Gilmore needs to go

And players also leave for Nice Contracts, Byrd, Whitner, Clements, Searcy etc etc. He knows he likely easily gets a AVV of 11M a year with 40ish M guaranteed n open market, if he doesnt get hurt. So maybe he doesnt care if he stays in buffalo or not, and therefore will preserve his body to get the Big FA deal on exit. 90% of the people complaining about what he is doing would do the same exact thing.

He is in the same secondary as Aaron Williams who is done for the year because of Jarvis Landry. And sitting on no guaranteed money and you think for 1 second he is going to go ball out tackling (the time he has gotten hurt previous years)

Eventually fans will understand there are a ton of players in this league that understands it is just a business and want to make as much as and stay as healthy as possible.

Want to talk Moral? How do you think Gilmore, Woods etc feel when Tyrod Taylor after one year of so so production get his contract extended for no reason?

Maybe so Major. But to use a military analogy, I think that astute officers realize, true warriors are more valuable than mercinaries.

• Replies 294
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Maybe so Major. But to use a military analogy, I think that astute officers realize, true warriors are more valuable than mercinaries.

I get that. But there is loyalty for the most part. Retirement, etc etc. Gilmore has 0 insurance from this team right? So again look at yourself in the mirrors 80 to 90 percent of people on this board would elect the Business decision over risking the offseason selling out for a team that hasnt shown me any loyalty in terms of new moneys etc. Specially when he likely knows hos market Value

http://www.spotrac.com/nfl/buffalo-bills/stephon-gilmore-9820/market-value/

Edited by MAJBobby

The entire secondary got torched because of a failure to communicate. As I've mentioned before, I think missing Aaron is a major part of that. With Aaron being such a major risk to miss playing time, why hasn't either Corey Graham or one of the designated backups that would replace him, been prepped to take command of the calls? That's a coaching issue, whether you like it or not.

The emphasis has been on Gilmore's coverage bust despite the fact that he wasn't even the guy most involved in coverage miscommunication.

In a contract year with so much riding on it for him, it's awful tape for him to have a dude like Hogan fly past him. I think, as selfish as it might be, he's got every right to flip out if there's an issue with getting the calls in. Granted, do it once he's crossed the goal line but I have no issue with him getting on the case of whoever is in charge of the calls in Aaron's place. The problem goes beyond Stephon Gilmore and I think we're getting fixated on one cog instead of the system as a whole.

Much easier to blame the guy that looks like he's on his way out than a combo of ones that might be here longer

Stephon Gilmore is a decent/good NFL CB. But in retrospect, for the 10th overall selection in the draft, there is little argument he has been a disappointment. He is not a shut-down corner. For that draft position, and for the money he'll demand (and I don't blame him, probably his last big pay day), he needs to be a shut-down corner.

Much easier to blame the guy that looks like he's on his way out than a combo of ones that might be here longer

I think you are generalizing perspectives and suggesting some of us are lazy?

Assuredly i have been watching his play since he was drafted. And i never look at stats unless forced to.

Not even thinking about running him out on a rail.

He will get paid because has the respect of the league.

Less so mine.

But like other players, it aint my money and i surely am not qualified to be the GM. !

: )

As much as I'd like to research the heck out of this, I'm a bit short on time this week, so here's my abbreviated answer...

I think most of us would agree that Josh Norman is a top-5 NFL CB. He's the highest-paid, was ranked #1 by PFF (take or leave that), and is widely lauded as being top-tier.

He had a phenomenal first 2 weeks, then gave up 5 receptions for 88 yards to Beckham in week 3, followed by 4 receptions for 48 yards and a TD to Terrelle Pryor in the first half of week 4.

He had some other struggles since then, giving up a few big completions to Jordan Matthews and a few others, but none bigger than the Marvin Jones 52-yard catch that set up Detroit's victory versus Washington in Week 7 (a play in which Norman was beat badly enough that he had to interfere with Jones, but still couldn't stop the big play from happening).

Point is, good players get beat, and it happens quite regularly. Even to the best. The comment to which I replied was that truly great corners do not ever get beat, and that's complete hogwash.

Thank you for the response. I agree with you all corners will get beat. Corner play is also tied to pass rush. not to mention great QB's will make great throws.

I think you and I agree that Gilmore is costing himself probably some money. My hope for the Bills is Gilmore turns it on in the second half of the season. He has done that in the past.

