Josh McDaniels to pursue HC job in 2017

Like who? Out of curiosity, name one guy off his tree that had a better career in the NFL as a HC than most Bills coaches. Not that Bills coaches have been all world, but the coaching tree in the NFL from BB is just that bad.

The BB coaching tree is not good, never has been. Like I said earlier in this thread, when are people going to realize the genius in Foxboro is BB and not his assistants? Doesn't matter who leaves, who comes in, who comes back...the Pats never miss a beat. Yet those coaches go out into the world as HC's and they fail over and over again. And several have failed bad like McDaniels, Mangini, Crommel, and Weis. O'Brien is the only guy that you can't say he has failed bad yet because he is just getting started, but he did get destroyed by BB and a 3rd string QB last week in embarrassing fashion.

McDaniels wasnt even a good OC for the Rams after he got fired from Denver. He was fired by the Rams after 1 season before crawling back to NE. So he has failed not only as a HC but as an OC outside of NE. Double fail.

They're all small sample sizes.

Al Groh went 9-7 in his 1 season as an NFL HC

Bill O'Brien is 18-14 so far

As far as what I'm considering 'most of the Bills HC's' I'm just looking at our record since Levy left. Since '98 we're 126-162. That's literally like going 7-9 every year for 18 years. It's also worth noting that the average tenure of a Bills HC is 2.57 years over that same span. And yes, that is discounting Perry Fewel's interim job entirely.

EDIT: for statistical accuracy, Rex is currently the HC and his tenure should be removed from the average since it is not completed yet. THe average tenure of a Bills HC since 1998 is 2.83 years discounting the interim job.

Edited by BuffaloHokie13

• Replies 95
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

if the bills, hire McDaniel's it will be another 17 years before the bills do anything.. he was a complete unmitigated disaster in Denver... WHY would anyone want someone that has that on his resume?? PASS.

They would be much better giving someone with no previous head coaching experience, at least then there is a chance we hit on it.

Ask the fans of the Broncos what they think of him... we don't need a retread that had absolutely no clue the only other time he was a head coach.

Is this the same guy that coached the Broncos to the bottom of their division while dumping all their decent players and cheating?

http://www.denverpost.com/2015/01/27/patriots-josh-mcdaniels-admits-to-mistakes-when-broncos-coach/

He was pretty young then. That was 9 years ago. Not saying he will succeed this time around but he is definitely one of the best offensive minds out there

You guys are the first to ever call this Reagan Republican a hippie. Congratulations. I do like classic rock though (Beatles, Stones, Led Zep, Doors, Who etc.).

If you guys do not believe that negativity and the vultures swirling around a team can effect a team then I guess you do not believe in sports psychology and we disagree. The same thing clearly happens in every day life if you have a negative and horrible work environment.

No - I am not blaming "the fans." I do not believe that the Sullys (Sullen) and negative Nancys of the world (and on this site) represent "the fans" - you guys just happen to be the loudest and seem to make it your life's mission to attack Rex.

Just my two cents.

LOL "life's mission." Rex is making his own bed (I supported the hire vocally, and now I don't). And IMO you used to be a more balanced and substantive in your posts. Now you come across at times like a defensive homer.

if the bills, hire McDaniel's it will be another 17 years before the bills do anything.. he was a complete unmitigated disaster in Denver... WHY would anyone want someone that has that on his resume?? PASS.

They would be much better giving someone with no previous head coaching experience, at least then there is a chance we hit on it.

Ask the fans of the Broncos what they think of him... we don't need a retread that had absolutely no clue the only other time he was a head coach.

He didn't ever get the QB he wanted, and he had the Spygate 2 disaster as well. i think he's probably learned from it - but who knows.

I am so wary of guys who are assistant coaches with really good head coaches. Belichick's coaching tree sucks. Pete Carroll's looks like crap. It's so much easier to be a coordinator for a great head coach. Such a different ballgame to be the head guy.

And I think David Shaw of Stanford is the next great NFL coach. He kills it at a school where he doesn't need to recruit trash and whose players thrive at a great academic school.

I am so wary of guys who are assistant coaches with really good head coaches. Belichick's coaching tree sucks. Pete Carroll's looks like crap. It's so much easier to be a coordinator for a great head coach. Such a different ballgame to be the head guy.

And I think David Shaw of Stanford is the next great NFL coach. He kills it at a school where he doesn't need to recruit trash and whose players thrive at a great academic school.

...and maybe HOF QB's? Hard to tell who's responsible there, even after the first 3 games. Long term???

Bill is 64 years old. He's said publicly that he doesn't want to coach past 70 (I think that was the number he said). Can Josh or Matt wait 6 years for a HC position? I wouldn't blame either for leaving. I doubt both stick around that long, but one of them may.

As for Josh McDaniels specifically, I think (hope) he learned from his first go around in Denver as a HC, and will be a better coach the second time around. But no one will know for sure.

He is the top candidate on my list. I firmly believe that he's going to excel in his next chance and a HC. He will be the hottest name on the market though. You'll really have to sell him.

I agree 100% he's got that system on lock on offense maybe we can get Garrop with him. I believe he's learned from his previous experience and is chopping at the mouth for redemption. New age coach for new age game . These guys scheme wrs open on a regular I guarantee he has alot to do with it. Give Josh a good D Cord Like Tyrel Austin which BTW is from the Schwartz tree of coaching and we get the best of both worlds..

This time around both candidates will be great I'm also a big fan of Patricia he reminds of a Bill clone.. dude has that no nonsense demeanor along with being heavily involved with rebuilding they're Defense

They're all small sample sizes.

