Sorry, but I'm still going to miss Hogan

Let me put it this way

If Hogan was still on the team I would not be upset about it.....continuity is a good thing.

but

I think a guy like Greg Salas can give us everything Hogan did...and he knows where the 1st down marker is.

You CANNOT pay the wrong guys in the salary cap era....you pay for your premium talent that you brought along and you fill in with guys that can play at an NFL level.....the Blantons....the Biermans.....etc

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Let me put it this way

If Hogan was still on the team I would not be upset about it.....continuity is a good thing.

but

I think a guy like Greg Salas can give us everything Hogan did...and he knows where the 1st down marker is.

You CANNOT pay the wrong guys in the salary cap era....you pay for your premium talent that you brought along and you fill in with guys that can play at an NFL level.....the Blantons....the Biermans.....etc

Salas has 600 yards in 6 NFL seasons.

Let me put it this way

but

I think that it isn't as much the wrong guys as it is mediocrity. You pay the guys with special skills and you churn the middle and back of the roster. You give a couple of great examples with Blanton and Biermann. I think Robert Woods falls in that category as well. Personally, it would be tough to pay him $6M a year next year and I think that is roughly what he will get. You can draft a guy in the 1st 2 rounds that can duplicate (if not upgrade) his production.

Yeahhhh I'll pass. Commonsense put it well but he is behind Edleman, Gronk ,Bennett, and Lewis for sure. He is likely the 5th target at best and is likely looking at Amendola like production. If you were starting Amendola last year you were in trouble even with Edelman and Lewis hurt and Bennett not on the team. He finished as WR 44. So in a 10 man league starting 3 WRs he was on the outside looking in. In a 12 team league starting 3 he is still on the outside looking in.

Drafting Hogan at the end of your draft is hoping for an injury. I like to grab guys with potential to break out in that spot. That isn't Hogan to me.

The Pats being good doesn't make them foolproof personnel wise. In fact their drafts have not been very good and there FA signings as well. They are very good at the QB spot. That may help Hogan put up slightly better numbers but it doesn't change who the player is. They tried to force a td to Chandler last year and it didn't work. IMO Amendola is a better player than Hogan and showed as much before going to NE.

Edelman wasn't used much as a receiver his first few years in the league so it isn't quite a fair comparison. Add in that the talent was better in front of him and it isn't hard to see why he didn't put up the same numbers as Hogan. Dude is certainly winning at life and ended up in a great situation for a receiver. I think you are projecting the opposite of the bolded. There is also the thought that just because a guy leaves he is better than he was here. Wasn;t the case with Spiller (Peyton will know how to use him narrative) or Chandler (now he will star with Brady narrative).

The Pats are great at targeting Wrs who fit with Brady. Hogan runs good routes and gets open. That was a pretty decent contract he got from them and I feel like he might have a breakout type season. Amendola is always hurt and won't be surprise if Hogan got his spot. I guess we'll see but I trust the Pats' eye for receivers.

So what? No context.

I'm not buying Salas is my point. There's a reason he has only 600 career yards.

Hogan will be down in the pecking order which logically means not many opportunities. It also means he'll likely end up in very favourable situations against 5/10 DB's/LB's, especially with Brady controlling things behind OC. If Hogan continues his penchant for getting open, he may well become a significant match up nightmare to contend with.

He was injured last year, I think he was worth the money the Pat's are paying him and with Brady at QB I think he'll be good for 80 grabs this year.

I really would have been ok with keeping our top three of Watkins, Woods and Hogan.

I won't miss his slants on 3rd down which fall short of the first down (if he would of went straight he would of had the first down).

I was (and still am in some ways) bullish on this. I was 100% wrong last year. Spiller though is a little different in that he showed flashes of greatness. Chandler nor Hogan never showed flashes of greatness (and they weren't top 10 picks either). I thought that Payton would get the most out of CJ's unique skill set. He didn't get much of anything out of him.

I think the idea that Spiller will thrive is more likely than Hogan thriving. Like you said I've seen Spiller do amazing things in this league. I can think of one great catch for Hogan (against the Vikes). That said I was just trying to illustrate that it isn't always he left he sucks, sometimes it is he left and is going to be amazing because the Bills, as the narrative

I don't think the pats are as good at finding wr talent as it seems.The miss on a lot of receivers that they draft that's for sure.I think that Brady just makes everyone look better.Look at the one year they had a REAL star receiver in Moss he damn near broke every NFL record there was.Hogan was decent but we will get the same or better production out of the next man up.Its all about the system and how the player fits in that system and volume of chances.

