Chargers finally sign Bosa: Who blinked?

For what I believe is the first time since the new CBA made signing rookies so easy some teams sign them all in a week, Joey Bosa is holding out into training camp. Both sides cite "precedent" - Bosa saying that top 5 picks don't have offset language and SD saying they just don't leave that out as as organization. There is also the issue of when he signing bonus is paid out. Apparently, Bosa is so eager to get to camp that they are now willing to bend on one of the two issues. But SD won't budge. And they reportedly aren't even talking. Mike McCoy has thrown shade at Bosa saying he is missing important stuff and needs to be there. All true, but how hard is it to get the guy signed when the deals are practically written for you now?

http://www.boltsfromtheblue.com/2016/8/1/12341572/bosa-watch-are-bosa-and-the-team-even-talking?utm_campaign=boltsfromtheblue&utm_content=chorus&utm_medium=social&utm_source=twitter

Edited by YoloinOhio

• Replies 297
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm normally all for the players but it's really hard to take the side of a rookie who has never played a snap of NFL football. If he played well, I'd be favor of him holding out in a couple of years. But he seems like a huge tool and I smell a scent of bust of him.

Sign your deal, hang out in SD/ SoCal, & be forgotten about. Sounds like a great situation to me.

Apparently it also has to do with Cali income tax per Bosa's agent. He wants all of his 17 mill in 2016, chargers want to pay a significant amount in March 2017. From the player perspective, the sooner the better do that money can start making money. Cali taxes Players at the highest rate in league. Looking at Elliot's deal with the Cowboys who was taken 4th, and Jalen Ramsey who was taken 5th with jags, where there is no state income tax, he will earn less over the life of the contract than those guys. However SD said they don't do business that way. They always pay the bonuses the same.

I remember stories of Bosa having difficulty in mini camps. Maybe he has some doubts?

I don't blame the guy for not wanting offset language either way. Guaranteed money is guaranteed money. I just have a hard time siding with this guy when he hasn't taken a single NFL snap.

he'll have the "difficult to work with" tag the rest of his career

i kind of agree. While I do see his side, I always think about Brady Quinn. He held out awhile, and I think it really hurt his potential. Wasn't worth it IMO.

Otoh, a pass rusher is different than a QB in terms of how much time you need and I do think he can pick things up relatively quickly. I think SD is holding tight to the purse strings and being stubborn and it is just hurting the team.

Edited by YoloinOhio

They're both being too stubborn--the whole contract is guaranteed.

However, if forced to pick, I'd say the team should blink first--you picked the guy 3rd overall. Forcing offset language is basically admitting that you aren't sure about him at this point.

They're both being too stubborn--the whole contract is guaranteed.

However, if forced to pick, I'd say the team should blink first--you picked the guy 3rd overall. Forcing offset language is basically admitting that you aren't sure about him at this point.

you get hired to a company and know what your peers and the position below you all get as benefits and you are willing to accept the lower benefit package without putting up a fight?

you get hired to a company and know what your peers and the position below you all get as benefits and you are willing to accept the lower benefit package without putting up a fight?

Fight for everything you can get, shortly people are going to realize you aren't that good at what your getting paid to do.

I think you misread (or maybe I stated it poorly)--I think that, while both sides are being too stubborn, the team is the one that should blink first (i.e. Bosa shouldn't have to take offset language or compromise on cash flow).

They picked him, and they did it 3rd overall in a very talented draft. They look silly, IMO, trying to force offset language on him--it's basically admitting that they aren't sure about him, in which case they shouldn't have taken him 1st overall.

Of course, I suppose it's possible that the impasse comes down to the cash flow of the contract, in which case I still think they're being cheap.

I think you misread (or maybe I stated it poorly)--I think that, while both sides are being too stubborn, the team is the one that should blink first (i.e. Bosa shouldn't have to take offset language or compromise on cash flow).

They picked him, and they did it 3rd overall in a very talented draft. They look silly, IMO, trying to force offset language on him--it's basically admitting that they aren't sure about him, in which case they shouldn't have taken him 1st overall.

Of course, I suppose it's possible that the impasse comes down to the cash flow of the contract, in which case I still think they're being cheap.

oh i got it - but my point was that if you agree that he should receive the benefits afforded to his pick (and some behind) by everyone else.... i dont think its too stubborn to push.

I'm not even sure there's much of a cash flow difference. Aren't teams still required to set aside all guaranteed money? It's an archaic rule from a time when NFL teams still ran into financial issues, but I think it still exists.

Edit: Yup. This article discusses it. Injury guarantees are the only ones that aren't included:

http://www.ninersnation.com/2014/6/13/5803890/breaking-down-the-cba-salaries-and-rule-governing-funding-for

Edited by BarleyNY

oh i got it - but my point was that if you agree that he should receive the benefits afforded to his pick (and some behind) by everyone else.... i dont think its too stubborn to push.

Ah ok--I guess if it were me, I'd push for a while, but in the end, I have to believe that a guy like Bosa would believe in himself enough to meet somewhere in the middle and sign simply to get on the field.

