The "Rex ruined Mario Williams" crowd looks pretty silly...

eball

I think what Big Cat was getting at (and he can correct me) was that the Rex issue was unrelated to the Mario issue. Mario sucked last year and it is on Mario that he sucked. It seems he is positing that Mario is to blame for Mario and Rex is to blame for the units overall failing not the failures of Mario individually.

And more specifically, Rex is related to the extent that he didn't provide the perfect conditions for Mario to succeed. But that wasn't his !@#$ing job. But I've already stated very clearly, that Rex erred in attempting this by merging schemes.

On the other hand, it's Mario's !@#$ing job to do what he's being asked to do and be as successful doing it as he can be. He clearly didn't do that. And he's clearly not doing it now. He should have been benched.

So if the concession here is: Rex didn't design a defense to feature Mario Williams, then sure. If that's the case, Rex played a key part in Mario's decline. What that has to do with his decline in Houston and Miami, I'm not sure.

But to the extent that Rex designed a defense that Mario opted out of, no. Rex played no part in his decline, as evident by the players who are succeeding this year and have--under Rex--in the past, to say nothing of Mario's own personal record in similar matters, with different coaches, on different teams.

• Replies 297
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So if the concession here is: Rex didn't design a defense to feature Mario Williams, then sure. If that's the case, Rex played a key part in Mario's decline. What that has to do with his decline in Houston and Miami, I'm not sure.

But to the extent that Rex designed a defense that Mario opted out of, no. Rex played no part in his decline, as evident by the players who are succeeding this year and have--under Rex--in the past, to say nothing of Mario's own personal record in similar matters, with different coaches, on different teams.

Injury was his decline in Houston. He wasn't a huge fan of that defense either at the end that is true and one of the reasons he chose Buffalo was to play in a traditional 4-3. But his last season in Houston he had as many sacks in 5 games as he did in 16 here last year.

Rex misused Mario last season and in a mess of a defense too. The fact that Mario quit after 7 games as well, the fact he may be physically declining and the fact that Rex has produced productive defenses before and has again so far this year does nothing to change that fact.

It doesn't shift blame from Mario either. Quitting on your team is never defensible.

Mario was also a locker room lawyer and his pettiness and crappy work ethic was followed by some of the younger guys who looked up to him, including Dareus. And as I believe GG and others have pointed out, not having Kyle there in the locker room to snuff that out at times also hurt the team, and hurt Rex, which is 100% Mario's fault, as well as arguably worse than loafing.

both coach and player share in Mario's demise, IMO.

This is right. The good news is both problems seemed to be handled.

Mario was cut and They reassigned everything Rex was 'doing' to other people. He can thus focus on entertaining press conferences, sound bytes and antics... and it's working so far this season.

Edited by over 20 years of fanhood

Jim Schwartz is a great DC. Rex Ryan is a great DC. They, however, run vastly different schemes.

This whole Mario issues is less about Mario (an aging and overpaid DE) and is more about the overall impact to the Bills decision to alter course with Ryan.

Many make the argument that the transition from Schwartz to Ryan cost the Bills a legitimate shot at the playoffs last season. Mario was the poster boy for the issues on defense, but remember that Dareus and Hughes combined for only 7 sacks last year. So the transition was not an easy one.

And the transition to Ryan's defense has also been pricey. It hastened Mario's departure, creating dead cap space. And the Bills spent their first 3 draft picks on the defensive front seven, which at the end of 2014 was unfathomable.

However, if the progress the defense is showing this season is legit (and like most Bills fans, I pray that it is), and the Bills make the playoffs, last season will be seen as an acceptable transition to success, and not a self-inflicted crash and burn season, adding many more seasons to the playoff drought.

So it's less about Mario, and more about the Pegula's decision to rebuild an area of strength under Ryan. Considering the results after the first 5 games, the argument tilts in favor of this decision.

If the team ends up at 500 or worse at the end of the season, however, the argument tilts back against the decision to hire Ryan, and Mario represents the missed opportunity to build on the success of Schwartz's defense.

I think that the team was not expecting TT to be as solid as he was and felt that a one year adjustment period might be necessary. You can't say that publicly for business reasons, but I think they are pleased to have made the full transition after just one season of mediocrity.

