Somewhere along the way....this became a very veteran D

Rex has such a complicated defence how ridiculous is it to hear it takes 2 years ( or more) to learn the language....and the fans eat that excuse up.

There is no way an owner or GM should accept such a line of Bull.....

What other endeavor on earth can you imagine you hire people to do a job and pay them $75,000,000 and let the manager prepare instructions so complicated they cannot do their job.

Rex is full of Bulls...

Everyone else is stupid and he is so smart they have to get their PHD before they can even listen to his theory.

Who said it takes more than two years to learn the Ryan system? Can you provide a link to that? Because the Jets accomplished it in Year #1 back in 2009.

I think someone else is full of Bulls...in this thread - and it ain't ole Rexy.

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

These recent signings are desperation moves to fill a slot with available (mediocre) NFL retreads. Our only chance at making this D something special was to have our 1,2,3 draft picks come in and play well....so much for that stragedy. OK, whaley and Monos are filling the slots......but, with what caliber of player? I am not expecting much of this D this season, despite all the Rex BS we have been getting. Who besides me finds everything Rex says lacks plausibility? And, calling this a veteran D is technically true....but, that doesn't mean these off street marginal journeymen will play well in Rex very complicated scheme. So, years of play, yes, that makes them vets....but experience in playing this D, not so much. You want to know why we keep getting Jets retreads? Because they have a year or 3 learning Rex super complicated D. They might be sub par athletically, but they know the scheme. (UGH)

Edited by bigK14094

Who said it takes more than two years to learn the Ryan system? Can you provide a link to that? Because the Jets accomplished it in Year #1 back in 2009.

The big excuse last year is the D was not on the same page as they could not learn the system...so they tried to simplify half way through the season.Duke Williams is playing better this year because Rex says he has had a year to absorb the system.

The brought in Ed Reed to help because he played in the system

They brought in Rob Ryan because he knows the system

If I have to find one of the 200 times the system has been reported I will

These recent signings are desperation moves to fill a slot with available (mediocre) NFL retreads. Our only chance at making this D something special was to have our 1,2,3 draft picks come in and play well....so much for that stragedy. OK, whaley and Monos are filling the slots......but, with what caliber of player? I am not expecting much of this D this season, despite all the Rex BS we have been getting. Who besides me finds everything Rex says lacks plausibility? And, calling this a veteran D is technically true....but, that doesn't mean these off street marginal journeymen will play well in Rex very complicated scheme. So, years of play, yes, that makes them vets....but experience in playing this D, not so much. You want to know why we keep getting Jets retreads? Because they have a year or 3 learning Rex super complicated D. They might be sub par athletically, but they know the scheme. (UGH)

exactly...Rex is so full of himself and his fathers vaunted 46 D he makes the team suffer....I hope 2 years in that the players can handle the system.

God, I hate being so negative but I agree. Again, Mario was 2nd team all pro DE. That is a huge loss. Even with him not trying, offenses respected him more than guys like IK or Beerman.

But it will be great when Rex gets another year to implement his "system" because of all the injuries. Nothing like rebuilding the #4 defense in 2 years.

It's not a huge loss, it was a huge loss after the first 2 games last year when the film on him showed the rest of the league what a slug he decided to be. Other teams didn't double team him when I was watching, they had no problem assigning him 1 OL.

I don't get how people cry about his loss when he checked out long before that and was a real liability on the field for us most of last season. It's a positive he's gone. F him and his arrogant attitude.

I'm not sure those three rookies were the ONLY CHANCE at making our D something special. I think another year in the system, the increased communication, Rex and Rob tweaking the system will be dividends this year.

About the second part, not sure what you expect them to do. Go draft another three players? Kidnap three pro-bowlers from other teams? You fill your injury slots with the next best player you can, whether that guy is on your roster, or just out there. It's not ideal, but someone has be be better than no one! :D

The big excuse last year is the D was not on the same page as they could not learn the system...so they tried to simplify half way through the season.Duke Williams is playing better this year because Rex says he has had a year to absorb the system.

The brought in Ed Reed to help because he played in the system

They brought in Rob Ryan because he knows the system

If I have to find one of the 200 times the system has been reported I will

exactly...Rex is so full of himself and his fathers vaunted 46 D he makes the team suffer....I hope 2 years in that the players can handle the system.

Make no mistake - it is much more complicated than the average system. But it's on the players to be willing to learn it. They're professionals too and should be held accountable as well.

I think the players underestimated how complicated and different it was in last year's training camp and weren't prepared going into the season and lost confidence in themselves as the season progressed.

You seem to have an emotionally-charged agenda.

You sure? I think Washington and a healthy Kyle Williams will help.

Pressure is a numbers game. We had more sacks in 2013 than 2014, when we had Alan Branch plugging up two gaps. Washington looks like he can do that, and we know what Dareus can do. If you are leaving Hughes and Kyle Williams single covered, someone is having a bad day.

With respect, I think there were many more important factors than Branch in the pass rush results in 2013, especially since Branch only played in 596 plays out of 1146 for the season, and they tended to take him out if they thought a pass was coming.

