Sorry, but I'm still going to miss Hogan

I will miss him. I think he is a better player than the majority here believe him to be. I do, however, think the Bills made the right decision not to pay him. The receiver philosophy that the Bills are now following is the Bengals model. Pay AJ Green (read Sammy Watkins) and cycle through cheap, drafted, 1 contract guys and dust settles FAs around him.

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I will miss him. I think he is a better player than the majority here believe him to be. I do, however, think the Bills made the right decision not to pay him. The receiver philosophy that the Bills are now following is the Bengals model. Pay AJ Green (read Sammy Watkins) and cycle through cheap, drafted, 1 contract guys and dust settles FAs around him.

Yup. He got wide open deep against the Pats on MNF. Better throws, we might win that game. That's why the Pats signed him.

I am drafting him in fantasy this year. And if you want to win, you would do that same.

Hogan haters: I think in the back of your minds is a lingering fear that in one of the Pats-Bills games this year he'll have something like 12 catches, 130 yards, 1 TD ...

Sort of like Scott Chandler did. I'm sure Gilmore, Darby, Robey-Coleman, and Seymour have already soiled their pants with dread.

In a lot of ways this thread speaks to my dislike for Hogan. I felt the same way with Chandler. A below average NFL player isn't all of a sudden going to become great because he has Brady. That arrogant little punk will be the same guy that he has always been and no one will miss him.

I don't know if he's better than out mid-tier receivers or not. He's more reliable but Goodwin (as an example) is so much more feared by DC's. That was my issue with Hogan (and Woods) as players. They just don't have any skill that puts fear into you. No one ever game plans for those guys.

Melvin Fowler is the only Bills player that I knew that I liked less than Hogan. I don't know if I've ever brought it up here but that guy was a jerk.

Respectfully, Kirby, I'll take TDs and receptions over defensive game planning seven days a week, and twice on Sunday...and the rare Monday and Thursday.

I was so very much in Goodwin's corner (and from the looks of some online vids, will be for for Madden this year...one guy was using him a ton), but regardless of his skill set, 20 career grabs and 3 TDs, none since 2013, really just makes him a JAG, to quote the vernacular of the thread.

Edited by dollars 2 donuts

Yup. He got wide open deep against the Pats on MNF. Better throws, we might win that game. That's why the Pats signed him.

I am drafting him in fantasy this year. And if you want to win, you would do that same.

Those leagues in which you start 8 receivers each week are rare.

Ummmm has he ever had a 100 yard game ? Cool story man.

Even though I dont think he's great, I expect his numbers to improve exponentially once Brady is throwing him the ball.

Hogan haters: I think in the back of your minds is a lingering fear that in one of the Pats-Bills games this year he'll have something like 12 catches, 130 yards, 1 TD ...

If Hogan is their top WR against us, then we win that game. Same thing teams did to us.

It's the same fear that I had about Scott Chandler becoming a Pro Bowler with Brady as his QB. Instead he had 23 more catches and 259 more yards than I did. He was the same bum that we had just in a different uniform. Fortunately for the Pats they didn't need to run him out there for every snap.

Respectfully, Kirby, I'll take TDs and receptions over defensive game planning seven days a week, and twice on Sunday...and the rare Monday and Thursday.

I was so very much in Goodwin's corner (and from the looks of some online vids, will be for for Madden this year...one guy was using him a ton), but regardless of his skill set, 20 career grabs and 3 TDs, none since 2013, really just makes him a JAG, to quote the vernacular of the thread.

That is the point though. He gets receptions because the defense lets him catch balls. I looked at it 2 years ago and when Hogan and Chandler combined for 10 catches the Bills were like 1-7. Their only win was against the Vikings and it may have been the worst game that the team played all year.

Defenses can't take away everything so they try to stop the people that can hurt them the most. No one ever tried to take away Hogan (or Woods for that matter). If they are getting the ball instead of the playmakers the Bills are in trouble.

I am not defending Goodwin either (and I have for a few years). He just cant stay healthy. He can strike fear into a defense though. You have to keep a safety over the top or get burned because there isn't a guy in the league that can run with him. He opens the running game and frees Sammy (at least a little) and Clay. He has a lot of value for that reason and isn't easy to replace. The only question is can he stay on the field to do that? At this point I am hopeful but not holding my breath.

Edited by Kirby Jackson

Even though I dont think he's great, I expect his numbers to improve exponentially once Brady is throwing him the ball.

If Hogan is their top WR against us, then we win that game. Same thing teams did to us.

I used to think that about Edelman.

Edited by dollars 2 donuts

Hogan is worth what the Pats are paying, in their system. He wouldn't be in ours. The Pats love to have quick, responsible receivers with good hands who can get separation in the first few yards and give Brady a quick read. They complete a couple of those and then send Gronk deep when the defenders adjust to the short game. Happens all the time. We can't do it like that, and no one else without Brady can either.

So this is how it goes. A player finds a system that works for him, and suddenly looks better than before. The Bills have that work for them, too. Look at Tyrod Taylor and Jerry Hughes.

Ummmm has he ever had a 100 yard game ? Cool story man.

You're right. I'll stand down. Somehow I forgot that the Bills have won 27 of the last 30 games against NE. Or that Danny Amendola has never put up double digits receptions against the Bills. Or that EJ/Kyle/Tyrod have been every bit as effective at getting the ball to Bills receivers as that guy in Foxboro, or that that guy in the hoodie never, ever goes out of his way to humiliate lesser opponents by doing things like, oh, I don't know, featuring a player who used to play for the other guys ...