I Don't Feel Like Playing Today

Gugny

This and the OP are two of the worst posts I've ever read in the history of this forum.

I like how taking care of one's health is considered "woosification". Yeah, like the NFL really gives a flying **** if you're wheelchair bound in your 60s because you decided to play through a spinal fracture in a Week 6 game against the Texans on Thursday night.

I can understand not playing through discomfort, but battling through injuries and being ineffective is pointless.

To disagree is fine. You probably never played so you don't understand. To say it's the worst post in history means you must not have been around here very long.

There is a difference between injured and hurt which is something you don't seem to understand. Injured would be a broken bone or torn muscle and the likely end result is surgery. Hurt is oww my hamstring hurts I'm only going to be at 85%.

Getting hurt and playing through it is part of the game. Players at all levels have done it. What's next? Boxers that can't fight because they got hit in the head? I'm just stating a fact on how things used to be. They are different now. It is what it is. I've never seen so many football players on the sidelines because their hamstring is sore or their foot hurts.

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

This and the OP are two of the worst posts I've ever read in the history of this forum.

I like how taking care of one's health is considered "woosification". Yeah, like the NFL really gives a flying **** if you're wheelchair bound in your 60s because you decided to play through a spinal fracture in a Week 6 game against the Texans on Thursday night.

I can understand not playing through discomfort, but battling through injuries and being ineffective is pointless.

Life is a trade off Heels. You want BIG money then you got to play. No one is forced to be an NFL player. For that matter there are a lot of people that end up physically worn out from working their "little" jobs from $10 to $30 an hour

When I played I never heard of someone not playing because of a hamstring or hurt foot. That would have been comical. I broke every finger and they would just tape it up and send me back out. I remember I missed a practice to get an x-ray on said finger and the coach flipped out on me like I was being a wimp. If your hamstring hurts then jog it off. If you have a concussion then sniff some smelling salts. If you have a broken arm then wrap your cast with some padding and use it like a club. I understand what the OP is saying. Football used to be a man's game. The woosification of America has leaked into the sport and the players are soft imo.

No disrespect to you, but the ignorance of this statement astounds me. Broken fingers...yea, tape them up and move on. I get that. The rest of it....in today's day of what we know about the body and the damage this game does to said body. I find it hard to believe that you actually believe what you just said. Just because that was how it was done then, does not mean that it has to be that way now. under your premise we should still be carrying clubs around and hitting our women over their head and dragging them back to our homes because, well hey, that's how it was done in the stone age. Give me break. Time to arrive in the 21st century!

Well said Heels!!!!

Edited by BigPappy

When I played I never heard of someone not playing because of a hamstring or hurt foot. That would have been comical. I broke every finger and they would just tape it up and send me back out. I remember I missed a practice to get an x-ray on said finger and the coach flipped out on me like I was being a wimp. If your hamstring hurts then jog it off. If you have a concussion then sniff some smelling salts. If you have a broken arm then wrap your cast with some padding and use it like a club. I understand what the OP is saying. Football used to be a man's game. The woosification of America has leaked into the sport and the players are soft imo.

And when I was a boy, I walked five miles to school and back every day, uphill both ways, through year round snow up to my a$$, carrying my 7 younger siblings on my back....

And when I was a boy, I walked five miles to school and back every day, uphill both ways, through year round snow up to my a$$, carrying my 7 younger siblings on my back....

This should be in a different thread, but you were taken advantage of, my friend.

Going back to last year with Goodwin, Sammy, Dareus and McCoy ... and up to this current week ... it seems that Rex has created an environment in which players can just "opt out," of a game, as if it's a Common Core exam.

In a league that players ALWAYS play injured, this bothers me.

There is no such thing as 100% healthy in the NFL. Everyone knows this.

But to this day, on most teams, players play through those injuries.

The Bills, however, don't seem to set that expectation. As a fan, it's disheartening.

The Marcel thing.....I dont know....I think I agree with you here

The Watkins situation.....with the exception of THIS YEAR.....Watkins hurt or not has frankly not missed that many games and has played hurt. I just think he came back to soon and just was not ready.....not they are paying for it by not having him out there till later in the season

Woods has been an ironman......and is apparently doing whatever he can to stay on the field even though he is hurt

The Shady situation? Practiced today.....sometimes these guys dont get to decide whether they play or not. I know that I dont want Shady playing with a hammy issue....it will take away what makes him special.

I guess my point is....these guys are TRYING to play with the exception of Marcel

No disrespect to you, but the ignorance of this statement astounds me. Broken fingers...yea, tape them up and move on. I get that. The rest of it....in today's day of what we know about the body and the damage this game does to said body. I find it hard to believe that you actually believe what you just said. Just because that was how it was done then, does not mean that it has to be that way now. under your premise we should still be carrying clubs around and hitting our women over their head and dragging them back to our homes

I never said it was right or wrong. I said it's different now than it was then. Just stating a fact. No ignorance here my friend.

If anything Im on the side of being cautious. My kids won't play football because of how I was treated. I don't trust coaches to do the right thing. I was knocked unconscious and my teammates picked me up and helped me to the sideline and then I was back in the next series. It wasn't even a thought that maybe I should take some plays off. You were expected to play through pain. So when they say a player has a bad boo boo on their foot and can't play I have to laugh

Edited by kdiggz

The Marcel thing.....I dont know....I think I agree with you here

The Watkins situation.....with the exception of THIS YEAR.....Watkins hurt or not has frankly not missed that many games and has played hurt. I just think he came back to soon and just was not ready.....not they are paying for it by not having him out there till later in the season

Woods has been an ironman......and is apparently doing whatever he can to stay on the field even though he is hurt

The Shady situation? Practiced today.....sometimes these guys dont get to decide whether they play or not. I know that I dont want Shady playing with a hammy issue....it will take away what makes him special.

I guess my point is....these guys are TRYING to play with the exception of Marcel

Sammy kept telling the media he was playing and the team kept saying he wasn't.

u sure did

Nobody can say for sure the level of pain a player is in except for the player himself. If the injury is one that can be played with, the medical staff can assess the injury and advise a plan for rehab of said injury but they cannot assess the level of pain the player is in, only the player can do that.

Or people are just much smarter about injuries now... o_O

I am just thinking how comical it would be to hear you tell your Little League war stories and tough guy opinions to an actual NFL player.

The wussification of America is a much larger issue. Google for many examples of a very real problem

It goes much deeper then that

Players are concentrating on putting on as much size while still getting as explosive and fast as they can.......and the bodies simply cannot take it.

I was discussing this with my son the other day who is now interning with a former NFL player to specialize in sports training for athletes while still looking to possibly go play in the CFL.

it is absolutely nuts

Players are concentrating on putting on as much size while still getting as explosive and fast as they can.......and the bodies simply cannot take it.

Well, they could if they would just rub some dirt on it and get back out there! :beer:

I would also add that I work with a lot of pro skateboard / BMX / snowboarders (think 20 somethings) and I assure everyone those kids are NOT soft or wussies in any way. I've seen some falls that just make you cringe, only to have the kid get back up and try the trick again, lest we think all millennials are Making America Not Great...

Dareus is...well, he's Dareus. He can't play because he needs to get himself back into game shape (did you seriously expect him to workout over those 4 weeks?)

This is what bothers me the most about Dareus. Every other player who was suspended the first four weeks came back in week five ready to play. I think Marshmello was just sitting around eating ho-hos playing x-box for four weeks. The Bills shoulda hired a personal trainer for him so that he could have been staying in shape while away from the team.