Chargers finally sign Bosa: Who blinked?

• Replies 297
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This holdout is silly. Both sides should compromise, but I believe Bosa is the one who is more hurt because he needed OTA's and TC to get the scheme down and have a solid first year. Your always playing for your next contract, and this holdout could affect his play in year 1. I do think it was bad pick by the Chargers. There were more talented people at #3.

Hmmm? There just might be a pattern here with the Chargers.

@AdamSchefter

As a rookie, LaDainian Tomlinson held out 30 days, Quentin Jammer 50, Philip Rivers 25, Shawne Merriman 7. Joey Bosa holdout now at 16 days

but those others were when rookie holdouts were common...not when teams have their entire class signed a week after the draft.

To me, the Chargers are all in the wrong here, unless i am misunderstanding something. He is just asking for what everyone in the top 5 gets in terms of offset and timing of bonus right? Why should the Chargers expect to get something different than the rest of league?

Am i missing something?

Even if Joey does eventually cave so he can get on the field, the Chargers will have won the battle but lost the war. It's a terrible way to start out a relationship with a player you should hope is a cornerstone of the team and it will give them a poor reputation with future draft picks, agents, and FAs.

Even if Joey does eventually cave so he can get on the field, the Chargers will have won the battle but lost the war. It's a terrible way to start out a relationship with a player you should hope is a cornerstone of the team and it will give them a poor reputation with future draft picks, agents, and FAs.

they already have the reputation, so theres that.

CBA needs to tune this up and specifically state the offset language and who it applies to. The whole freakin purpose was to avoid this crap, and both sides are being hurt from it.

To think of the hours and huge lawyer fees that went into this and its still got holes in it....

but those others were when rookie holdouts were common...not when teams have their entire class signed a week after the draft.

To me, the Chargers are all in the wrong here, unless i am misunderstanding something. He is just asking for what everyone in the top 5 gets in terms of offset and timing of bonus right? Why should the Chargers expect to get something different than the rest of league?

Am i missing something?

I agree with both these statement. SD is looking bad right now and might have pushed Bosa development back a full year with all the camp time he's missing. In the end they are only hurting the team.

I think Doug should get on the horn and offer next years second for him....

Could it be done?... The relationship between the two may be damaged beyond repair.... A second, a late round, plus a few space- eaters on the bench? I wouldn't mind... NOT Cardale , though.

Edited by #34fan

I thought he had to get redrafted or something?

That is correct..his rights cannot be traded now. He can be signed and then traded, but then the Chargers are eating his bonus..so aint gunna happen.

Back in draft next year is his only option outside Chargers this year

This holdout is silly. Both sides should compromise, but I believe Bosa is the one who is more hurt because he needed OTA's and TC to get the scheme down and have a solid first year. Your always playing for your next contract, and this holdout could affect his play in year 1. I do think it was bad pick by the Chargers. There were more talented people at #3.

Their scheme is "our Defense blows". He's probably already up to speed.

CBA needs to tune this up and specifically state the offset language and who it applies to. The whole freakin purpose was to avoid this crap, and both sides are being hurt from it.

To think of the hours and huge lawyer fees that went into this and its still got holes in it....

The rookie pay scale wasn't created to eliminate holdouts, it was to eliminate crazy rookie heavy cap space waste and to free up more money for vets/free agents.

I'm not sure how much lawyers' fees went into this part of the CBA. Or any part of it for that matter.

Likely to be some tough-going in that locker-room too.