NFL Television ratings

jaybee

They (ratings)seem to be slipping early on here in the 2016-17 season. I'm guessing most here are not in this population of folks tuning out. They are saying its the Kaepernick thing and the NFL encouraging the Anthem antics. Who knows? Games have been one-sided too...doesn't help. A lot of cord cutters (of cable and satellite ) may be a contributor as well. At some point this may come to a head from those paying 700K for a 30 second spot. Myself..I've tuned out for none-of-the-above but instead due to the lack of flow to the games and an anemic pace due to excessive commercials.

Just an observation on my part, thats all.

“The league has now seen an apple-to-apples ratings drop in each of the seven prime-time games this year,”

http://dailycaller.com/2016/09/21/nfl-tv-ratings-down-again/

GO BILLS !

• Replies 346
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

They probably don't count people watching it illegally.

I'm sure you're right but thats probably a fairly stable percentage

Yeah, this probably means nothing. Also, I always wonder how they factor people who watch it at bars or other places.

I am uncertain how it all works. I've never gotten a call from a ratings geek. They probably check thru the wires these days but I watch via air signal...when I watch. Just something to keep an eye on. I was surprised to hear the story on this.

I think there's something to it…but it has been something developing slowly in the background over a long time….and I think there will be a quickening if they keep things going the way they have

FWIW: Here are some things that I feel may have contributed

Too many commercials

Too much over-production of the telecast…robots, country singers and stupid intro's, extra special reports from female reporters (Fox and ESPN are main culprits). Everything over the top.

Too many nationally televised games (MNF used to be a huge format and an event…too hard to get the marquis match ups and many games are blowouts...everything has a watered down feel now yet they still broadcast it like it's a huge event)

Too much tinkering with the game for the purists

With the CTE backstory, many parents no longer want to glorify this game to their kids

Too corporate and too political: this game is part of people's weekends and they don't need to cross the streams

Disney/ABC/ESPN: Dancing with the freaking stars being plugged on the NFL telecast. The pink bow was enough for awareness…now it's a joke.

Game is regressing, Talent is watered down…just not enough top quality QB's to go around. We know that too well.

FANTASY: those with fantasy teams only want to watch NFL Red Zone…they do not care about engaging a single game - just stats

I can only speak for myself but I like the NFL a little less every year (and its not just from the Bills). I despise the way that the league is run. Every decision is reactionary, the officiating is terrible and the quality of person playing the game is at an all-time low IMO. It is like the early 2000's NBA. I find myself watching less and less NFL games that don't involve the Bills. I'm just worn out with the league. College football on the other hand I can watch all day and night. I much prefer the college game to the NFL at the moment and that hasn't been the case until the last 4 or 5 years. The NBA has grown on me as well. I am as likely to watch 2 NBA teams that I don't care about (especially if they are good) as I am 2 NFL teams that I am indifferent about.

I think there's something to it…but it has been something developing slowly in the background over a long time….and I think there will be a quickening if they keep things going the way they have

Too many commercials

Too much over-production of the telecast…robots, country singers and stupid intro's, extra special reports from female reporters (Fox and ESPN are main culprits). Everything over the top.

Too many nationally televised games (MNF used to be a huge format and an event…too hard to get the marquis match ups and many games are blowouts...everything has a watered down feel now yet they still broadcast it like it's a huge event)

With the CTE backstory, many parents no longer want to glorify this game to their kids

Too corporate and too political: this game is part of people's weekends and they don't need to cross the streams

Disney/ABC/ESPN: Dancing with the freaking stars being plugged on the NFL telecast. The pink bow was enough for awareness…now it's a joke.

Game is regressing, Talent is watered down…just not enough top quality QB's to go around. We know that too well.

FANTASY: those with fantasy teams only want to watch NFL Red Zone…they do not care about engaging a single game - just stats

Excellent take. Thank you. goodpost.gif

Edited by jaybee

I think there's something to itbut it has been something developing slowly in the background over a long time.and I think there will be a quickening if they keep things going the way they have

Too many commercials

Too much over-production of the telecastrobots, country singers and stupid intro's, extra special reports from female reporters (Fox and ESPN are main culprits). Everything over the top.

Too many nationally televised games (MNF used to be a huge format and an eventtoo hard to get the marquis match ups and many games are blowouts...everything has a watered down feel now yet they still broadcast it like it's a huge event)

Disney/ABC/ESPN: Dancing with the freaking stars being plugged on the NFL telecast. The pink bow was enough for awarenessnow it's a joke.

Game is regressing, Talent is watered downjust not enough top quality QB's to go around. We know that too well.

FANTASY: those with fantasy teams only want to watch NFL Red Zonethey do not care about engaging a single game - just stats

Good stuff here, think that you have hit on a lot of it

I can only speak for myself but I like the NFL a little less every year (and its not just from the Bills). I despise the way that the league is run. Every decision is reactionary, the officiating is terrible and the quality of person playing the game is at an all-time low IMO. It is like the early 2000's NBA. I find myself watching less and less NFL games that don't involve the Bills. I'm just worn out with the league. College football on the other hand I can watch all day and night. I much prefer the college game to the NFL at the moment and that hasn't been the case until the last 4 or 5 years. The NBA has grown on me as well. I am as likely to watch 2 NBA teams that I don't care about (especially if they are good) as I am 2 NFL teams that I am indifferent about.

Good call on the officiating - huge factor. Too many games in recent years decided on horrible calls.

Edited by filthymcnasty08

People are getting bored with the product.

I'll add one to McNasty's fine list:

It's football 24-7 now. Too many talking heads, too many shows, too much coverage. Too many national games with the same teams and the playoffs always have the same teams. There's no newness, no suspense.

