The "Rex ruined Mario Williams" crowd looks pretty silly...

eball

It was at times a point of trouble with pettine at times, wasn't it?

yep! I think Mike Pettine was consumed with pass rushing, so he over did it vs stopping the run and Rex did the opposite last year. Although last year's defense had way more problems than just the lack of sacks.

It's great to see the defense playing so much better this season! However, I'm still not fully sold that the current scheme will do that well against Brady and the elites. Needless to say, there was speculation today on PFT that Brady wants to play until 2025 :cry:

• Replies 297
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

In a word, motivation. MW held a completely different status within the Bills lockerroom vs. the one he's in now. Our coaches weren't inclined to throw the lockerroom alpha dog under the bus, given what that represented, so they tried the carrot approach instead. Publicly criticizing MW last season would have made a bad situation much worse and it was a bad situation in that room; near mutinous actually. I would think the reasons not to publicly criticize him at the time would be somewhat obvious.

so if that is your take , then isn't benching him equal to this PC commentary by the no longer Coaching Bills Dline Dunbar?

And yet some say Rex has no Balls and must beThe Queen

In this moment in time when it seems all opinions are black and white (I'm right and you're evil. No, you're wrong and I'm the good person), let me offer a gray zone opinion. It is completely possible that Rex is an incompetent clown with a passe approach to the game, and that MW is a malingering malcontent whose career is in permanent decline. MW's '16 season does not validate Rex's awful '15 defense. Could be it was a mutual suck-a-thon.

you're wrong!

Because.

yep! I think Mike Pettine was consumed with pass rushing, so he over did it vs stopping the run and Rex did the opposite last year. Although last year's defense had way more problems than just the lack of sacks.

It's great to see the defense playing so much better this season! However, I'm still not fully sold that the current scheme will do that well against Brady and the elites. Needless to say, there was speculation today on PFT that Brady wants to play until 2025 :cry:

Well when someone can shut down Brady then i might agree. When no one can i have trouble singling out Rex.

I would like to have a note made about the second matchup last year against Pats.

Rex is closer than most, and that was with his half hearted team of malcontents :flirt:

so if that is your take , then isn't benching him equal to this PC commentary by the no longer Coaching Bills Dline Dunbar?

And yet some say Rex has no Balls and must beThe Queen

No, I don't think benching him is the same as throwing him under the bus to the media. Not even close, in fact. The former is something a good coach has to do to maintain credibility with his players, the latter is the antithesis of that.

It will be interesting to see how MW responds to the criticism by his DC made public in the Miami press.

Mario was benched today and didn't start

So who was the most wrong all offseason long about Mario ?

Merper, JBoyst, or Scott Law.

I'm awarding co-winners to jb and merper.

Thanks for the laughs guys. Special shout out to merper's Rex was mean to Preston Brown rant.

Funny stuff guys.

He's physically a freak, but mentally weak, basically an old school, 4-3 one trick pony DE, game's passed him by. When Wade made him stand up in Houston's D, that was the beginning of the end

He had like 5 sacks in 5 games when Wade made him play LB. He was great his first three years here. He sucked ass last year.

...I looked, and looked, and looked all throughout the Fish/Titans box score and just couldn't find Mario's name (aside from the fact he started the game).

Sacks: 0

Solo Tackles: 0

Assisted Tackles: 0

Yeah, it was Rex's D alright.

That's because Rex ruined him. What's so hard to understand? He was great before Rex. Rex ruined him and then he went to the Fins ruined (already ruined by Rex). Rex ruined Mario.He broke him. He didn't fix him before sending him on his way.

But honestly, is Rex 100% at fault for ruining Mario? Of course not. I'm thinking maybe 60-75%,

Even as I gain some respect for Rex as a HC, I can't deny he played a huge part in ruining the career of Mario Williams. He didn't follow a basic tenet of great management: Put your people in a position to succeed. Don't ask them, continually, to do things they are not qualified to do.

Both, of course, are at fault. But Rex was the boss, and the boss gets the bulk of the credit, and the blame, in situations like this (as far as I'm concerned).

That's because Rex ruined him. What's so hard to understand? He was great before Rex. Rex ruined him and then he went to the Fins ruined (already ruined by Rex). Rex ruined Mario.He broke him. He didn't fix him before sending him on his way.

But honestly, is Rex 100% at fault for ruining Mario? Of course not. I'm thinking maybe 60-75%,

Even as I gain some respect for Rex as a HC, I can't deny he played a huge part in ruining the career of Mario Williams. He didn't follow a basic tenet of great management: Put your people in a position to succeed. Don't ask them, continually, to do things they are not qualified to do.

Both, of course, are at fault. But Rex was the boss, and the boss gets the bulk of the credit, and the blame, in situations like this (as far as I'm concerned).

How many times was Mario asked to drop in coverage last year out of how many snaps on the field???

The reason Buffalo got him is because he wasn't happy with what they were asking him to do in Houston, so Houston was ready

to move on (despite what his production may have been). Then he does the same thing in Buffalo when Rex came.

Sure he has been a very good/elite player at times in his career, but if he had a problem with both Wade's and Rex's defenses, two

of the best defensive coaches in the league who have made stars out of unknown players, then I tend to think it is the

player and not the coach(es). And choosing not to play hard is inexcusable.

He is not as good a player as he once was, and the physical decline (i.e., first step/quickness) was clearly evident last year. That's the root of his problem, and that's largely why he's a complete non-producer in Miami right now (that and being a malingerer, of course).

Edited by dave mcbride

They have to start him against us Sunday though right? Solely for the motivation, I would think. Who did they start in his place?

I hope MW starts against us on Sunday. There are more than a few players that would love to pop him in the mouth if given the chance.