Wishing the Ryan brothers the best

major

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Not wanting to start another Rex thread, not sure if this is being discussed elsewhere:

Did anyone see the segment on the Bills last night on ESPN NFL Live? It was Trey Wingo, Jeff Saturday, Damian Woody and Jerome Bettis, discussing Rex Ryan. They showed a clip from the Ryan brothers documentary...it was Rex speaking to the team, in a lecture hall at SJF, the first day of training camp...he is doing the classic Rex, swearing every other word, speaking in a lot of platitudes and talking tough.

Only Bettis defended Rex, saying "that's who he is", for better or worse. The Bills owners hired him, to be that guy, and that is what he is giving them.

Jeff Saturday, former Colt, said, essentially, "if grown men need to be motivated like that, you are not going to win anything"

The most interesting take, however, came from Woody, who played for years for Rex. He prefaced it by saying "You all know, I am a Rex guy, I love Rex...but after a while, players start to realize, everything Rex says is about "me"...it is always centered around him, and how people perceive him. It may get guys fired up some, but at the end of the day, it doesn't teach them, or re-enforce fundamentals that it takes to win football games. And, Rex hasn't really won anything, for as big as his reputation is..."

I am pulling for Rex, because he is our guy, and I will pull for him as long as he is our guy...but I must say, I have never been a big fan.

i was noticing that a bit more through the last year with him being front and center for me now---

it really stood out in the segment when i was reading the transcript. for a "rah rah team" speech, it was all about what people were saying about him, and what he had to prove and.... i dont think i posted that hot take, but reading it coming from a player made me want to underscore that.

What always puzzles me here (it probably shouldn't, given political coverage) is the absolutism. One is either a "fan boy" or a "hater". One evidently can not be a fan who sees problems that need fixing.

I think very few people actually hate the Ryans and everyone here WANTS them and the Bills to succeed (well, maybe 1 or 2 don't). Some of us just can't let go of our analytical minds so we see see gaps, sometimes big glaring gaps, between the properties of successful coaches and teams, and the behavior the Bills and the Ryans are displaying.

It's like any successful athlete, to succeed they need a high degree of confidence and belief in themselves, but also a very realistic and sometimes harsh self-assessment of gaps and faults. That doesn't make them a "self-hater"

Dad stop. Go bills. Go Ryans.

i dont think there is a single person here that would rather they fail than succeed.

i do think there are a lot of people here that want success very badly and do not think that the Ryans have a real chance of achieving it.

agree or disagree with those people, you come off as a bit of a schmuck for thinking people want them to fail more than succeed.

What always puzzles me here (it probably shouldn't, given political coverage) is the absolutism. One is either a "fan boy" or a "hater". One evidently can not be a fan who sees problems that need fixing.

I think very few people actually hate the Ryans and everyone here WANTS them and the Bills to succeed (well, maybe 1 or 2 don't). Some of us just can't let go of our analytical minds so we see see gaps, sometimes big glaring gaps, between the properties of successful coaches and teams, and the behavior the Bills and the Ryans are displaying.

It's like any successful athlete, to succeed they need a high degree of confidence and belief in themselves, but also a very realistic and sometimes harsh self-assessment of gaps and faults. That doesn't make them a "self-hater"

There are the only appropriate responses to the OP.

I'm hoping the Ryan brothers win a super bowl this year! Can't think of a better way for them to honor their father than winning a super bowl while coaching together. Go Ryans and Go Bills!

You don't understand the struggle of being a "realist" and knowing you're right all the time without a doubt and then all these other people are wrong...ON THE INTERNET...and it's your lonely responsibility to bring that reality to them because they aren't freaking the hell out about everything and you have this very analytical mind that will make the Bills great again, but these people just are not freaking the f out about Rex having his lapband removed.

Unfortunately, there's a segment of this board that doesn't understand the difference between criticism which there is plenty to criticize and just being negative about everything. As I pointed about above though, we can't know the pain of their struggle.

Edited by jeremy2020

I like Rex Ryan a lot. I wanted him to coach here. I like his personality and would love to "have a beer with the guy". I would love it if he and his brother were able to run the table here, win the Superbowl, dedicate it to their dad and go down in football history.

However, you see the things that Jets fans/media as well as the entire Football world warned us about when we get excited. Too much chatter/showmanship, lack of discipline, sloppy in-game management. It has all come to fruition. It makes me doubtful this is going to produce any positive results

i dont think there is a single person here that would rather they fail than succeed.

i do think there are a lot of people here that want success very badly and do not think that the Ryans have a real chance of achieving it.

agree or disagree with those people, you come off as a bit of a schmuck for thinking people want them to fail more than succeed.

Saint....no man I dont think so. There are people legit rooting for their failure

When the blowhard is finally let go, I wonder what his excuses will be. I'm predicting that he will say some really stupid things to deflect blame from himself that will make him enemy #1 among the fanbase. For sure he will throw some players under the bus. Will take veiled shots at Whaley too.

Wish they would just get rid of him now instead of wasting everyone's time for the next 14 games.