But that's me speaking from afar.

I'm not even sure there's much of a cash flow difference. Aren't teams still required to set aside all guaranteed money? It's an archaic rule from a time when NFL teams still ran into financial issues, but I think it still exists.

Yes, teams have to set aside all gtd money into escrow. The issue becomes how long they withhold signing bonus/upfront cash. For a long time, teams were able to defer portions of those payments for over a year (sometimes two); now, agents are pushing to get the money paid in less time.

It's silly IMO, as the whole thing is guaranteed anyway.

Ah ok--I guess if it were me, I'd push for a while, but in the end, I have to believe that a guy like Bosa would believe in himself enough to meet somewhere in the middle and sign simply to get on the field.

But that's me speaking from afar.

Yes, teams have to set aside all gtd money into escrow. The issue becomes how long they withhold signing bonus/upfront cash. For a long time, teams were able to defer portions of those payments for over a year (sometimes two); now, agents are pushing to get the money paid in less time.

It's silly IMO, as the whole thing is guaranteed anyway.

Yeah. It's an odd fight to have. I can see why Eli didn't want to play there.

This insinuates the chargers are operating like a "family business"

http://www.sandiegouniontribune.com/news/2016/jul/30/too-much-history-for-bosa-chargers-to-agree-soon/

I think it's putting Bosa in a weird spot with a fan base that doesn't really understand why he's holding out

I'm very glad The Bills didn't get this guy. I think he was over-drafted.

you really wouldn't want Joey bosa opposite Jerry Hughes on this DL right now? Man I would be pumped. I'm excited for Lawson too but that's going to be delayed gratification. Edited by YoloinOhio

Apparently it also has to do with Cali income tax per Bosa's agent. He wants all of his 17 mill in 2016, chargers want to pay a significant amount in March 2017. From the player perspective, the sooner the better do that money can start making money. Cali taxes Players at the highest rate in league. Looking at Elliot's deal with the Cowboys who was taken 4th, and Jalen Ramsey who was taken 5th with jags, where there is no state income tax, he will earn less over the life of the contract than those guys. However SD said they don't do business that way. They always pay the bonuses the same.

Luck of the draw as to which state you get picked. Not up to team to make up the difference.

Luck of the draw as to which state you get picked. Not up to team to make up the difference.

jared Goff, also with a California team,signed a deal which guaranteed him his signing bonus before the end of the 2016 season AND removed the offset language. Ok, he was picked two spots higher. Jalen Ramsey, picked 2 spots LOWER, also has both of these things in his deal and his state has no income tax.

jared Goff, also with a California team,signed a deal which guaranteed him his signing bonus before the end of the 2016 season AND removed the offset language. Ok, he was picked two spots higher. Jalen Ramsey, picked 2 spots LOWER, also has both of these things in his deal and his state has no income tax.

You would think the team would give in, its a top 3 pick. Obviously you loved the guy or you wouldn't have picked him, sign him. I'm not high on Bosa but this is a tad silly.

Edited by Commonsense

You would think the team would give in, its a top 3 pick. Obviously you loved the guy or you wouldn't have picked him, sign him. I'm not high on Bosa but this is a tad silly.

thats the thing - they said he was their guy from the beginning. They've wanted him for 3 years, never wavered. According to the FO. Now they want him to take a deal no other #3 pick has accepted since slotting started in 2012. Edited by YoloinOhio

thats the thing - they said he was their guy from the beginning. They've wanted him for 3 years, never wavered. According to the FO. Now they want him to take a deal no other #3 pick has accepted since slotting started in 2012.

Only thing that even makes sense is that they fell out of love in the mini camps? No idea. Stupid move putting the kid behind though. Rookie deals are a joke, just pay him and cut the ****.

Has that SD front office been intact for all or most of Rivers career?

Edited by Commonsense

thats the thing - they said he was their guy from the beginning. They've wanted him for 3 years, never wavered. According to the FO. Now they want him to take a deal no other #3 pick has accepted since slotting started in 2012.

Yea, it's ridiculous on their end.

"We've always done it this way" is a BS excuse when you've never actually been in this new position that plays by different standards based on its premium nature. In reality they have never done it this way as its their first time picking top 5 in the new system.

Edited by NoSaint

Only thing that even makes sense is that they fell out of love in the mini camps? No idea. Stupid move putting the kid behind though. Rookie deals are a joke, just pay him and cut the ****.

no just since 2013, but Spanos' son has a president role or something so he's been there

The dude is dumber than a box of rocks but they had to know that right?

Bosa should blink. If I was the chargers GM, I would hold tight. Bosa needs the chargers more then the chargers need bosa.

he can go back into the draft next year. They lose a first round pick.

Two sides haven't talked since 7/28.

Edited by YoloinOhio

The Chargers are the needy side here. Crappy team going nowhere

I totally disagree. Bosa isn't taking them to the promised land. They are the employer and they don't need him to continue on, for better or for worse. Without the team he's screwed. I wouldn't give in either if I were in the Charger camp. But then, I'd have let the Missouri football players walk or pay for tuition.