Al Groh went 9-7 in his 1 season as an NFL HC

Bill O'Brien is 18-14 so far

As far as what I'm considering 'most of the Bills HC's' I'm just looking at our record since Levy left. Since '98 we're 126-162. That's literally like going 7-9 every year for 18 years. It's also worth noting that the average tenure of a Bills HC is 2.57 years over that same span. And yes, that is discounting Perry Fewel's interim job entirely.

EDIT: for statistical accuracy, Rex is currently the HC and his tenure should be removed from the average since it is not completed yet. THe average tenure of a Bills HC since 1998 is 2.83 years discounting the interim job.

Like I said, jury is still out on O'Brien who just got schooled and embarrassed by Belichick last week using a 3rd string QB.

So literally, the single most successful coach to ever come out from under BB tree is Al Groh who had one season and went 9-7. And really, he's truthfully out of the Bill Parcels coaching tree, not BB. He was under Parcels for 13 years and under Belichick for one. Everyone else has been a disaster at the NFL level.

So again, my point is there is literally a terrible track record of assistants under Belichick going on to being NFL HC's. If O'Brien ends up good, he will literally be the first real successful HC to come out from under Belichick ever. All of which just further proves the genius in Foxboro is BB, not the assistants. So again, McDaniels is not very attractive to me at all given he failed BADLY in his only 2 other jobs outside NE...Den HC where he was fired, and then Rams OC where he was fired after 1 season. Disaster at both stops before crawling back to NE where BB made him look viable again.

Who knows, maybe he will do better this next time around, I mean he literally can't do worse...but track records of him and other assistants suggest that is not that likely.

Like I said, jury is still out on O'Brien who just got schooled and embarrassed by Belichick last week using a 3rd string QB.

So literally, the single most successful coach to ever come out from under BB tree is Al Groh who had one season and went 9-7. And really, he's truthfully out of the Bill Parcels coaching tree, not BB. He was under Parcels for 13 years and under Belichick for one. Everyone else has been a disaster at the NFL level.

So again, my point is there is literally a terrible track record of assistants under Belichick going on to being NFL HC's. If O'Brien ends up good, he will literally be the first real successful HC to come out from under Belichick ever. All of which just further proves the genius in Foxboro is BB, not the assistants. So again, McDaniels is not very attractive to me at all given he failed BADLY in his only 2 other jobs outside NE...Den HC where he was fired, and then Rams OC where he was fired after 1 season. Disaster at both stops before crawling back to NE where BB made him look viable again.

Who knows, maybe he will do better this next time around, I mean he literally can't do worse...but track records of him and other assistants suggest that is not that likely.

BOB went 9-7 in his first two years with horrific QBing and already made the playoffs once. By the Buffalo Bills standard of success, he's already there.

BOB went 9-7 in his first two years with horrific QBing and already made the playoffs once. By the Buffalo Bills standard of success, he's already there.

How is 9-7 equal to 2 seasons? He was the Jets HC for one season before going to the college ranks.

And again, its factually incorrect he is in the Belichick coaching tree as he spent 13 years under Parcels as the head coach and only one year under Belichick. To call him a success based on one 9-7 record is already a stretch...to further say he is really from the BB coaching tree is an even further stretch considering his previous 13 years before Belichick under Parcells.

So once again, this is a very poor example of BB assistants going on to have successful NFL HC careers when said assistants have a career win total of 9 and learned from a different HC in the first place and never coached in NE.

How is 9-7 equal to 2 seasons? He was the Jets HC for one season before going to the college ranks.

And again, its factually incorrect he is in the Belichick coaching tree as he spent 13 years under Parcels as the head coach and only one year under Belichick. To call him a success based on one 9-7 record is already a stretch...to further say he is really from the BB coaching tree is an even further stretch considering his previous 13 years before Belichick under Parcells.

So once again, this is a very poor example of BB assistants going on to have successful NFL HC careers when said assistants have a career win total of 9 and learned from a different HC in the first place and never coached in NE.

Bill O'Brien was never the Jets HC, and as stated above, you consider him a part of the BB coaching tree, so I'm unsure what's going on here.

BOB went 9-7 in 2014 and 2015 with the Texans with a playoff berth with terrible quarterbacking. That's success. Many fans, including myself, would kill for that kind of result at this point. Even with a singular "embarrassment" to the Pats (like that doesn't happen to the Bills 2x a year in the last millennia).

Edited by jmc12290

The Hoody doesn't have a coaching tree, because the Hoody is a cheater.

The Patriots know what their opponents are going to do before they do it. The results are tangible--4 championships with a 6 round QB and a 3-0 record with 2 backup quarterbacks this year... but the effects of this system have much broader implications. Due to compartmentalization, the number of people within the Patriots organization that understand the scope of the cheating is likely limited. So, if you're some middle of the road coordinator (Matt Patricia, Charlie Weiss, Romeo Crennel, Bill O Brien, Josh McDaniels, etc.) you probably know that the opponents signals/walkthroughs/locker room conversations are recorded and analyzed, but the direct benefit of that intel is limited to those on a "need to know" basis.

None of these coordinators actually LEARN how to call a game, or run a team--they're like Julia Styles in a Bourne movie: they've seen all the action behind the scenes, but have no clue how to use it in the real world.

Lol... McDaniels was fired after EMBARRASSINGLY attempting to set up his own surveillance system in Denver. It was humiliating, and the Broncos had major egg on their face.

Or is this one of those boards that lives by the mantra "I wish the Bills could cheat as good as the Patriots!"