Our success in rushing the passer in 2013 was likely much more about Pettine and his scheme and everyone buying in and maybe the personnel fitting the scheme well besides.

It's not a huge loss, it was a huge loss after the first 2 games last year when the film on him showed the rest of the league what a slug he decided to be. Other teams didn't double team him when I was watching, they had no problem assigning him 1 OL.

I don't get how people cry about his loss when he checked out long before that and was a real liability on the field for us most of last season. It's a positive he's gone. F him and his arrogant attitude.

Agreed that he was and is a jerk, but Mario was not often double-teamed here over the past few years. Last year was no different. Dareus and Kyle tend to be the ones who got doubled.

One thing is for certain is that it will be an interesting season in seeing what Ryan can do with what he has on the roster. We all want to see a top 10 aggressive style defense that can get after the QB.

Time will tell and only a few weeks to go to find out.

Rex brought in Jim Leonhard that year from Baltimore. Leonhard knew Rex's defense and did wonders getting everybody on the same page on the field for the Jets that first Ryan year. We didn't have anyone like that last year, and even before the season some people were wondering if we'd have problems getting Ryan's system to work or if it would be too complicated without anyone taking the Leonhard role.

Bart Scott also came from the Ravens to the Jets to help Ryan spread understanding of the system.

I guess you could say we had Enemkpali last year but he didn't spend a lot of time being the defensive QB on the field.

Edited by Thurman#1

Make no mistake - it is much more complicated than the average system. But it's on the players to be willing to learn it. They're professionals too and should be held accountable as well.

I think the players underestimated how complicated and different it was in last year's training camp and weren't prepared going into the season and lost confidence in themselves as the season progressed.

You seem to have an emotionally-charged agenda.

Agenda...you must be kidding. Emotional of course, this is the Bills....passionate...yes

I am not one of the bloggers/professional writers hiding on this sight Just a fan.

I only call it as I see it with Rex...if the student hasn't learned the teacher has not taught.... going from a top 3 D to near bottom is Rex's responsibility.

he is responsible.....for the system and the players....if Mario Williams didn't or couldn't learn the system Rex is responsible for either teaching it better or putting his a?? in the stands. not waiting for a year

Rex brought in Jim Leonhard that year from Baltimore. Leonhard knew Rex's defense and did wonders getting everybody on the same page on the field for the Jets that first Ryan year. We didn't have anyone like that last year, and even before the season some people were wondering if we'd have problems getting Ryan's system to work or if it would be too complicated without anyone taking the Leonhard role.

Amen

You sure? I think Washington and a healthy Kyle Williams will help.

Pressure is a numbers game. We had more sacks in 2013 than 2014, when we had Alan Branch plugging up two gaps. Washington looks like he can do that, and we know what Dareus can do. If you are leaving Hughes and Kyle Williams single covered, someone is having a bad day.

Yes. Interior pressure is how you win games. Especially against immobile Brady, Carson Palmer etc. Washington is going to be a beast, it's already showing. Be sure to watch #92 next game, I'm shocked this kid was there in the 3rd round.

Yes. Interior pressure is how you win games. Especially against immobile Brady, Carson Palmer etc. Washington is going to be a beast, it's already showing. Be sure to watch #92 next game, I'm shocked this kid was there in the 3rd round.

Especially with the kind of scheme we saw with Pettine, which it looks like we are going back to. On the blitzes Kyle, Dareus and Hughes will all be single gapping. You need someone to make sure they don't get doubled. Even of he isn't lights out, just tying people up should help immensely.

I'm actually hoping we bring in an ILB from the last group of cuts that can cover a WR or RB in the middle of the field.

But I guess that makes no sense now and is not worth the effort if it will take them 2 years to learn the system. So why even try.

In all seriousness, I do think they will pick up someone closer to the start of the season that is currently not available. This could be a rookie, young LB or a $$ fiendly vet.

IK was terrible anyways. The recent signings are probably no better or no worse. Z. Brown might be the best FA signing. And if Washington can play DE/DT well then they can limp by until S. Lawson returns mid-season.

P. Brown was so bad last year. He has to play better or they are really in trouble in both the base and nickel defense.

I only call it as I see it with Rex...if the student hasn't learned the teacher has not taught.... going from a top 3 D to near bottom is Rex's responsibility.

he is responsible.....for the system and the players....if Mario Williams didn't or couldn't learn the system Rex is responsible for either teaching it better or putting his a?? in the stands. not waiting for a year

Of course Rex is responsible. But the players share that responsibility. These are paid professionals. They're not little leaguers.

Of course Rex is responsible. But the players share that responsibility. These are paid professionals. They're not little leaguers.

yes players are responsible but the coach and GM have the power to make things happen...Rex is called a players coach...they love him...that is BS, they love that he is too soft and when he falls for a player the player is safe....

the coach is also a motivator and teacher...and that goes for motivating off the field as well, teaching these spoiled employees how to be a professional.

Marv's success was based almost totally to the respect he earned and gave to his players...the lessons he taught them on and off the field, they were not angels as we all know but team and family soon came first beside selfish and boorish activities like we see now....say good bye to Marcel again....we will see what kind of a coach Rex is now....