Injury was his decline in Houston. He wasn't a huge fan of that defense either at the end that is true and one of the reasons he chose Buffalo was to play in a traditional 4-3. But his last season in Houston he had as many sacks in 5 games as he did in 16 here last year.

Rex misused Mario last season and in a mess of a defense too. The fact that Mario quit after 7 games as well, the fact he may be physically declining and the fact that Rex has produced productive defenses before and has again so far this year does nothing to change that fact.

It doesn't shift blame from Mario either. Quitting on your team is never defensible.

Come on. Mario was a diva.

[This was kind of like when Arsene had Ozil play on the left to accommodate Santi and/or Ramsay, and Ozil decided to be more of a diva than he normally is and pull a Mario as a form of protest].

In either case, that is a BS tactic by the player - especially when they are getting paid millions and millions of dollars (pounds).

By the way, remind me again how many times Mario dropped back in coverage and how many total snaps he played last year?

Unless he was put in to return punts, you'll have to excuse me for calling BS on the "misused." Claim.

Mario was also a locker room lawyer and his pettiness and crappy work ethic was followed by some of the younger guys who looked up to him, including Dareus. And as I believe GG and others have pointed out, not having Kyle there in the locker room to snuff that out at times also hurt the team, and hurt Rex, which is 100% Mario's fault, as well as arguably worse than loafing.

Yup.

Although Jerry seems to have been buds with him, and that might've been the only guy you couldn't accuse of letting up on that d-line last year. Nonetheless, glad he's not around MD anymore.

[This was kind of like when Arsene had Ozil play on the left to accommodate Santi and/or Ramsay, and Ozil decided to be more of a diva than he normally is and pull a Mario as a form of protest]

And that was on Wenger too. It was as ridiculous as having Mario two gap.

[This was kind of like when Arsene had Ozil play on the left to accommodate Santi and/or Ramsay, and Ozil decided to be more of a diva than he normally is and pull a Mario as a form of protest].

In either case, that is a BS tactic by the player - especially when they are getting paid millions and millions of dollars (pounds).

By the way, remind me again how many times Mario dropped back in coverage and how many total snaps he played last year?

LOL, I doubt there are 10 other posters here who pay attention to EPL

And that was on Wenger too. It was as ridiculous as having Mario two gap.

Fine examples of coaches marginalizing talent by putting divas in positions not to not do what they do best thus disgruntling and demoralizing them to the point of uselessness.

Understandable if the desired outcome is there. When it's not though....

It is total BS, but a great attitude isn't the very first thing you need to make the NFL. It's probably near the bottom of the list of nice to haves.

On dropping into coverage, I haven't notice a single instance of a d lineman dropping in coverage since Rex passed the play call baton.

Fine examples of coaches marginalizing talent by putting divas in positions not to not do what they do best thus disgruntling and demoralizing them to the point of uselessness.

Understandable if the desired outcome is there. When it's not though....

It is total BS, but a great attitude isn't the very first thing you need to make the NFL. It's probably near the bottom of the list of nice to haves.

On dropping into coverage, I haven't notice a single instance of a d lineman dropping in coverage since Rex passed the play call baton.

Unless you count Hughes and Alexander as linemen, which they are. There are a lot of plays when we only use 1-2 DL.

Unless you count Hughes and Alexander as linemen, which they are. There are a lot of plays when we only use 1-2 DL.

Yeah that was a ridiculous assertion. Lorax & Hughes essentially replaced Mario's spot, and they're in coverage a lot more than was ever contemplated for Mario.

Do people watch the film before spouting off?

Unless he was put in to return punts, you'll have to excuse me for calling BS on the "misused." Claim.

When he did not want to make effort on defense the Bills should have put him on special teams not cut him as some wanted. Cutting would have allowed him to continue to loaf with no effort at all.

Oh god. This **** again? We're still repeating it as if:

• It explains anything
  • It actually happened

??

MAMA MIA

It did happen.

Yeah that was a ridiculous assertion. Lorax & Hughes essentially replaced Mario's spot, and they're in coverage a lot more than was ever contemplated for Mario.

Do people watch the film before spouting off?

It is a different defense this year but you are absolutely correct - the OLBs have been in coverage much more than any of the D-line were last year.