Somewhere along the way....this became a very veteran D

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

and now we just added another one

Lots of linebackers with lots of experience

Who have performed well in roles when given an opportunity to play..

Spikes - Run stopper, 2 down

Bierman - Edge setter with some rush ability

Hawthorne - Rush off the edge

Z. Brown- Pro Bowl coverage ability

Manny - Edge setter - probably most capable of 3 down play

Lo Alexander - Like Manny -- not as good at edge setting but likely better in pass

The key will be getting the right combination on the field at the right time...Z. Brown gets the most snaps just because of the way Offenses are going.

Fans can be frustrated with the injuries but not by the way Monos and Whaley have responded to them..

Lo Alexander - Like Manny -- not as good at edge setting but likely better in pass

The key will be getting the right combination on the field at the right time...Z. Brown gets the most snaps just because of the way Offenses are going.

Fans can be frustrated with the injuries but not by the way Monos and Whaley have responded to them..

I seriously see Manny as a three Down back. Seriously though, as nice as it would be to have Ragland in to have more blitzing/hitting ability, the coverage ILB is pretty much the last person you want to pull off on nickel and dime sets.

This team is going to struggle big time putting pressure on the qb. Our best pass rusher outside of Hughes could very well be Eric Striker. I hope he starts making an impression in preseason game 2 because he was invisible in game 1

You sure? I think Washington and a healthy Kyle Williams will help.

Pressure is a numbers game. We had more sacks in 2013 than 2014, when we had Alan Branch plugging up two gaps. Washington looks like he can do that, and we know what Dareus can do. If you are leaving Hughes and Kyle Williams single covered, someone is having a bad day.

Pressure is a numbers game. We had more sacks in 2013 than 2014, when we had Alan Branch plugging up two gaps. Washington looks like he can do that, and we know what Dareus can do. If you are leaving Hughes and Kyle Williams single covered, someone is having a bad day.

We had almost twice as many QB pressures in 2014 over 2013.

http://www.sportingcharts.com/nfl/stats/total-team-defensive-hurries/2014/

and now we just added another one

Lots of linebackers with lots of experience

Yay!!! Great news John!!!!!

Now all this defense needs to do is to increase their sack total by about 150%, and they will have almost as many as they had before Rex ruined them.

It looks promising, no?

We had almost twice as many QB pressures in 2014 over 2013.

http://www.sportingcharts.com/nfl/stats/total-team-defensive-hurries/2014/

True. But we're talking about getting back our interior pressure, replacing a gap clogger, and still having a speed rusher in Hughes. That, in and of itself ought to help.

Now, I think getting Shaq back will help, but I'm not sure of the vets we've brought in to replace our draft picks will affect it all that much.

We also had Mario, who was one of the best rushers on earth at the time. Again, he's the worst player but he had a gigantic impact on our defense.

Guys like Spikes and the Beerman are fine but let's not kid ourselves. These are old street FAs who weren't exactly in demand. We went from 57 to 54 to 21 in sacks. There are some huge question marks on these defense, which was our strength and one of the best in the NFL a few years ago.

And if you're counting on Manny Lawson, who I like, as a big part of the puzzle, I'm very wondered.

Now all this defense needs to do is to increase their sack total by about 150%, and they will have almost as many as they had before Rex ruined them.

It looks promising, no?

God, I hate being so negative but I agree. Again, Mario was 2nd team all pro DE. That is a huge loss. Even with him not trying, offenses respected him more than guys like IK or Beerman.

But it will be great when Rex gets another year to implement his "system" because of all the injuries. Nothing like rebuilding the #4 defense in 2 years.

Dont forget, Preston Brown is a vet now too.

We also had Mario, who was one of the best rushers on earth at the time. Again, he's the worst player but he had a gigantic impact on our defense.

Guys like Spikes and the Beerman are fine but let's not kid ourselves. These are old street FAs who weren't exactly in demand. We went from 57 to 54 to 21 in sacks. There are some huge question marks on these defense, which was our strength and one of the best in the NFL a few years ago.

And if you're counting on Manny Lawson, who I like, as a big part of the puzzle, I'm very wondered.

Look, if we can get 2013's front 7, last year's secondary, and last year's offense, we look like a contender.

I think we might have 70%-100% of the front 7, an improved secondary with Williams likely back and Corey White coming along, and the offense looks the same if not better.

*shrug* I'm Kool-Aid half full I guess

Have to agree with your take on the players.

But especially so at the Pro scouting Dept. I have been banging that drum fro awhile now.

It looks promising, no?

Everyone is so focused on those sack numbers - would rather just see lower PPG allowed, than tons of sacks (accompanied by loses)...