Did Gilmore suck tonight?

Thurmal34

They loved their matchup of their slot guy (81) on Gilmore and used it to the point of collecting fake penalties (the 3rd and 11 fake holding) and then some. Gilmore got clowned tonight. Need better than that from him.

Edited by Thurmal34

• Replies 124
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

For the islands they were on, with the lack of rush they were helped with, and the quality of throws made.... Gilmore didn't play a good game, but truly a bad corner would've looked much worse.

The juicy debate was more about whether he's "elite" than whether he's bad. I'd expect more from an elite corner in such a big game, particularly an elite corner who doesn't make game-changing plays and his selling point is supposed to be consistency.

Edited by Aaron

Sanders and Irvin both pointed out that NY took advantage of the size difference. Fitz threw some passes that no defender could stop but others were they should have made the play. Aggravating to watch them lose the one on one battles.

The game plan was destined to fail putting our small DBs up against 3 large receivers one on one all night with apparently no safety help. Gilmore, however had chances to make a play but didn't look for the ball. He and Darby both kept getting beat on comeback routes which I assume is because they didn't have safety help up top most of the time. I've never seen Fitz just lob the ball like he did with so much success.

The game plan was destined to fail putting our small DBs up against 3 large receivers one on one all night with apparently no safety help. Gilmore, however had chances to make a play but didn't look for the ball. He and Darby both kept getting beat on comeback routes which I assume is because they didn't have safety help up top most of the time. I've never seen Fitz just lob the ball like he did with so much success.

If your defensive game plan is to put your corners on an island vs receivers who are 4 to 5 inches taller and generally just bigger in every way than the corners, you have lost before the game even started.

Fat Rex is a joke of a coach....never liked him with the Jets, hated that they hired him here, can't wait until he is gone.

As far as Gilmore is concerned, he isn't as bad as he looked tonight, but if he thinks he's getting 17 mill per year from the Bills or anyone for that matter, he is dreaming.

Great minds think alike.......sad that two fans can figure this out, yet our defensive genius coach cannot.

Great minds think alike.......sad that two fans can figure this out, yet our defensive genius coach cannot.

I think it's one thing to start with that game plan. I would never have guessed Fitz would be able to hit half the throws he made tonight. Accurate, good timing, putting the ball in a spot to allow the receiver to make the play, it's just not the Fitz we remember.

So I don't fault Rex for the original strategy but he really needed to change it at least by half time. I can't believe at one point we were actually ahead in this game.

He was terrible and made no plays that I can remember.

Could be that they (he and Darby) don't fit the system

He was bad. Darby was bad also. Rex's scheme sucks very, very, very badly.

Yep, putting guys an island all the time is a great way to expose your CBs :thumbsup:

In this scheme against a 2016 offense you could have Ed Reed, Revis in his prime, Ronnie Lott, and Sherman back there. It doesn't matter. They got confused on a bunch of plays and it was easy to see.

You nailed this one, Rex is outdated :worthy:

Gilmore still doesn't know how to tackle.

I don't want the next GM to be throwing crazy money at this guy.

:thumbsup:

Edited by Buffalo Barbarian

Not sure if S help would have helped, but the D backfield got torched all night. You could *see* the open receiver running in the stadium, then would watch Fitz wind up and hit him. It was painful. Pretty sure the Jets had 176 First Downs tonight...

Not sure if S help would have helped, but the D backfield got torched all night. You could *see* the open receiver running in the stadium, then would watch Fitz wind up and hit him. It was painful. Pretty sure the Jets had 176 First Downs tonight...

You were there? Can you tell us what the safeties were doing all night?

The defense is missing too much talent at this time and they are trying to count on their DBs to make up for the losses in the front 7. Trying to cover weaknesses creates weaknesses elsewhere.

Missing:

Dareus - their best defender

Shaquille Lawson - 1st round pick who was being counted on to help a lot

Ragland - 2nd round pick counted on to play a big role

Aaron Williams- is playing, but hasn't been his old self due to injuries.

Any defense that is starting Worthy, Alexander and Spikes/Zach Brown is going to be in trouble.

The defense is missing too much talent at this time and they are trying to count on their DBs to make up for the losses in the front 7. Trying to cover weaknesses creates weaknesses elsewhere.

Missing:

Dareus - their best defender

Shaquille Lawson - 1st round pick who was being counted on to help a lot

Ragland - 2nd round pick counted on to play a big role

Aaron Williams- is playing, but hasn't been his old self due to injuries.

Any defense that is starting Worthy, Alexander and Spikes/Zach Brown is going to be in trouble.

Zach Brown had a hell of a game. Spikes was inactive.

Or am I just really bad at watching football?

I'll admit, I had many canned personalities tonight, but to my mind, their slot guy waxed him early, which made him shy later vs Marshall.

Pay the guy? I dunno.

He was awful but why were we in man coverage all night...Where were the safeties?