Oh wow. Aaron Rodgers and Tom Brady in a Super Bowl ?! Absolutely astonishing.

People are getting bored with the product.

I'll add one to McNasty's fine list:

It's football 24-7 now. Too many talking heads, too many shows, too much coverage. Too many national games with the same teams and the playoffs always have the same teams. There's no newness, no suspense.

Oh wow. Aaron Rodgers and Tom Brady in a Super Bowl ?! Absolutely astonishing.

Another huge point - the amount of media space to fill ensures that most of it is absolute crap

I'm older now but there was NOTHING more exciting to me than flipping on the TV Sunday morning and hearing Brent Musberger say with passion:

You are looking live!

Then John Madden and Pat Summerall would call the lead game on CBS…pure class. And teams that were developed and crafted over many drafts with many of the same returning players would play their BITTER rivals (Think Bills /Fins in the Kelly Marino years)….and if it were a Monday nighter…those players would have the game circled for months ahead as a reminder to absolutely bring it for the national crowd. It was sacred.

ESPN got involved and, before Disney, they advanced the experience big time….we got Berman and Tommy and it became the gold standard for pre-game. They also became the place to be for the evening highlights. It's unwatchable now. We do not need 19 co-hosts trying to out dress each other. It used to be an offshoot of journalism. Like everything else it's now glam and celebrity. Berman keeping it real: he looks sh-ttier every year and I love him for it.

It peaked for me somewhere in the late 90s

I agree with a lot of what is said above. I have been an enormous fan of NFL football for many years, but this season, I see my interest waning a bit. Reasons for me:

1. The Bills are a dumpster fire. It's hard to be too interested when my own team is so bad.

2. My fantasy team this year is also a dumpster fire.

3. Officiating. It seems like every game involves phantom pass interference or personal foul penalties on third and fourth downs that keep drives alive and hand games over to teams that don't deserve it. It is beyond frustrating and takes a lot of the enjoyment and satisfaction out of the game for me. For example, the phantom Pass Interference call against the Bills in London against JAX last year that extended the JAX drive and cost the Bills the game. A post above made me think of this one.

4. Concussions and injuries. I used to cheer the big hits, but now I think about the impact it has on these guys brains. Same for knees, ankles, ribs, etc. Guys are too big, strong and fast. I find myself cringing at times watching these guys go down every game or playing with obvious injuries. I want Sammy Watkins on the field, but I cringe when I see him limping around the field. I played football back in the day and loved every minute of it, but would not let my kids play.

5. Suspensions and criminal activity. I hate suspensions, because talented players I want to see are not on the field. On the flip side, I find it difficult to watch guys who have committed domestic violence play. How can you cheer for Adrian Peterson, who beat a young child? or Greg Hardy? The drug infractions don't bother me that much, other than the fact that these guys are stupid enough to be repeat offenders when they know they are being tested.

6. Greed. I am getting sick and tired of the league holding cities hostage for taxpayers to fund new stadiums while revenues soar for the owners. Plus, these new stadiums are over the top with amenities that are totally unnecessary and only increase the cost of the game for the fans.

7. Saturation. Sunday afternoon, Sunday night, Monday night, Thursday night, etc. It's getting to be too much.

8. Statistics. Every year there are new stats tracked for everything. We used to track sacks. Now we track QB hits. Do those include sacks or are those simply hits that did not result in a sack? This is much worse in baseball, but the concept is the same. At some point, I simply want to watch and enjoy the game and not see and hear about every statistic that could possibly be considered.

9. Announcers. There are no more than 16 games in a week. You would think that they would be able to find 32 competent individuals to call a game (one announcer and one color guy per game). Beyond the top couple of pairs at each network, these guys are horrible. When I turn on a Bills game and here Spero Dedes' voice, I want to throw up. They overstate the obvious but also make several ridiculous comments every telecast. The miss things that most casual fans catch. Just awful.

10. Commercials. There is no continuity to a game with constant commercial breaks. I really hate it when they cut to commercial after a score, then show the kickoff, then take another commercial break immediately after. It is ridiculous.

I could go on, but 10 is more than enough to make the point!

They probably don't count people watching it illegally.

This and they got too many damn commercials, plus the fact sometimes we all watch games in groups, or at bars and with streams bc we live out of state. Also if your not a "Nielsen Home" then your ratings dont even get counted, so theres also that

The product just has too many weaknesses. Last nights Texans vs Patriots matchup was the perfect example. There are too many teams like the Texans that need to be relegated to a lower level European soccer style. I don't care how great of a coach the hoodie may be, there was a time when a third string rookie would never have defeated even the worst NFL team. It's even more disgusting considering what they paid to get Osweiler. The stats for both teams from that game are pure trash. The product simply stinks across the board, with the exception of the top teams. I also feel the need to comment regarding posts claiming guilt over CTE, and other injuries. Football is at a weird stage where even many fans say that'd never let their kids play. I have a little theory regarding CTE and injuries. What if both the pros and college actually gave more than just lip service to performance enhancing drugs? I can imagine a scandal greater than baseball. CTE and injuries would still occur, but what if we had normal sized humans playing this game? The injuries would be far less frequent and severe. I'm not putting down all the hard work many players put in to stay fit, but I'm also not naive enough to believe steroids/peds aren't insanely widespread in football. P.s far too many guys injuried hurt the product too. We see tons of guys going down without even getting hit week after week.

Edited by DriveFor1Outta5

Goodell has taken the game out of the players hands and put it into the OFFICIALS. Casual fans get turned off by the officiating crew deciding games withe 30 flags a game. If that Lorenzo Alexander preseason PF sack took place by in a playoff game with the Patriots and Broncos maybe then people would raise a stink about how bad is has gotten.