NFL Television ratings

jaybee

Goodell has taken the game out of the players hands and put it into the OFFICIALS. Casual fans get turned off by the officiating crew deciding games withe 30 flags a game. If that Lorenzo Alexander preseason PF sack took place by in a playoff game with the Patriots and Broncos maybe then people would raise a stink about how bad is has gotten.

I agree, the more you understand the game of football the more you'll dislike today's NFL. Nothing makes sense anymore. How about TT being forced to leave the game for concussion protocol due to a blow to the head, yet no roughing the passer flag? It's confusing, and downright disgusting at times.

• Replies 346
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

A lot of good content here. To expand on a couple points on and off the field::

TIME:

Today's extracurricular activities have expanded as much or more than the NFL expansion teams and multiple day and night broadcasts.

Every day after school, and often on weekends, there is a practice or games for school sports, or activities like dance, cheer leading, marching bands, part time jobs, etc. so parents are scrambling to juggle their work demands as well as multiple family activities.

My FOUR YEAR OLD GRANDSON has soccer practice! It is for fun, and only 45 minutes long, but that means Mom or Dad (or Gramps :nana:) has to get him there, make sure he is hydrated and fed, on top of everything else that is part of family life. As I said it is a fun soccer league, no games just basic physical and social skill instruction, but is takes time

I have actually sent a specific game schedule to my family for sports viewing times (football and World Series) when I will not be available, except for 911 calls! I do not even WANT to watch the NFL all day Sunday, then Monday night and Thursday night.

WORK:

I notice an awful lot of people HAVE to carry phones for their job, 24/7. They are not just all zombie smart phone addicts.

OFFICIALS: Oh, just for the hell of it be consistent! The judgment calls are so unfair it is sickening.

SUBSTANCE ABUSE:

Take marijuana off the list and suspensions would probably decrease.

COMMENTATORS: One game last Sunday, someone actually said that a quarterback had learn to be a faster decision maker when making decisions. What?

STATS:

Without statistics for everything that could possibly be measured, fantasy football and Vegas would suffer. :bag:

GENERAL:

The NFL is like the television networks. A show is popular, create a spinoff, from Happy Days to CIS, it is inevitable.

Sadly, the more it gets watered down, the poorer the product.

I think there's something to it…but it has been something developing slowly in the background over a long time….and I think there will be a quickening if they keep things going the way they have

FWIW: Here are some things that I feel may have contributed

Too many commercials

Too much over-production of the telecast…robots, country singers and stupid intro's, extra special reports from female reporters (Fox and ESPN are main culprits). Everything over the top.

Too many nationally televised games (MNF used to be a huge format and an event…too hard to get the marquis match ups and many games are blowouts...everything has a watered down feel now yet they still broadcast it like it's a huge event)

Too much tinkering with the game for the purists

With the CTE backstory, many parents no longer want to glorify this game to their kids

Too corporate and too political: this game is part of people's weekends and they don't need to cross the streams

Disney/ABC/ESPN: Dancing with the freaking stars being plugged on the NFL telecast. The pink bow was enough for awareness…now it's a joke.

Game is regressing, Talent is watered down…just not enough top quality QB's to go around. We know that too well.

FANTASY: those with fantasy teams only want to watch NFL Red Zone…they do not care about engaging a single game - just stats

I would add the suspension nonsense.

Personally, it doesn't bother me that much because I know what it is about........labor/management posturing.

But some fans HATE it. They HATE Goodell because of it.

Whether they are cognizant of why it's happening and resent the league for lessening the quality of their product to try to save money in future labor negotiations.........or aren't.......they just HATE it.

Somewhat related, but not counting Bills games, I very rarely even try to watch a neutral party NFL game live in real time.

I just can't do it. Too many stoppages, reviews, commercials. It's disjointed and not particularly enjoyable.

I'll record the game, let an hour or so get played...and then start watching.

I can eliminate all commercials and halftime this way while still getting to the end around the same time as in real time.

Another thing I've noticed these days: there are a ton of really bad announcing crews.

Jim Nantz and Phil Simms are horrible in my opinion, and they are the CBS #1 crew.

Somewhat related, but not counting Bills games, I very rarely even try to watch a neutral party NFL game live in real time.

I just can't do it. Too many stoppages, reviews, commercials. It's disjointed and not particularly enjoyable.

I'll record the game, let an hour or so get played...and then start watching.

I can eliminate all commercials and halftime this way while still getting to the end around the same time as in real time.

Another thing I've noticed these days: there are a ton of really bad announcing crews.

Jim Nantz and Phil Simms are horrible in my opinion, and they are the CBS #1 crew.

Also, if you have gamepass you can check out opposing teams games in shortened/condensed form to keep up on what the opposition is doing.

Small thing......but yet another thing.

I watch less live games because of it.

I think there's something to it…but it has been something developing slowly in the background over a long time….and I think there will be a quickening if they keep things going the way they have

Too many commercials

Too much over-production of the telecast…robots, country singers and stupid intro's, extra special reports from female reporters (Fox and ESPN are main culprits). Everything over the top.

