team.

What do you think this board would do if Lawson started and Hughes sat the first quarter against the Jags?

He looks fat and slow. He looks like an average to bad 4-3 DE. No way he can play 3-4 OLB or even a 3-4 DE. No burst off the ball. Haven't seen enough against the run to see if he can hold the edge and point of attack.

Im going to hold out home for ragland because i wasnt excited about the pick and still am not seeing this guy that i was argued down was an absolute no brainer. How is Nkimdiche doing?

Let the fellow develop. Positive critique he can handle

so far he does, I said that the first game back.

And what has happened to 92?

E I dont know what happened to this draft. He was a cant miss as i remember him being touted as when he was drafted. Last I checked his shoulder was hurt. Not his legs he could still do work out there. He doesnt even show flashes of dominance. Couldn't chase down Dalton on his scramble. Im hoping Ragland comes back nicely. He had a knee but he cant be much worse than lawson is right now.

Let the fellow develop. Positive critique he can handle

so far he does, I said that the first game back.

And what has happened to 92?

And to your point of Washington... Just put Worthy out there. Washington is a body and has done SOMETHING not much though.

Looks like he is coming back from a knee injury not a shoulder injury. If this is as quick as he will ever be, he won't be quick enough for the NFL. Maybe it is an issue of "thinking" not reacting and playing as he did miss an enormous amount of practice with the injury.

I hope so man. But i expected overpursuit if anything. Some sort of flash that makes you say... ahhhhh thats why we drafted him.

Looks like he is coming back from a knee injury not a shoulder injury. If this is as quick as he will ever be, he won't be quick enough for the NFL. Maybe it is an issue of "thinking" not reacting and playing as he did miss an enormous amount of practice with the injury.

Some of us.... never mind.

Dareus was half terrible. He was on the ground or perpendicular to the line way too often.

Groy held his own.

Gilleslee runs like FJax.

Tate was fired up for this game.

Woods leaving hurt the run game.

Our safeties are horrendous. Blanton is a disgrace.

Shaq Lawson was a poor draft pick. Will Fuller was the better selection for this team.

Charles Clay is stealing money.

Gilmore padded his free agency stats and someone will play him but really? That's what $10M/year gets you in terms of cornerback play nowadays? Have fun with him, Jerry Richardson.

Will Fuller would have been an excellent pick.

#1 Really he has already produced more than expected

#2 Hopefully Rex lit a fire under their a$$es cuz Both Gilmore and Darby played better.

I find our beloved team gets attacked more by their own than Pats Fans. Years ago we were a legitimately Knowledgable fan base but now it seems these boards have become a place for some to complain while they pretend to have vast knowledge.

What did you expect from lawson?

The way I saw this game, the defense played a lot better. AJ Green got hurt and made their job easy, especially the secondary. Shutting them out in the second half was great. Offense without McCoy was a lot less dangerous. TD Mike played well but I think Lynn did not design the game play around Mike or Bush and the offense was not in sync with either one. Twice at the goal line Tyrod was hwaking the ball. Should just line up with Felton and pound the rock. Hit them in the mouths.

Overall, the team was inconsistent. This has been the story of the season. Tyrod need to scout himself because other teams now have enough tapes on him.

Sometimes it's better to be lucky than good. The Bills could have turned the ball over multiple more times and didn't!

The Bengals are a bad team that looked like they lost their only offensive weapon in AJ Green and couldn't do much on offense without him. That Bengal offense looks like a shell of what it was in the past without Hue Jackson calling the offense.

AJ Green is out for the year with a torn ACL and they also lost Giovani Bernard to a torn ACL. Shady to have surgery on his thumb but should play next week. Woods spotted on crutches after the game.

Im going to hold out home for ragland because i wasnt excited about the pick and still am not seeing this guy that i was argued down was an absolute no brainer. How is Nkimdiche doing?

E I dont know what happened to this draft. He was a cant miss as i remember him being touted as when he was drafted. Last I checked his shoulder was hurt. Not his legs he could still do work out there. He doesnt even show flashes of dominance. Couldn't chase down Dalton on his scramble. Im hoping Ragland comes back nicely. He had a knee but he cant be much worse than lawson is right now.

And to your point of Washington... Just put Worthy out there. Washington is a body and has done SOMETHING not much though.

I hope so man. But i expected overpursuit if anything. Some sort of flash that makes you say... ahhhhh thats why we drafted him.

Will Fuller would have been an excellent pick.

What did you expect from lawson?

Which one? Will Fuller V, a/k/a Will the Conqueror? Because I understand Will I, II, III, and IV may have also been available. (I just can't let it go) :rolleyes:

Edited by The Frankish Reich

I thought dareus played good, and our identity was still to run the ball, we almost had 200 yards rushing. Just couldnt finish drives and some key missed throws cost us

Dareus did play good. If anyone says differently it's just blind hate.

lawson once he gets moving he's ok but by the time he gets going the play is over. He is so slow off the ball.

Edited by Not at the table Karlos

My girlfriend said this as we watched: "Both of these teams look sedated." She was right.

Play calling seemed poor at best and TT is just too erratic to be 'the' answer. $27m next year? Wow. Rex, to be honest, seems like he's been in over his head for a number of years now. While I agree that a win is a win I also believe if the Bills were being coached by someone with roots in the 21st century we'd be far better off.

Your girlfriend should watch the Bills more often. She'd be sedated in no time.

Penalties are always on the Head coach when it's a consistent issue, which it is.

I made reference to Shaq and the overall lack of pass rush. We were healthy on our line for the first time in a while, but couldn't see the benefit outside of Kyle. With Lorax drawing double teams, the excuses for Shaq, Dareus, and Hughes are limited. These guys should be causing havoc by themselves and simply aren't getting it done.

