Chargers finally sign Bosa: Who blinked?

• Replies 297
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think this is entertaining on several levels. Fun to watch the chargers screw up yet again. Also fun to watch Bosa potentially screw himself. I think he is very over rated and has, if not outright bust, at least over draft written all over him. If another team was willing to offer a decent first for him, I think he would already be traded. This will end badly for both parties eventually.

Edited by MDFan

The Chargers, the only team in the NFL that has completely :censored: up the easiest system ever to be in place for rookie signings since the age of collective bargaining agreements. You drafted the guy 3rd overall, BY YOUR OWN CHOICE. WAAAAAAYYYYYY too late in the game for you to be trying to doubt that selection now. Pay the man according to his slot, stop trying to give yourself an out like no other team has finagled since this system has been in place, and get YOUR #3 pick into the fold.

Chargers are completely @#$%ing up here. San Diego is the most beautiful place on earth, but why would you play for these idiots? "More money in the first year than anybody but Wentz". Oh yeah? Then why isn't he signed? Because you lowballed him in years 2-4, that's why. Pyay thyat myan hyis myoney!

Edited by Freddie's Dead

The Chargers, the only team in the NFL that has completely :censored: up the easiest system ever to be in place for rookie signings since the age of collective bargaining agreements. You drafted the guy 3rd overall, BY YOUR OWN CHOICE. WAAAAAAYYYYYY too late in the game for you to be trying to doubt that selection now. Pay the man according to his slot, stop trying to give yourself an out like no other team has finagled since this system has been in place, and get YOUR #3 pick into the fold.

This is false. There have been lots of top 3 picks, including Carson Wentz this year who both have a deferred bonus payout and off-set language. This is all about his agent and nothing else.

Chargers are completely @#$%ing up here. San Diego is the most beautiful place on earth, but why would you play for these idiots? "More money in the first year than anybody but Wentz". Oh yeah? Then why isn't he signed? Because you lowballed him is years 2-4, that's why. Pyay thyat myan hyis myoney!

They can't really do that, that salaries are slotted into a range of total compensation as per the CBA. When they say more cash this year than anyone but Wentz they are talking about the bonus money. Not that it's outside of the range, just when it gets paid out. Bosa wants all of it now with no off-set language. The Chargers want to defer part of it which is pretty normal and have off-set language which is also pretty normal.

Edited by That's No Moon

Bosa is playing a dangerous game - threatening to hold out for the year will ultimately hurt him more than the Chargers. He won't be a top 3 pick next year. In all likelihood he'll drop several rounds. Even dropping to the end of round 1 will significantly impact the bonus money and weaken his position about off-set language since the further you drop the more rock solid standard that becomes.

On one hand I understand the financial argument he's making. He wants his money now so he can invest it now and get the benefit of it rather than having the Chargers sit on it and do the same. On the other hand, if he really does sit out the year he's not getting that year of earnings back ever and that giant bonus is gone until contract number 2. Even if he stays in the first round he'll risk losing huge money. The difference between the 3rd slot and the 32nd slot is about 18M dollars in total value. I'm sure the Chargers realize this which is why they aren't choosing to capitulate. In the end, Bosa will lose much more than San Diego if he does, in fact, refuse to play for the whole year and re-enter the draft.

Since Bosa can't force San Diego to trade his rights, if I were San Diego I'd make it abundantly clear that he will not be traded before next year's draft. His current draft slot will be allowed to expire and he will be re-slotted when he is re-drafted. If he were to sign next March, even if his rights were traded, he's still technically the #3 pick in 2016 and entitled to that slot until the 2017 draft starts.

Bosa is playing a dangerous game - threatening to hold out for the year will ultimately hurt him more than the Chargers. He won't be a top 3 pick next year. In all likelihood he'll drop several rounds. Even dropping to the end of round 1 will significantly impact the bonus money and weaken his position about off-set language since the further you drop the more rock solid standard that becomes.

Short-term, you're right, long-term, this hurts San Diego badly. If I'm a FA, do I want to go there? Not likely after this. Bosa's camp made it clear that they were willing to trade one or the other, but not both. Not sure why the Chargers want to dig in over a few million saved this year and still want offset language.

Short-term, you're right, long-term, this hurts San Diego badly. If I'm a FA, do I want to go there? Not likely after this. Bosa's camp made it clear that they were willing to trade one or the other, but not both. Not sure why the Chargers want to dig in over a few million saved this year and still want offset language.

Because it sets precedent and they just don't want to. I think you're overestimating the impact. FAs will follow the money. You have people like Antonio Gates who have had contract squabbles telling the kid to knock it off and get to camp. I'm guessing that most veterans think the kid is out of line at this point.

Both of them are being really silly about this. I don't know why this is the hill the Chargers have chosen to die on and I'm not sure why the kid is so concerned about offset language. You would need to be signed...by another team...for it to take effect.

Both of them are being really silly about this. I don't know why this is the hill the Chargers have chosen to die on and I'm not sure why the kid is so concerned about offset language. You would need to be signed...by another team...for it to take effect.

Because the agent and the agency are trying to establish firm precedent for the language to be removed for future clients and to use this "victory" as marketing for future clients.

Bosa is playing a dangerous game - threatening to hold out for the year will ultimately hurt him more than the Chargers. He won't be a top 3 pick next year. In all likelihood he'll drop several rounds.

I don't agree. We really have no idea what a holdout would do to Bosa's 2017 draft stock; this is an unprecedented situation. Assuming he stays in shape, doesn't get arrested and doesn't get injured playing pickup basketball, I don't know why Bosa would fall more than a few slots, although I suppose the perceived strength of the 2017 draft class might affect him, too. On the other hand, the Chargers lose out forever on a premium pick, a guy they supposedly thought was the best player in the entire draft, a potential superstar edge rusher that they could have had at the rookie pay scale. Plus, there is the damage to the team's reputation, and I'm sure a great deal of unhappiness among their fan base. I can't imagine the anger and frustration there would have been around here (and rightfully so) if the Bills had jerked Sammy Watkins around like this and lost his rights over something so insignificant.