Edited by atlbillsfan1975

Ragging on Gilmore is Totally fair as this a thread about Gilmore and not the D as a whole. Gilmore not being consistent and not being a play-hard-Kyle-Williams contributes to the D's limited success. Especially with the emphasis on DBs in Ryan's schemes

Edited by Fan in Chicago

Here's the thing. It really sucks when a 1st rounder doesn't pan out or when they are a good player and you decide to let them go instead of overpaying. It always feels like a wasted pick, but honestly it happens to every team, not just ours - the draft is a crap-shoot.That being said, this year he is playing really soft and is not that interested in playing even though he can ball out, but doesn't want to get hurt. Bellicheat* would never keep one of these players around and honestly I don't want players like that on my team, even if they are pretty good. Find players who will always give it their all and play their hearts out; I'd take that any day...

90% of the people complaining about what he is doing would do the same exact thing.

No, that's a poor take.

If most people had pocketed the $25M+ that Gilmore already has they would retire or take more pride in their work.

He just appears to be of exceptionally low character. No account. That's always been his MO and it's just becoming more clear to the broader fanbase.

Typically people with this character flaw f*ck themselves by alienating themselves in the workforce...........but occasionally somebody gets that lottery ticket.

Hopefully the exposure of his b*tchass nature will bring out the fight in him for a change and he will finish this season strong at least.

Edited by #BADOL

Here's the thing. It really sucks when a 1st rounder doesn't pan out or when they are a good player and you decide to let them go instead of overpaying. It always feels like a wasted pick, but honestly it happens to every team, not just ours - the draft is a crap-shoot.That being said, this year he is playing really soft and is not that interested in playing even though he can ball out, but doesn't want to get hurt. Bellicheat* would never keep one of these players around and honestly I don't want players like that on my team, even if they are pretty good. Find players who will always give it their all and play their hearts out; I'd take that any day...

Other than QBs, draft only non-pass rushing linemen or linebackers in the first round. They aren't primadonas and don't cost as much to resign.

No, that's a poor take.

If most people had pocketed the $25M+ that Gilmore already has they would retire or take more pride in their work.

He just appears to be of exceptionally low character. No account. That's always been his MO and it's just becoming more clear to the broader fanbase.

Typically people with this character flaw f*ck themselves by alienating themselves in the workforce...........but occasionally somebody gets that lottery ticket.

Hopefully the exposure of his b*tchass nature will bring out the fight in him for a change and he will finish this season strong at least.

You xannot even relate actually. But the reality is it happens all over the league.

Fans care more about the "Sport" Competition etc etc than the players for them it is a means to the end, to build generational wealth (if they keep it or go broke is on them actually)

His 1st contract

4 years 12M.

Option (Essentially Franchise Tag for 1st rounders) 1 year 11M.

So coming into this year, nothing past here guaranteed, multiple years with INJ myself and AW career likely over....

Yep i (and most) would makr the "business decisions" and you really are hypocritical saying otherwise

Edited by MAJBobby

RE: shutdown corners. Gilmore will never be one because they don't really exist in the NFL anymore. The best CBs get beat. The rule book heavily favors the offense, and with the volume of passes thrown today, its damn near impossible to shut down a bona fide #1 WR anymore.

Makes me appreciate peak Revis all the much more. And look how quickly his time on the top ended.

And players also leave for Nice Contracts, Byrd, Whitner, Clements, Searcy etc etc. He knows he likely easily gets a AVV of 11M a year with 40ish M guaranteed n open market, if he doesnt get hurt. So maybe he doesnt care if he stays in buffalo or not, and therefore will preserve his body to get the Big FA deal on exit. 90% of the people complaining about what he is doing would do the same exact thing.

He is in the same secondary as Aaron Williams who is done for the year because of Jarvis Landry. And sitting on no guaranteed money and you think for 1 second he is going to go ball out tackling (the time he has gotten hurt previous years)

Eventually fans will understand there are a ton of players in this league that understands it is just a business and want to make as much as and stay as healthy as possible.

Want to talk Moral? How do you think Gilmore, Woods etc feel when Tyrod Taylor after one year of so so production get his contract extended for no reason?

I am not being Hypocritical is all. I likely (much like everyone here) would make a "business decision" over risking everything for a team that doesnt show us any loyalty past this year

It's like this all over the NFL. He's in for a massive pay day whether he stays or leaves, and doesn't seem to care either way. Can't blame him - he'll be set for life.

Whaley has to realize that you build through the draft at this point. It's the only way to maintain lower payroll around all the massive extensions we gave out. You then can continue extend the best players you need/want to keep.

totally agree. He thinks he can play soft for a nice payday, he can play sit on the bench.

No one forced him to play in the NFL. he can get injury insurance. The coaches and teams job is to win games. He's not helping. Time for the bench.