You're right. I'll stand down. Somehow I forgot that the Bills have won 27 of the last 30 games against NE. Or that Danny Amendola has never put up double digits receptions against the Bills. Or that EJ/Kyle/Tyrod have been every bit as effective at getting the ball to Bills receivers as that guy in Foxboro, or that that guy in the hoodie never, ever goes out of his way to humiliate lesser opponents by doing things like, oh, I don't know, featuring a player who used to play for the other guys ...

I sincerely hope BB features Hogan in our two matchups against the Pats*** this year.

Hogan in theory is better than Hogan on the field. He's a big tall fast guy - HOWEVER... he plays smaller than he is, he doesn't get the ball at it's highest point, doesn't break tackles, seems to get the drops at inopportune times, seems to miss the sticks at important times.

All coach-able - but NE signed him for like 12 million and not only could we not even match that offer at the time. We shouldn't have matched that offer as we were trying to sign Glenn and TT.

Salas has 600 yards in 6 NFL seasons.

and

7 Eleven has been cut from how many teams before he caught on with us?

The Pats are great at targeting Wrs who fit with Brady. Hogan runs good routes and gets open. That was a pretty decent contract he got from them and I feel like he might have a breakout type season. Amendola is always hurt and won't be surprise if Hogan got his spot. I guess we'll see but I trust the Pats' eye for receivers.

I'm not buying Salas is my point. There's a reason he has only 600 career yards.

Yes the pats have never made a mistake on free agents.....(were is that rolling eyes emoticon)

As to the bolded...

I don't think this is necessarily true at the bottom of the roster (where I see Hogan) as opposed to the top. The Pats* have a terrible draft record at the wr position. In fact you have to go back to Edelman in 09 as their last good WR pick. They are 0-5 since then. Even in 09 they took a bust in the 3rd round. You have to go back to Deion Branch in 02 to find the next good wr they drafted. Even their FA signings leave much to be desired. Amendola, Brandon Gibson, Brandon LaFell, etc...

I think the idea that Spiller will thrive is more likely than Hogan thriving. Like you said I've seen Spiller do amazing things in this league. I can think of one great catch for Hogan (against the Vikes). That said I was just trying to illustrate that it isn't always he left he sucks, sometimes it is he left and is going to be amazing because the Bills, as the narrative

Your point is dead on. It's a little surprising that we haven't seen more of "Mario is going to dominate." Of all of the guys not here, he's the most likely. We see it every year and it's rare that guys that the Bills let leave thrive. Sometimes they want to keep them (like London Fletcher & Antoine Winfield) but can't. There aren't a ton of guys that they let walk or cut that came back to terrorize them.

As to the bolded...

I don't think this is necessarily true at the bottom of the roster (where I see Hogan) as opposed to the top. The Pats* have a terrible draft record at the wr position. In fact you have to go back to Edelman in 09 as their last good WR pick. They are 0-5 since then. Even in 09 they took a bust in the 3rd round. You have to go back to Deion Branch in 02 to find the next good wr they drafted. Even their FA signings leave much to be desired. Amendola, Brandon Gibson, Brandon LaFell, etc...

I do like the kid that they drafted this year Malcolm Mitchell. He's hurt now but he's going to be good IMO. Edited by Kirby Jackson

Your point is dead on. It's a little surprising that we haven't see more of "Mario is going to dominate." Of all of the guys not here, he's the most likely. We see it every year and it's rare that guys that the Bills let leave thrive. Sometimes they want to keep them (like London Fletcher & Antoine Winfield) but can't. There aren't a ton of guys that they let walk or cut that come back to terrorize them.

I do like the kid that they drafted this year Malcolm Mitchell. He's hurt now but he's going to be good IMO.

I'm right there with you about Mario. He is someone I fear will terrorize the Bills he's a great player when motivated and I think he will be motivated against the Bills. That said I don't expect huge things this year for him either as I don't see him staying motivated for the year (especially when the fins are out of contention).

I remember you likin Mitchell before the draft and he would fit the trend of they find a good one every 7 years trend lol.