Somewhere along the way....this became a very veteran D

This team is going to struggle big time putting pressure on the qb. Our best pass rusher outside of Hughes could very well be Eric Striker. I hope he starts making an impression in preseason game 2 because he was invisible in game 1

The pressure will likely come from the front, i might suggest. Throw in a DB now and again

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Look, if we can get 2013's front 7, last year's secondary, and last year's offense, we look like a contender.

I think we might have 70%-100% of the front 7, an improved secondary with Williams likely back and Corey White coming along, and the offense looks the same if not better.

*shrug* I'm Kool-Aid half full I guess

I do not think the 'sack" stat is a great metric for Rex defenses.

Pressures and stingy is fine with me.

It is a numbers game WWinPhilly. Rex coaches that.

I expect a very strong run defense to start the season. And am hopeful the DBs step up with turnovers.

Cheers to the glass half full !

The Bills should stay away from anything associated with the Draft at this point.

HA !

I do not think the 'sack" stat is a great metric for Rex defenses.

Pressures and stingy is fine with me.

It is a numbers game WWinPhilly. Rex coaches that.

I expect a very strong run defense to start the season. And am hopeful the DBs step up with turnovers.

Cheers to the glass half full !

HA !

I do sacks can be misleading. It is all about pressure and making the qb uncomfortable.

Well, we were dead last in hurries, 14 behind the second worst team. http://www.sportingcharts.com/nfl/stats/total-team-defensive-hurries/2015/

Rex had his work cut out. Hopefully, he is not overthinking things and just having Kyle, Marcel, and Jerry go get the qb.

Everyone is so focused on those sack numbers - would rather just see lower PPG allowed, than tons of sacks (accompanied by loses)...

Here, here! :beer: :beer:

When you really stop and think about a veteran defense and all the benefits of having one, it kinda makes you wonder why we even draft rookies in the first place.

Good to see you more active, and almost in regular season form :thumbsup:

I do sacks can be misleading. It is all about pressure and making the qb uncomfortable.

Well, we were dead last in hurries, 14 behind the second worst team. http://www.sportingcharts.com/nfl/stats/total-team-defensive-hurries/2015/

Rex had his work cut out. Hopefully, he is not overthinking things and just having Kyle, Marcel, and Jerry go get the qb.

I would think he will over load the line anyways. His thing is deception. Opposite of Schwartz perhaps ??

This team is going to struggle big time putting pressure on the qb. Our best pass rusher outside of Hughes could very well be Eric Striker. I hope he starts making an impression in preseason game 2 because he was invisible in game 1

I watched the game a second time and focused on specific players, Striker was one, he hustled all the time. I'm not sure how many opportunities he had, may have been luck of the draw.

Who have performed well in roles when given an opportunity to play..

Spikes - Run stopper, 2 down

Bierman - Edge setter with some rush ability

Hawthorne - Rush off the edge

Z. Brown- Pro Bowl coverage ability

Manny - Edge setter - probably most capable of 3 down play

Lo Alexander - Like Manny -- not as good at edge setting but likely better in pass

The key will be getting the right combination on the field at the right time...Z. Brown gets the most snaps just because of the way Offenses are going.

Fans can be frustrated with the injuries but not by the way Monos and Whaley have responded to them..

Bierman is better used as an anchor allowing others to make plays who gets his sacks due to cover and that constant effort.

You sure? I think Washington and a healthy Kyle Williams will help.

Pressure is a numbers game. We had more sacks in 2013 than 2014, when we had Alan Branch plugging up two gaps. Washington looks like he can do that, and we know what Dareus can do. If you are leaving Hughes and Kyle Williams single covered, someone is having a bad day.

Exactly.

Yay!!! Great news John!!!!!

Now all this defense needs to do is to increase their sack total by about 150%, and they will have almost as many as they had before Rex ruined them.

It looks promising, no?

If they give up hundreds of yards per game on the ground like they did when they were getting all those sacks, it will be a long year.

Your complete negativity towards Rex is ridiculous. Bring back Pettine, right?

If they give up hundreds of yards per game on the ground like they did when they were getting all those sacks, it will be a long year.

Your complete negativity towards Rex is ridiculous. Bring back Pettine, right?

It's a passing league and this coach destroyed our pass rush. Now we even have his loser brother to make things that much worse.

Would I rather have Pettine? Yes. I like to watch aggressive defenses, not 360 pound ballerinas. But that's just me. ;)

and now we just added another one

Lots of linebackers with lots of experience

And Old. Today's NFL is all about speed especially on Defense. Do these guys have the legs to run to the football sideline to sideline. That is what players like Ragaland bring to the field.

You sure? I think Washington and a healthy Kyle Williams will help.

Pressure is a numbers game. We had more sacks in 2013 than 2014, when we had Alan Branch plugging up two gaps. Washington looks like he can do that, and we know what Dareus can do. If you are leaving Hughes and Kyle Williams single covered, someone is having a bad day.

And don't forget Dareus.

And Old. Today's NFL is all about speed especially on Defense. Do these guys have the legs to run to the football sideline to sideline. That is what players like Ragaland bring to the field.

And don't forget Dareus.

Pretty sure I did :D

I didn't mention specifically what he's doing, but from the breakdowns of the scheme I've seen he plays 1 or 2 gaps depending on the situation.

He can do 2, but I want to see him 1 gap more.

As long as the players are well-versed in the scheme and communicate well, they will get pressure on the QB regardless of individual pass-rushing abilities.

We also had Mario, who was one of the best rushers on earth at the time. Again, he's the worst player but he had a gigantic impact on our defense.

God, I hate being so negative but I agree. Again, Mario was 2nd team all pro DE. That is a huge loss.

lol come on. This can't be serious.

Rex has such a complicated defence how ridiculous is it to hear it takes 2 years ( or more) to learn the language....and the fans eat that excuse up.

There is no way an owner or GM should accept such a line of Bull.....

What other endeavor on earth can you imagine you hire people to do a job and pay them $75,000,000 and let the manager prepare instructions so complicated they cannot do their job.

Rex is full of Bulls...

Everyone else is stupid and he is so smart they have to get their PHD before they can even listen to his theory.

Still can't believe we went from near first to last in these sorts of metrics, with mostly the same line.