Gilmore Thread

Are we sure Gilmore blew it, as opposed to Darby? It was unclear to me.

That was unclear, and they're unlikely to tell us. It did look like gilmore, but we can't know for sure. Either way, I'm glad it didn't cost a game.

• Replies 215
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Probably true. We should have paid Winfield though, although it was impossible to know that at the time because Clements was coming up the next year.

I am a sucker for this debate. To me, the smart money was on keeping Clements and letting AW walk. Clements was younger and a much better playmaker (more picks; better ball skills). In hindsight, it was the wrong move.

I am a sucker for this debate. To me, the smart money was on keeping Clements and letting AW walk. Clements was younger and a much better playmaker (more picks; better ball skills). In hindsight, it was the wrong move.

I wasn't even against it. I thought AW was better than Clements but it was really tough to make that call.

Agreed, though not as egregious an error as paying Terrance McGee $7M/year while allowing Jabari Greer to walk for $5.5M/year.

Agreed. Lil Antoine wasn't half the player for the Bills that he ended up being for the Vikings, I don't think anyone truly saw that coming.

As for Gilmore, I'm inclined to forget about a bad play here or there when the team is on a 4-game winning streak. He still has a lot of talent and IMO upside, let's see how the season plays out & what the price will be.

Gilmore was probably at fault on that play, but it is impossible (without confirmation) to be sure. While football may not be a complicated game, defensive back coverage can be quite complicated (as can offensive line responsibilities, at times).

Letting AW go was a mistake, IMO. I understood it, but never liked it. Because he didn't get INTs , some thought he wasn't that good, They were wrong. He was a stud.

Gilmore isn't having a great year, but I think that's mostly because of his missed tackles, this year. Very odd for an OSU cornerback. He will get huge money in the offseason. And, while I like him, I'm not sure the Bills should pay what he will be offered by other teams. Players can be worth more to some teams, than they are to others. It's the nature of just about every sport. The Panthers are getting a lot of flack for letting Norman go. I don't necessarily blame them for not giving Norman the contract he got elsewhere, but I do blame them for not having a contingency plan. I'd like to think Whaley is a bit better than that.

Gilmore was probably at fault on that play, but it is impossible (without confirmation) to be sure. While football may not be a complicated game, defensive back coverage can be quite complicated (as can offensive line responsibilities, at times).

Letting AW go was a mistake, IMO. I understood it, but never liked it. Because he didn't get INTs , some thought he wasn't that good, They were wrong. He was a stud.

Gilmore isn't having a great year, but I think that's mostly because of his missed tackles, this year. Very odd for an OSU cornerback. He will get huge money in the offseason. And, while I like him, I'm not sure the Bills should pay what he will be offered by other teams. Players can be worth more to some teams, than they are to others. It's the nature of just about every sport. The Panthers are getting a lot of flack for letting Norman go. I don't necessarily blame them for not giving Norman the contract he got elsewhere, but I do blame them for not having a contingency plan. I'd like to think Whaley is a bit better than that.

Get the hell out of here with you and your reasonability, you...

Good points. Only mistake is that Gilmore didn't play at OSU. He was a Gamecock (USC).

Get the hell out of here with you and your reasonability, you...

Sorry, my bad.

Good points. Only mistake is that Gilmore didn't play at OSU. He was a Gamecock (USC).

D'oh! I guess that explains it, then. :rolleyes:

Agreed. Lil Antoine wasn't half the player for the Bills that he ended up being for the Vikings, I don't think anyone truly saw that coming.

As for Gilmore, I'm inclined to forget about a bad play here or there when the team is on a 4-game winning streak. He still has a lot of talent and IMO upside, let's see how the season plays out & what the price will be.

AW was every bit the player here. He was one of the best CBs I ever saw and the very best tackler of any player that ever played on the Bills. He didn't get a lot of INTs but he was incredible against the run and the pass. A lot of people thought Clements was better because he would get a turnover now and then but he got burnt a lot and AW rarely got beat. He was exactly the player on the Vikes he was here, which was quietly great.

Tell me again how we know he was responsible for the blown coverage and not Darby?

I was furious at that point of the game and blamed Gilmore.....but your right we dont know who actually blew the assignment

There is an interesting dynamic that is developing

Lorax

Zach Brown

We did not expect THESE players to fit so well......and we need to keep them

So....what do you do?

I agree that without knowing the coverage, we can't be sure that Gilmore made the mistake.

But as far as resigning him goes, I think it is totally up to Gilmore himself. He is an above

average corner, but he wants top 5 money. He's playing good, but not great. So, if he refuses

to budge from top 5 money, I think he'll be gone. If he comes down in price, the Bills would like

to keep him. So, it's up to him. In the end, he'll probably get his money (plenty of teams will overpay

for free agents), just not from Buffalo.

I trust Whaley & co. To make the right choice with Gilmore. He's a good player, but not a game changer worthy of top dollar, but who of all the players we have cut or let walk in free agency in past few years have gone on to become real studs elsewhere? I can't think of one guy. Our biggest names to leave have been Mario, Byrd and Spiller and they have been busts, Levitre has been serviceable but did get cut from his initial contract (and the FO did not have an adequate replacement at the time either, granted). But I feel like the staff knows which guys are worth the $$ (Glenn, Dareus, Hughes).

Just by the way Darby and Gilmore reacted I would say that Gilmore was confused. Darby didnt hesitate and went right for the receiver in the flat(darby could have been wrong and just reacted faster)

There were a few times during the game where Gilmore was looking around before the snap like he didn't know the coverage.