Sorry, but I'm still going to miss Hogan

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hogan trying to find the first down marker...

6750f16e_ee97c1ffcbf04dbdb7757ff272fcc3a

Ouch! :lol:

Yep. Wolford was a starter in the first three Super Bowls. Left tackle in two of them. The Colts signed him to an offer sheet that made him the highest paid lineman in the league at the time, which he couldn't turn down. But they included escalators in the contract that he had to be the highest paid player on the offense. The Colts had no other big ticket items at the time with higher contracts than LTs. The Bills had Kelly and Thurman and Andre. So they couldn't match it. And the league didn't stop it.

One of the reasons I hate the Colts so much. Then they also took Marchibroda. They moved by Mayflower to Indy. Rotten fans. Worse owner. Indoor soulless stadium. I could go on...

Fwiw, I think that Hogan can be productive there. You and I have different views on him. I think that he's just a guy in the NFL (I feel the same way about Woods). I wouldn't be surprised though if he had 60-70 catches and 6 or 7 TDs (something like that).

When you compare him to Woods I don't disagree. I think they are very similar level players. It is when he is compared to Donald Jones and Scott Chandler I object.

Woods and Hogan are NFL starter level talents but not stars and not guys you pay when you have elite talent to take care of. Both will get paid however by teams in the league who are in a different spot roster wise.

Donald Jones and Scott Chandler are back end of the roster style fillers who at the point they were starting in Buffalo would have started for (at most) 3 or 4 other teams in the whole league.

When you compare him to Woods I don't disagree. I think they are very similar level players. It is when he is compared to Donald Jones and Scott Chandler I object.

Woods and Hogan are NFL starter level talents but not stars and not guys you pay when you have elite talent to take care of. Both will get paid however by teams in the league who are in a different spot roster wise.

Donald Jones and Scott Chandler are back end of the roster style fillers who at the point they were starting in Buffalo would have started for (at most) 3 or 4 other teams in the whole league.

The only place that I disagree is that I think that they are more 3's than 2's. I think that they'd both be serviceable 3's but are low end 2's.

The only place that I disagree is that I think that they are more 3's than 2's. I think that they'd both be serviceable 3's but are low end 2's.

I agree and have said that. As 2s guys you want to upgrade as 3s guys you are happy with. I class #3 as a starter now the same way I do nickel corner.

The point in this thread is whether the Bills will miss him. He is on a par with our #2 and better than all the guys hoping to be our #3 and #4. So yes, we will miss him

Edited by GunnerBill

Why do we care? Is there a single poster here that thinks the Bills should have gone 3/12 on Hogan?

Probably not. Really the discussion should be framed as a 1 year 2.5m though. That would be the 2nd round tender.

I could see that being an interesting chat. Would you rather have hogan for a 1.5m upgrade cost vs whoever ends up being #3? I was a little surprised they didn't go that route.

Probably not. Really the discussion should be framed as a 1 year 2.5m though. That would be the 2nd round tender.

I could see that being an interesting chat. Would you rather have hogan for a 1.5m upgrade cost vs whoever ends up being #3? I was a little surprised they didn't go that route.

Was that an option for the Bills? (I'm not up to speed on all the restricted free agent rules) If so, that seems to be a no brainer - I think Jerome Felton's average annual value is more than that.

Was that an option for the Bills? (I'm not up to speed on all the restricted free agent rules) If so, that seems to be a no brainer - I think Jerome Felton's average annual value is more than that.

We tendered him at the original round level (as a udfa, no compensation, just right of first refusal) which was about 900k cheaper than a second round tender.

I'm not a huge hogan fan but it surprised me that they didn't do the higher level. I'm curious what number they had on him as a max compensation. I probably would've kept him around on the higher tender too.

We tendered him at the original round level (as a udfa, no compensation, just right of first refusal) which was about 900k cheaper than a second round tender.

I'm not a huge hogan fan but it surprised me that they didn't do the higher level. I'm curious what number they had on him as a max compensation. I probably would've kept him around on the higher tender too.

Makes sense. Thanks. And it's not like anyone else out there has grabbed hold of that 3rd receiver job this camp/preseason. I know people are high on Walt Powell, but I'm skeptical - seems like the kind of small receiver who gets noticed for big plays but doesn't really fill the role we need filled. That's why I grudgingly say Little should win the competition. At least we've seen what he can do with size/strength in the end zone.

So I drafted Hogan in the last round of my fantasy draft (before defense & K though). At any rate they give an analysis of the draft:

Mr. Mendoza

Chris Hogan is owned in only 2% of all Yahoo! leagues. Let's hope that a.) Return of the Maclin has some solid inside information, or b.) he's a close friend of the family.

Ha ha, just thought that it was funny that the experts assumed that I liked Hogan!!

So I drafted Hogan in the last round of my fantasy draft (before defense & K though). At any rate they give an analysis of the draft:

Mr. Mendoza

Chris Hogan is owned in only 2% of all Yahoo! leagues. Let's hope that a.) Return of the Maclin has some solid inside information, or b.) he's a close friend of the family.

Ha ha, just thought that it was funny that the experts assumed that I liked Hogan!!

I'd actually be curious about your take on the tender question.... Would you have extended the 2nd round tender to him?

I'd actually be curious about your take on the tender question.... Would you have extended the 2nd round tender to him?

Yeah, I would have (especially if I wasn't going to draft a guy until the 6th or whatever). I liked a lot of WR in the draft and thought that it was a big need. They had a chance to upgrade from Hogan. If that wasn't the plan, they should have extended the 2nd round tender. Clearly the Bills didn't feel that way though.

LOL. That's awesome. Sorry I missed that earlier. Did you know that cat actually played lacrosse and not football?

Haha, I can't stop laughing thinking about a lacrosse playing cat.

This is a very rational view. I merely want to add that a guy who earned notoriety for getting open has the potential to be extremely productive when coupled with a first ballot hall of fame QB.

He's a good receiver, but good receivers can be easily replaced, it's the great ones you need to keep...

GREAT WR's are overrated IMO. Great WR's don't win you rings. Great QB's and Defenses do. How many teams have won championships with "ELITE" WR's?

You'd be surprised...But then again I know NOTHING about football

Edited by QuoteTheRaven83