It seemed to me that Shaq barely played. He did make a great play on a run, powering inside his blocker and lunging at the runner to take him down by the feet when he was breaking outside. That play would have gone for some yards. Size, strength, speed and athleticism of Shaq on display there. He is going to be a stud. He is just not getting many opportunities right now.

Dareus did play good. If anyone says differently it's just blind hate.

According to various posters Dareus, Hughes, Lawson, both Safties and Gilmore all played like crap...yet the D allowed 12 points and didn't allow a first down in the 2nd half until the last drive where they were purposely giving them the middle of the field.

I hope they play like crap the rest of the season.

ended their season at their place...not easy to do. Knew it would be extremely physical- just a what ever it takes. Got the win moving on no need to break it down etc. we have no wideouts and all kinds of injuries. This isn't "let me judge" time it's a late November win.

Dareus was terrific, Lawson was okay, Hughes not a factor and stop with the ridiculous penalties. Lastly stop blaming Rex these guys arent high school sophomores they are grown ass men THEY are responsible for the actions not Daddy not Mommy and not coach

Last thing we need to do is act like some high flying offense with no wide outs. Sure you could do the Saints throw it 60 times put up big numbers and lose again. Groy replaces Wood and has to face Atkins - that's a problem. He held up GREAT WIN

Edited by CardinalScotts

They gave up 12 points. Ok so maybe it should have been 14 but still. Hard to nit-pick the defense. Great tackles in-bounds on the last drive.

If Clay hauls in the TD pass this board would have a whole different mind-set.

The throw to Harvin was a play to win the game. TT blew it. He makes that throw and the worst is they punt the ball with 15 seconds on the clock. The smarter call was to run. But TT has to make that throw. The modern NFL uses the pass to kill the clock as much as it does the run.

Why so silent on the first round pick barely playing this game? Dareus is ripped for being injured. He played a solid game today. Looked like Lawson was pretty much a healthy scratch all day.

Who do you blame for the penalties? Should Rex sit Hughes for a quarter like it is HS? Should he cut Blanton? I would cut Blanton based on performance alone.

The throw to Harvin.....yes, I was bothered by that one also...but, I am asking myself....was that a spot pass....did TT miss the throw.....or, did TT hit the spot, and Harvin fail to get there. This isn't like playing catch in the yard...TT is not always looking at the route and hitting the guy in stride. Sometimes it is a spot pass. So, as much as I was also frustrated by that play.....I don't know exactly where the failure lies. For sure, TT/Harvin not on the same page...and maybe that was it....in better days that is Sammy, and it connects.

My take on the Bengals game is pretty simple, and this has held true since the beginning of the season. When the defense shows up (like they did in the second half), this team has a chance to win. Offensively, Tyrod is nothing more than a game manager. Outside of the field goal drive, there were 4 drives of only 3-5 plays each with a punt. You can say that the Bengals are terrible, but they were still a team generating 380 yards of offense per game prior to yesterday. They get 4 of the last 6 at home, which is a good thing. I'll want to see more "closer" from their offense though to believe that they have any shot at the playoffs.

Green missing essentially the entire game really helped the Bills. They literally have no other options at WR. And it's not like Dalton can carry a team any more than Taylor can.

It was an ugly W to be sure, and a very painful game to watch 2 such mediocre teams. But it is a W none the less and gets the Bills back to .500 and still keeps them in the hunt, mathematically anyway.

The fish pulled out a win in the last minute. Would have been nice if they had managed to lose.

Green missing essentially the entire game really helped the Bills. They literally have no other options at WR. And it's not like Dalton can carry a team any more than Taylor can.

It was an ugly W to be sure, and a very painful game to watch 2 such mediocre teams. But it is a W none the less and gets the Bills back to .500 and still keeps them in the hunt, mathematically anyway.

The fish pulled out a win in the last minute. Would have been nice if they had managed to lose.

I hate that the Fish came back in the 4th quarter against us and then again yesterday at LA....They are a team on the rise, riding on a 4 game winning streak.

Jaguars - Win

@Raiders - Loss

Steelers - Loss

Browns - Win

Dolphins - Loss

@Jets - Win

Yep 8-8

Illogical as it is, the Browns game scares me if they are still riding the oh-fer then. It is a very Bills-esque thing to do to give them their only win of the season.

Edited by CodeMonkey

You're not wrong. This game just lulled me to sleep and it was hard to put this recap together. On paper, there were a lot of positives, especially our history on the road against these guys lately and the 0 points scored against in the second half. But watching the game felt VERY different.

You do realize we lost Woods and McCoy in this game too right? Our best players on offense (sad that Woods falls into that category, shows how little offensive weapons we have).

Offense was rolling early and came to a crashing halt after McCoy and Woods got hurt. The utter disregard consistently on this board in regards to the injuries that keep piling up still shocks me. Just like how Cincy losing AJ was a big loss to their offense today. It matters a lot when your playmakers are lost, especially for a team like us that doesn't have many and our game plan was built around those players. I mean our passing game became dependent on Harvin, who is no where near game shape and is fresh off his couch, and Tate who doesn't have good hands and doesn't run good routes. Its very hard to win in todays NFL without your top 2 WRs and your #1 RB and probably overall best offensive player.

I actually think Rex deserves some credit. Coming into this game, this team has been averaging 28 points a game since firing Roman and was one of the top scoring teams in the NFL. And all of that despite not having Sammy, losing OL guys, Woods missing time and playing hurt, McCoy missing time and playing hurt, etc. Teams routinely lose key players every year, but more often than not, those teams losing that many key players finish at the bottom of the NFL, not maintain playoff hopes late in the season and battle for winning records.