Gilmore Thread

You and your "facts" Blokes.... the lynch mob have no time for them.

I hope we keep Stephon Gilmore because he will not be easy to replace. I think he is better than most Bills fans realise. There does come a point money wise though... and I wouldn't give him Norman like money. $13.5m a year would be my absolute limit.

The $12m/year deal that Darius Slay got is fair market value for Stephon under the current circumstances. Tag being in play etc.

Whether anyone likes it or not, paying Tyrod that contract still doesn't make us an offense-reliant team. We rely on the defense playing stifling football. Corner is a big part of that. The dropoff from Gilmore to most of the feasible options isn't something I want to risk.

• Replies 215
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The $12m/year deal that Darius Slay got is fair market value for Stephon under the current circumstances. Tag being in play etc.

Whether anyone likes it or not, paying Tyrod that contract still doesn't make us an offense-reliant team. We rely on the defense playing stifling football. Corner is a big part of that. The dropoff from Gilmore to most of the feasible options isn't something I want to risk.

Really? He couldn't be replaced for a whole lot less than his ask? I doubt it. Guy's been horrible.

I'm still not convinced they're even watching the guy on the other side of our backfield, let alone anyone else :D

Listen, Gilmore has allowed some catches this season. Do you see any other great corners in the league allowing any catches!?! I didn't think so. The only way to be a great corner is to never allow a catch. Ever. Everyone knows that.

I'm still not convinced they're even watching the guy on the other side of our backfield, let alone anyone else :D

ha, yeah. He's not an elite all pro but he's a very solid player who is young, size and speed, can play man coverage and any team would love to have. Good NFL CBs don't grow on trees. He will get paid one way or another and he should. Edited by YoloinOhio

ha, yeah. He's not an elite all pro but he's a very solid player who is young, size and speed, can play man coverage and any team would love to have. Good NFL CBs don't grow on trees. He will get paid one way or another and he should.

A little perspective wouldn't go amiss.

Is he a top-5 corner? Probably not. Do you need to be to get paid like one? Not really. Will someone pay him if he hits the open market? Absolutely. Is he a big hole to fill? Absolutely.

Janoris Jenkins has the 6th highest average cap hit for an NFL CB (not including Trumaine Johnson's tag figure) and he wasn't even the best CB on his TEAM in 2015 :D

A little perspective wouldn't go amiss.

Is he a top-5 corner? Probably not. Do you need to be to get paid like one? Not really. Will someone pay him if he hits the open market? Absolutely. Is he a big hole to fill? Absolutely.

Janoris Jenkins has the 6th highest average cap hit for an NFL CB (not including Trumaine Johnson's tag figure) and he wasn't even the best CB on his TEAM in 2015 :D

OK, well HE is asking for top-5 money. Should you pay top-5 for someone who isnt?

OK, well HE is asking for top-5 money. Should you pay top-5 for someone who isnt?

Ideally, you don't 'overpay' for anyone but every team is different. A team like the Cowboys have put resources into an offensive line to aid their play style. Fredericks just got paid, Tyron Smith got an 8-year deal, Martin/Collins will get paid when their time comes. Those guys are critical for what they do and will get paid accordingly. Even if not absolute value-for-money, they'll stick with what they've got and not delve into the realms of unknowns.

For Rex, defense is the strong suit. Corner being the critical position. I think Gilmore is certainly within the upper echelon of corner play in the NFL. Trying to quantify exactly where he fits isn't easy but he's the clear #1 CB on this team, he's got 2 years in the system already and if any replacement for him falters, it could be damaging to the team's likelihood of future success (at least in the short term).

Given all that; yeah, I pay him a hefty sum. I've said it before, paying Gilmore doesn't scare me. I know what I'm getting there.

Ideally, you don't 'overpay' for anyone but every team is different. A team like the Cowboys have put resources into an offensive line to aid their play style. Fredericks just got paid, Tyron Smith got an 8-year deal, Martin/Collins will get paid when their time comes. Those guys are critical for what they do and will get paid accordingly. Even if not absolute value-for-money, they'll stick with what they've got and not delve into the realms of unknowns.

For Rex, defense is the strong suit. Corner being the critical position. I think Gilmore is certainly within the upper echelon of corner play in the NFL. Trying to quantify exactly where he fits isn't easy but he's the clear #1 CB on this team, he's got 2 years in the system already and if any replacement for him falters, it could be damaging to the team's likelihood of future success (at least in the short term).

Given all that; yeah, I pay him a hefty sum. I've said it before, paying Gilmore doesn't scare me. I know what I'm getting there.

I get your point, just not sure I agree.

Couldn't agree more. We still need to win with defense.

We don't have to agree, that's the beauty of opinion.

Just stating the case for the defense, m'lord :)

I am delighted we have made it this far in the discussion.

Because i do not like his style of play does not mean i do not respect him.

I probably like Slay more.

But when you are talking about Buffalo's offer of 105 and him maybe wanting 12? I don't care that much.

I just want him to tackle the run much much better. and turn back to the play quicker.

As a person i think i really like the guy.

The other point is, YES, he is not that simple to replace in Rex's current method.

He is a very good corner.

Just ask opposing QBs

M'lord? I'm in 'murrica. We ain't need no lords, yer lordship

unruly bunch you 'mericans.

wait..