Too many nationally televised games (MNF used to be a huge format and an event…too hard to get the marquis match ups and many games are blowouts...everything has a watered down feel now yet they still broadcast it like it's a huge event)

With the CTE backstory, many parents no longer want to glorify this game to their kids

Too corporate and too political: this game is part of people's weekends and they don't need to cross the streams

Disney/ABC/ESPN: Dancing with the freaking stars being plugged on the NFL telecast. The pink bow was enough for awareness…now it's a joke.

Game is regressing, Talent is watered down…just not enough top quality QB's to go around. We know that too well.

FANTASY: those with fantasy teams only want to watch NFL Red Zone…they do not care about engaging a single game - just stats

One team winning too much....

One team winning too much....

Yep. That contributes. For me personally, I used to watch every game possible where there was at least one AFC East team playing. Now I refuse to watch Patriot games unless I think the other team has a real good shot at beating them. I'm literally just sick of watching them win and knowing there is no way we are going to compete for the division yet another year. I prefer to not watch and stay happy instead of getting pissed off yet again.

The Biggest Thing For Me: On the majority of plays, if you watch other parts of the field closely besides the ball carrier, someone on the field could be called for a penalty. Most never get called. I get that. Who wants to stop the game? Yet the penalties do seem to get called at times when they could change games. And often times it will be a bad call or at least very questionable. And then there are too many situations when a penalty should be called and it isn't. That is friggin maddening and reminds me how unfair this sport really is mainly because of how bad the officiating is.

And you won't see the announcers pointing out those situations where a penalty should have been called. They keep their mouths shut and maintain the illusion that the game is really fair and that the refs are doing a great job.

Just think about how much officiating can impact a game and even a season for a team. One call can decide whether a team makes the playoffs or not. One call can decide whether a team ultimately ends up with home field advantage for a playoff game. One call can end a season.

I can only speak for myself but I like the NFL a little less every year (and its not just from the Bills). I despise the way that the league is run. Every decision is reactionary, the officiating is terrible and the quality of person playing the game is at an all-time low IMO. It is like the early 2000's NBA. I find myself watching less and less NFL games that don't involve the Bills. I'm just worn out with the league. College football on the other hand I can watch all day and night. I much prefer the college game to the NFL at the moment and that hasn't been the case until the last 4 or 5 years. The NBA has grown on me as well. I am as likely to watch 2 NBA teams that I don't care about (especially if they are good) as I am 2 NFL teams that I am indifferent about.

All this.

Ive not only given up my tickets, but I certainly dont watch any other team but the Bills (and am probably tuning them out now as well). I hate just about every part of the way this league is run. To really illustrate my point, thanks to work I have an all-access pass to Bills games. I can get on the field or in the locker room whenever I want. I tried it out last week, and it was a blast (before the game). Im not even going to tomorrow's game, and wont be using the pass at all this year (unless they need me for something work related).

I watch college football religiously now, and am warming up to the NBA even though Ive never played or followed basketball, just because I really like Silver and the way he is running that league.

I agree with a lot of what is said above. I have been an enormous fan of NFL football for many years, but this season, I see my interest waning a bit. Reasons for me:

1. The Bills are a dumpster fire. It's hard to be too interested when my own team is so bad.

2. My fantasy team this year is also a dumpster fire.

3. Officiating. It seems like every game involves phantom pass interference or personal foul penalties on third and fourth downs that keep drives alive and hand games over to teams that don't deserve it. It is beyond frustrating and takes a lot of the enjoyment and satisfaction out of the game for me. For example, the phantom Pass Interference call against the Bills in London against JAX last year that extended the JAX drive and cost the Bills the game. A post above made me think of this one.

4. Concussions and injuries. I used to cheer the big hits, but now I think about the impact it has on these guys brains. Same for knees, ankles, ribs, etc. Guys are too big, strong and fast. I find myself cringing at times watching these guys go down every game or playing with obvious injuries. I want Sammy Watkins on the field, but I cringe when I see him limping around the field. I played football back in the day and loved every minute of it, but would not let my kids play.

5. Suspensions and criminal activity. I hate suspensions, because talented players I want to see are not on the field. On the flip side, I find it difficult to watch guys who have committed domestic violence play. How can you cheer for Adrian Peterson, who beat a young child? or Greg Hardy? The drug infractions don't bother me that much, other than the fact that these guys are stupid enough to be repeat offenders when they know they are being tested.

6. Greed. I am getting sick and tired of the league holding cities hostage for taxpayers to fund new stadiums while revenues soar for the owners. Plus, these new stadiums are over the top with amenities that are totally unnecessary and only increase the cost of the game for the fans.

7. Saturation. Sunday afternoon, Sunday night, Monday night, Thursday night, etc. It's getting to be too much.

8. Statistics. Every year there are new stats tracked for everything. We used to track sacks. Now we track QB hits. Do those include sacks or are those simply hits that did not result in a sack? This is much worse in baseball, but the concept is the same. At some point, I simply want to watch and enjoy the game and not see and hear about every statistic that could possibly be considered.

9. Announcers. There are no more than 16 games in a week. You would think that they would be able to find 32 competent individuals to call a game (one announcer and one color guy per game). Beyond the top couple of pairs at each network, these guys are horrible. When I turn on a Bills game and here Spero Dedes' voice, I want to throw up. They overstate the obvious but also make several ridiculous comments every telecast. The miss things that most casual fans catch. Just awful.

10. Commercials. There is no continuity to a game with constant commercial breaks. I really hate it when they cut to commercial after a score, then show the kickoff, then take another commercial break immediately after. It is ridiculous.

I could go on, but 10 is more than enough to make the point!

Post of the year.

I can only speak for myself but I like the NFL a little less every year (and its not just from the Bills). I despise the way that the league is run. Every decision is reactionary, the officiating is terrible and the quality of person playing the game is at an all-time low IMO. It is like the early 2000's NBA. I find myself watching less and less NFL games that don't involve the Bills. I'm just worn out with the league. College football on the other hand I can watch all day and night. I much prefer the college game to the NFL at the moment and that hasn't been the case until the last 4 or 5 years. The NBA has grown on me as well. I am as likely to watch 2 NBA teams that I don't care about (especially if they are good) as I am 2 NFL teams that I am indifferent about.

Agree on all of this. College football is so much more fun to watch. Guys playing hard as hell all game long.

Got to agree with the NBA too. It is a much better product today. Teams like GS are helping casual fans get back into it.

The NFL has got to stop with all Bologna when it comes to their name etc...it is turning people off.

Bottom line is the NFL is putting out a garbage product these days. They get more like the WWE every year with their own agenda. Obvious favoritism towards specific teams in each game are ruining this game.

I agree with this:

3. Officiating. It seems like every game involves phantom pass interference or personal foul penalties on third and fourth downs that keep drives alive and hand games over to teams that don't deserve it. It is beyond frustrating and takes a lot of the enjoyment and satisfaction out of the game for me. For example, the phantom Pass Interference call against the Bills in London against JAX last year that extended the JAX drive and cost the Bills the game. A post above made me think of this one.

Go back and look at the Jets game and how often their WRs pushed off or held, but were not flagged but then we get flagged for barely making incidental contact that is mutual. NE the other night (& almost always) get stopped on 3rd & then there is almost always some BS call to either give them the first down or replay of the 3rd. It is a joke & people are not blind.

I'll say it again, the NFL is putting out a garbage product. Soon cartoons will be more realistic than the NFL games/results.

Too many commercials

Post of the Year.

:thumbsup::worthy::beer:

Like many on here and most diehard fans I know... I watch less and less football every year. And for many of the same reasons we've all listed.

The officiating is absurd and most games you turn off with the feeling the game was rigged. Why watch a rigged sport?

All the coverage is for the same crappy big market teams. I'm so sick of seeing a bad Dallas team play a bad Giants team. Why watch that crap?

Over saturation with games on Thursday which affects game plans and "fairness", Sunday night, and Monday. Extra MNF games. Used to be MNF was must watch because it was the only prime time game of the week, now you have at least 3 to choose from.

Why watch games, especially when it's usually 2 teams you don't care about, that get forced down your tube every week, and the fix is in with blatantly bad officiating. Add in poor announcers, commercials every 2 minutes, and generally poor play ...and its just not that worth the time.

I'm sure you're right but thats probably a fairly stable percentage

I am uncertain how it all works. I've never gotten a call from a ratings geek. They probably check thru the wires these days but I watch via air signal...when I watch. Just something to keep an eye on. I was surprised to hear the story on this.

The Neilson thing still exists, but I'm sure there are other ways. About a year or so ago my wife agreed to do it. She had a journal that she filled in every time she watched a show. Once a week or so they called her and she read them her journal. That went on for a month I believe. There is no way for them to tell with OTA and Satellite. Even with cable, all the signals come in through the wire and your box filters out the channel you select. With things like PPV they could gather stats if they wanted to. But not normal cable.

Edited by CodeMonkey

The NFL tried to expand beyond the emotional fan. People used to be personally invested in their teams - that's largely changed. Problem is the NFL now has to rely on the casual fan in order to keep the machine going - well that fan will leave you when their bored. They should have spent more time slowly building on the generational fan.

The game is practically nothing like the one I fell in love with as a young man. The penalties are just so inconsistent that it makes the viewing extremely difficult to follow.

I'd say a combination of A) Finally hit the saturation point with having a full season of ( mostly bad) TNF . Games are all day Sun, then Mon. Thursday night is just too much NFL in prime time in a given week.

B) A very contentious political election year, and folks hate these BLM supporting anthem protests -plus the unrelenting coverage of them and focusing on them by the media. The media angle seems to completely support these protests and never mention the other side of the story ( support for law enforcement). That is a huge turnoff to much of the population and I think we are seeing large amounts of " casual fans" that usually would watch games deciding to change the channel. Sure , us die yards are still watching but their are lots of fans that don't feel that way and are fine doing something else. Just my opinion, but it seems the most obvious culprit. The most different from previous years. The NFL has been overproduced and over commercialized , as well as over- infused with "pop culture" for many years now.